No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5973302 - 08/11/17 09:28 PM Wind proof water proof lighter
Eyehi Offline
trapper

Loc: St lawrence county, ny
What do yo folks use for a lighter in the bush ? ..... My camp is deep in the adirondack mountains and i always carry a pistol and lighter with me ..... I would like to have a water proof wind proof lighter on me when I'm n the woods .... What do u suggest ?

#5973319 - 08/11/17 09:47 PM Re: Wind proof water proof lighter [Re: Eyehi]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
I just use a bic.Good tinder is more important than the lighter.

Edited by Boco (08/11/17 09:48 PM)

#5973320 - 08/11/17 09:48 PM Re: Wind proof water proof lighter [Re: Eyehi]
hippie Offline
trapper

Loc: pa
Yep, hard to beat a Bic. Just keep it warm in an inside pocket if it's really cold out.

#5973332 - 08/11/17 09:53 PM Re: Wind proof water proof lighter [Re: Eyehi]
Ole Offline
trapper

Loc: ID
Have you ever tried a Soto lighter? It takes a Scripto lighter inside this gadget that produces a blue torch flame. Available at REI

#5973337 - 08/11/17 09:58 PM Re: Wind proof water proof lighter [Re: Eyehi]
warrior Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
As a smoker all this fascination with firestarters amuses me.
I've had at least two forms of starting a fire on my person daily for thirty years now. Usually a zippy and a bic. At almost no time am I put of arms reach or a step or two away from two or more others and all the adults in the household the same.

Get in the habit of carrying lighters. Buy the bis and mini bics. Before you know it you'll have a couple and there will be a few scattered in your vehicles and everywhere you go.

#5973341 - 08/11/17 10:02 PM Re: Wind proof water proof lighter [Re: Eyehi]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Loc: Gitche Gumee Wisconsin

Windmill $9 .

Bic . $2 , nothing flicks like a Bic !

Can even open up your friends beer bottles !

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#5973342 - 08/11/17 10:03 PM Re: Wind proof water proof lighter [Re: Eyehi]
adam m Offline
trapper

Loc: nm
Warrior I'm the same. I usually carry one in pocket one in jacket and one in my bag and truck. I buy the 5 packs to save money.

My grandpa always said ALWAYS carry a knife and a lighter you never know when you'll need one.

Edited by adam m (08/11/17 10:04 PM)

#5973344 - 08/11/17 10:06 PM Re: Wind proof water proof lighter [Re: Eyehi]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Loc: Gitche Gumee Wisconsin

Smokey says "Only You Can Prevent Forest Fires" !

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#5973348 - 08/11/17 10:08 PM Re: Wind proof water proof lighter [Re: Eyehi]
madcotrappwr Offline
trapper

Loc: central ohio
I love it when I ask someone for a lighter and they say , I don't smoke. What in the heck does that have to do with what I asked. I automatically figure they don't have a knife either. Weirdos.

I'm Gonna die with my boots on.

Tim Henry.

#5973379 - 08/11/17 10:27 PM Re: Wind proof water proof lighter [Re: Eyehi]
tjm Offline
trapper

Loc: SWMo.
Bic in pocket, another wrapped in saran in the truck or pack; a bic will work after several years in saran wrap. Candle stub in the plunder will light easy and burn hot enough to start a fire.

#5973397 - 08/11/17 10:35 PM Re: Wind proof water proof lighter [Re: Eyehi]
Rammer Offline
trapper

Loc: South Dakota
I always have my zippo in a pocket, with a knife, and a flashlight. I have Bics in my packs. I also always have a firesteel close, and a small jar of Vaseline. I don't smoke, but can offer a light!

#5973409 - 08/11/17 10:45 PM Re: Wind proof water proof lighter [Re: Eyehi]
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper

Loc: Green County Wisconsin
I have a zippo carried a bic for a lot of years

you want to make sure you have fluid in your pack , mine seems to be dry about every 2-3 weeks I think it evaporates

bic is good backup keep it in a water tight container in your pack

walking out the door is a check of wallet, keys , knife , phone , lighter, flashlight , gun

#5973433 - 08/11/17 11:31 PM Re: Wind proof water proof lighter [Re: Eyehi]
Marty Offline
trapper

Loc: Camp FEMA..Kansas
Stormproof matches in a waterproof case.

#5973437 - 08/11/17 11:49 PM Re: Wind proof water proof lighter [Re: Eyehi]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
For emergency,like falling thru the ice in winter,I always carry a few waxed fusees on my snowmachine and in the truck in winter.They light like a huge match,burn real hot for 10 minutes,and will even burn under water.

#5973521 - 08/12/17 07:01 AM Re: Wind proof water proof lighter [Re: Eyehi]
Newt Offline
trapper

Loc: Port Republic South Jersey
I carry a Mag.and steel every day

www.snareone.com

#5973528 - 08/12/17 07:20 AM Re: Wind proof water proof lighter [Re: Boco]
Marty Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Boco
For emergency,like falling thru the ice in winter,I always carry a few waxed fusees on my snowmachine and in the truck in winter.They light like a huge match,burn real hot for 10 minutes,and will even burn under water.

What are waxed fusees? I use waxed cotton rounds for firestarting and they work great.

#5973542 - 08/12/17 07:35 AM Re: Wind proof water proof lighter [Re: Eyehi]
Macthediver Offline
trapper

Loc: La Crosse, WI
Marty Fusee's are road flares don't see as many used these days with all the LED safety stuff. They're a good choice to have in the boat on a river trapline or duck hunting trip. Like Boco says burn hot. I've got a couple stashed in the tool box on my boat.

Myself I've never truly been in the bush. When I was a kid seemed everyone carried a pocket knife and zippo. I have carried several different type lighters most my life. My son bought me a good zippo again for my birthday several years ago. So it is now my daily carry if you put a small piece of inertube over them they don't dry out so fast. I do have Bic's which I prefer over the Scripto's got them stashed in hunting coat pockets and bags, back packs, tool box..

Mac

#5973558 - 08/12/17 07:54 AM Re: Wind proof water proof lighter [Re: Eyehi]
Marty Offline
trapper

Thanks..

#5973699 - 08/12/17 12:48 PM Re: Wind proof water proof lighter [Re: Eyehi]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
For emergencies, ditto the road flares. Having been in the cold when all those lighters won't work, a pack of road or boat flares always light and will get anything burning and are easier to use when you are wet and hypothermic.

-TJ

#5973723 - 08/12/17 01:29 PM Re: Wind proof water proof lighter [Re: Eyehi]
Marty Offline
trapper

For fire starting capability in a small carry size package I like a ferro rod and cotton rounds that have been dipped in wax...the rounds will burn 5 or more minutes and are easy to light with a rod if you break them open and fluff some of the cotton. Fatwood is nice and all but cotton rounds dipped in wax is faster. Cotton balls smeared with Vaseline is good also but waxed rounds are waterproof.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >