No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Topic Options
Hop to:
#5973611 - 08/12/17 09:21 AM Gear heads: Cold air intake/short rams?
Carolina Foxer Offline
trapper

Loc: NC
Anybody have any real world experiences with cold air intake systems? To they actually increase performance and fuel efficiency? Have heard and read that they can get you close to 2-5 mpg increase (at highway speeds).

Thanks for any info.

#5973633 - 08/12/17 10:14 AM Re: Gear heads: Cold air intake/short rams? [Re: Carolina Foxer]
LDW Offline
trapper

Loc: N.E. Nebr
I have one on my duramax. Probably gained about 1.5 mpg. Does have more power.

#5973648 - 08/12/17 10:46 AM Re: Gear heads: Cold air intake/short rams? [Re: Carolina Foxer]
charles Offline
trapper

Loc: Asheville, NC
That is what the inner cooler does isn't it? I'm sure any cooling of the air before the turbo(s) has to help but it is the final temp going into the cylinders that make the difference I would assume

#5973664 - 08/12/17 11:23 AM Re: Gear heads: Cold air intake/short rams? [Re: Carolina Foxer]
Chuckles84 Offline
trapper

Loc: S. Illinois
Personally all they do is increase the speed at which money leaves your wallet. They always say that their filters flow more air and filter better than stock filters. The problem is I do not believe you can do both. In order to flow more air you have to have a filter media that has bigger holes or spaces for the air to flow through. Therefore less ability to filter debris. They try to supplement that with filter oil to help catch the stuff the filter would otherwise miss.

Think about this, if these products did as they claim and give better power and gas mileage. Dont you think that the manufacturers would put them on the vehicles at the factory. I meam they have government requirements on what their average fuel economy has to be across all their vehicles. They also know that the american consumer wants more power and higher fuel mileage. So its my belief that if they actually worked so well the manufacturers would send them out on cars from the factory.

Sorry for the rant I will step down off my soap box now.

#5973677 - 08/12/17 12:10 PM Re: Gear heads: Cold air intake/short rams? [Re: Carolina Foxer]
imiller Offline
trapper

Loc: claysville, pa
more air, more fuel.... more power

#5973682 - 08/12/17 12:17 PM Re: Gear heads: Cold air intake/short rams? [Re: Carolina Foxer]
charles Offline
trapper

Loc: Asheville, NC
Chuckles has a good point. Compare an intake to an exhaust system. The least restrictive flows the best.

#5973705 - 08/12/17 12:54 PM Re: Gear heads: Cold air intake/short rams? [Re: Carolina Foxer]
ratbrain Offline
trapper

Loc: Illinois
Although I have a K&N filter on my Ford, I really do not believe they increase MPG and my reasoning is this:
The fuel/air ratio is regulated via a computer on a newer vehicle, less air coming in the intake the less gas goes through the injectors and visa versa. Just my opinion, and maybe I am wrong. With the less restrictive air filter my OLD engine seems a hair peppier.

Edited by ratbrain (08/12/17 12:55 PM)

#5974309 - 08/13/17 08:52 AM Re: Gear heads: Cold air intake/short rams? [Re: Carolina Foxer]
NEMOparttimer Offline
trapper

Loc: MO
On a stock engine they are a complete waste of money.

#5974364 - 08/13/17 10:22 AM Re: Gear heads: Cold air intake/short rams? [Re: Carolina Foxer]
OhioBoy Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
any car I owned and bought crap to make the mileage better never worked it was just wasted money.

the most drastic effect to have on fuel mileage is to change the way you drive.

#5974388 - 08/13/17 10:54 AM Re: Gear heads: Cold air intake/short rams? [Re: Carolina Foxer]
hippie Offline
trapper

Loc: pa
Most all newer vehicles alreadt draw cold air.

#5975014 - 08/13/17 10:54 PM Re: Gear heads: Cold air intake/short rams? [Re: Carolina Foxer]
52Carl Offline
trapper

Loc: Virginia
There is more oxygen in colder air. As soon as your oxygen sensor reads this excess oxygen, the computer then adjusts the fuel delivery and timing to negate that cold air modification.
At wide open throttle, the O2 sensor is out of the picture, so you will experience an improvement in performance. But at full throttle, I do not think that you will notice an increase in MPG. smile

#5975043 - 08/14/17 12:51 AM Re: Gear heads: Cold air intake/short rams? [Re: 52Carl]
Dfabs Offline
trapper

Loc: Morgantown, WV
Most vehicles, the air is heated up when it goes thru the throttle body because most vehicles circulate engine coolant thru the TB to keep the moisture in the air from freezing your throttle wide open in the winter. If you want cooler air, and you don't bypass the TB coolant lines you are just spinning your wheels anyhow.
A CAI will often times give you a snappier ride if you get a good one which translates to better gas mileage if you can keep your foot out of the throttle. If you put on a CAI though and you dont upgrade your exhaust too you aren't doing much good. More air in, more air out. If you are putting more air in you have to be able to get rid of it too. The hard part is keeping your foot out of it. My TransAm has a 350 in it and it will get 31mpg if you are easy on it, or it will get 8mpg if you drive it like I do.