ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Topic Options
Hop to:
#5979128 - 08/18/17 04:32 PM What's doing this damage?
mydogisscout Offline
trapper

Loc: Grand Blanc, Mi
Something is digging on the greens of a golf course I trap for, there's about 100-200 holes spread out over the entire green. Each hole looks to be the size of a half dollar and 1 1/2" deep. It could be skunks, but it's not the damage I'm used to seeing from stinkers. I tried to upload a pic but it's not working on my phone.

#5979137 - 08/18/17 04:40 PM Re: What's doing this damage? [Re: mydogisscout]
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper

Loc: NM
Grubbing skunk holes look like that... getting some heavy grubbing right now here with lots of litters out cruising for vittles!

#5979201 - 08/18/17 06:01 PM Re: What's doing this damage? [Re: mydogisscout]
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper

Loc: Woodhull, Illinois 74
Sounds like skunks here also. Coons tear up big chunks of sod.

#5979407 - 08/18/17 10:36 PM Re: What's doing this damage? [Re: mydogisscout]
52Carl Offline
trapper

Loc: Virginia
Grubs are normally deep in the soil this time of year, but greens are watered daily, so they can thrive shallow. The greens keeper needs to apply a grub killing pesticide. Skunks don't usually dig holes unless they smell a grub.

#5979841 - 08/19/17 03:47 PM Re: What's doing this damage? [Re: mydogisscout]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
I know they're not supposed to be that far north, but it sure sounds like armadillos to me. Can you put a camera?

#5979886 - 08/19/17 05:29 PM Re: What's doing this damage? [Re: mydogisscout]
Bob Jameson Offline

Loc: SW Pa
The supers of the course usually treat their greens more aggressively then the fairways with a product called "Merit" to kill the grub larve when they are small enough to get a lethal dose. Rain however plays a big role in distribution of the material throughout the soil for good control.

So I am skeptical of the damage being caused by a skunk. They would have to have found some food reward to keep digging for them as you describe. The greens are usually heavy sand content for a large part and not a real conducive base for a bad grub infestation.

I would suggest a camera as well to determine for sure and if it is only nocturnal damage or daytime damage or both. I have seen crows around these parts cause damage at times.

#5980777 - 08/20/17 10:11 PM Re: What's doing this damage? [Re: mydogisscout]
mydogisscout Offline
trapper

Loc: Grand Blanc, Mi
Greens got treated for the first time on my recommendation and no other green has been damaged. We're also hunting skunks nightly with our Gamo air rifles.

#5980903 - 08/21/17 07:30 AM Re: What's doing this damage? [Re: mydogisscout]
Jonesie Offline
trapper

Loc: Monroeville NJ
skunks digging for worms would be my guess. happens every spring and fall and when we have a lot of rain here in my area in peoples yards.

Edited by Jonesie (08/21/17 07:57 AM)
Rednecks Pride Outdoors pod cast