Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Topic Options
Hop to:
#5955437 - 07/20/17 04:50 PM To dye an wax or dip for saltwater?
Grinnersrus Offline
trapper

Loc: Virginia
I've found some marshes to trap muskrats and otter this coming season but it is saltwater and brackish leaning towards saltwater. What would be the better for trap protection traditional dye an wax or one of the dips? An if it would be a dip what brand of dip will hold up the best against typical trapping uses. As I don't want my traps to be worthless in a few years from the saltwater eating them up. I will be using 1.5 coils #1 single long springs #3 dukes

#5955466 - 07/20/17 05:36 PM Re: To dye an wax or dip for saltwater? [Re: Grinnersrus]
robert.d12 Offline
trapper

Loc: Fingerlakes New York
definitely wax

#5955467 - 07/20/17 05:37 PM Re: To dye an wax or dip for saltwater? [Re: Grinnersrus]
robert.d12 Offline
trapper

Loc: Fingerlakes New York
maybe ss traps if there is enough fur to pay for them

#5955705 - 07/20/17 09:44 PM Re: To dye an wax or dip for saltwater? [Re: Grinnersrus]
bmccoyote Offline
trapper

Loc: new mexico
What about fmj? Have never used it myself, but people rave about it.

#5957338 - 07/22/17 11:46 PM Re: To dye an wax or dip for saltwater? [Re: Grinnersrus]
2 TRAPS Offline
trapper

Loc: Bland Virginia
You need stainless traps. After year or two of trapping in saltwater your traps will be shot no matter if you wax, dip, or not. Victor makes stainless 110s you could try those. Maybe. Maybe you could get CTM to build you stainless 280s 330s for otter. CTM builds the round body grip traps. I dont no any maker of stainless footholds

#5957713 - 07/23/17 02:09 PM Re: To dye an wax or dip for saltwater? [Re: 2 TRAPS]
bad karma Offline
trapper

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted By: 2 TRAPS
You need stainless traps. After year or two of trapping in saltwater your traps will be shot no matter if you wax, dip, or not.

Wrong wrong wrong.
I have several hundred 110's that I have used for years plus 5 or 6 doz belizle 330's and 5 or 6 doz belisle 220's. They all get dyed and waxed before the season and after. All in great shape and steady killing stuff.
Stainless traps are very nice and I have several doz but they are definitely not absolutely necessary.

#5958282 - 07/24/17 09:50 AM Re: To dye an wax or dip for saltwater? [Re: Grinnersrus]
Newt Offline
trapper

Loc: Port Republic South Jersey
FORMULA ONE for me

www.snareone.com

#5958875 - 07/24/17 10:21 PM Re: To dye an wax or dip for saltwater? [Re: bad karma]
2 TRAPS Offline
trapper

I never said absolutely necessary. You dye and wax your 220s &330s?

#5958969 - 07/25/17 03:53 AM Re: To dye an wax or dip for saltwater? [Re: 2 TRAPS]
bad karma Offline
trapper

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
You dye and wax your 220s &330s?

I do. Have for many years and would not have them any other way.

#5960488 - 07/26/17 06:18 PM Re: To dye an wax or dip for saltwater? [Re: Grinnersrus]
2 TRAPS Offline
trapper

How many times have you been caught. Sounds dangerous. I never tried bc my trapping mentors said to never wax large conibears bc of safety. I just tune mine and paint every couple years.

Different question for Newt. Will formula one ever go bad. I have can that someone opened and didn't like and gave to me. I might get it out and try it on couple traps. Maybe some snares or water traps. Any signs of going bad to look for?

#5961615 - 07/28/17 05:27 AM Re: To dye an wax or dip for saltwater? [Re: Grinnersrus]
Newt Offline
trapper

Loc: Port Republic South Jersey
A hard freeze will ruin it.
If the FORMULA ONE sturs up easy,its OK. If it dont look good after sturing, dump it.

www.snareone.com

#5961675 - 07/28/17 07:16 AM Re: To dye an wax or dip for saltwater? [Re: bad karma]
USMC47 Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: bad karma
You dye and wax your 220s &330s?

I do. Have for many years and would not have them any other way.
I have a confession. So do I. I started doing it before I used mixtures of paint and spirits. Because of how fast it made them I continued to wax just the sides. Then it just became faster to wax them all. I still scrape the dog and bar. I've only been in the 330 club once and that was not a waxed trap. It just makes things more sporty. Lol.

www.derricks-nm.com

www.montanatrappingsupplies.com

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie