No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Topic Options
Hop to:
#5973555 - 08/12/17 07:47 AM ND Waterfowl?
deerdragger Offline
trapper

Loc: Grand Rapids, MN
I'm planning on taking my boys back to ND duck hunting this fall. We went out there 2 years ago and had a blast. Best waterfowl hunting of my life. We hunted NW of Jamestown. Every pothole was filled with birds.

I've been hearing about how dry ND is again this year and I'm looking for a local report on the conditions. Is there water enough to hunt in that area, or should we look elsewhere (Devils Lake area?).

We focused on puddle ducks last time, but I think we're hauling the john boat out and try and score on more divers.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

#5973819 - 08/12/17 04:37 PM Re: ND Waterfowl? [Re: deerdragger]
deerdragger Offline
trapper

Nobody from ND on here?

#5973838 - 08/12/17 05:07 PM Re: ND Waterfowl? [Re: deerdragger]
BadgerTrapper97 Offline
trapper

Loc: Fort Bliss, ND is home
I'm from ND deerdragger, I'm stationed in Texas so I don't get home much but I was on leave last month up there. It was a really dry summer, the east part of the state didn't get drought near as bad as the west but it is pretty dry. The large bodies of water that traditionally hold birds should be fine. Lots of the little pothole areas are dried up though, I would think you'll have to hunt big water or fields near roosting areas. Wish I could be more help but I won't be back up there until Christmas, best advice I have is to make a scouting trip if you can

#5973882 - 08/12/17 06:07 PM Re: ND Waterfowl? [Re: deerdragger]
traprjohn Offline
trapper

Loc: Central NC
http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/ is where I'd ask if it was me......just saying.....hope this helps!

#5974020 - 08/12/17 09:11 PM Re: ND Waterfowl? [Re: deerdragger]
Dirk Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Internet scouting at its finest

#5974124 - 08/12/17 10:41 PM Re: ND Waterfowl? [Re: deerdragger]
swedeole Offline
trapper

Loc: Bemidji
You'll be fine - you might do even better than before. In the prairies, while less water is bad for ducks, it can be great for duck hunting. It concentrates them. Sloughs don't dry up overnight, and the smaller lakes and bigger water will still be there, just lower. The ducks will probably shift a bit east with Montana and Saskatchewan so dry, so you'll be in a good spot in the central/eastern part of the state. Tons of ducks, and less water for them. That's a killer combination.

If your usual sloughs are dried up, just head a bit west and get up in the Missouri Coteau, and there will be plenty of water up there. Might be hard to hide on the shoreline tho if the water has receded, so it might not be a bad idea to bring a couple ground blinds so you can put your feet at the waters edge and hunt that way. I've done that before and it works great in the right situation.

#5974201 - 08/13/17 05:18 AM Re: ND Waterfowl? [Re: deerdragger]
deerdragger Offline
trapper

Thanks for the feedback.

And you're right, Dirk - this is internet scouting at its finest.

When we went out 2 years ago, I relied heavily on Google Earth to find a spot for us to set up at on our first morning and did pretty well. A warden check us at about 10AM (very nice guy) and when we told him that this was our first day hunting ducks in ND he gave us some insights to even better spots a few miles away. Super nice guy.

The interweb is handy - and so are many of the people on it. Thanks again to those who offered your input, and thanks BadgerTrapper for your service.

#5974268 - 08/13/17 08:06 AM Re: ND Waterfowl? [Re: deerdragger]
BFP Online   content
trapper

Loc: North Dakota
Went for a drive last night, most of the small potholes are dry. The ones that had water held a pile of ducks. We've been getting a little rain lately so that should help. It looks like they had a good hatch seen some big broods, I am in the central part of the state.