No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Snowdog snow machine [Re: Steven 49er] #5964696
08/01/17 11:32 AM
08/01/17 11:32 AM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted By: Steven 49er
Yukon, I could see possible uses for it as well. First I would have a snowmobile and an atv. Then if I had money burning a hole in my pocket I'd consider it.

I see the price as a big plus. A new snow machine is going to cost you 12k , so at $3700 this is a lot of savings. I live on a huge lake...lots of retired people live here. I would think thats where this thing would sell. These people could use it for all sorts of things without the cost of a big machine.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: Snowdog snow machine [Re: skorittnig1977] #5964809
08/01/17 03:37 PM
08/01/17 03:37 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
What is the biggest one you make Sergie,and whats the HP and how much does it weigh.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Snowdog snow machine [Re: skorittnig1977] #5964830
08/01/17 04:25 PM
08/01/17 04:25 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
Hey sergei, Send me one and I'll test it for you.

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Re: Snowdog snow machine [Re: skorittnig1977] #5964834
08/01/17 04:39 PM
08/01/17 04:39 PM
Barnum, MN
S
ScottW Offline
trapper
ScottW  Offline
trapper
S

Barnum, MN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w4GTj1OEy0

I had never heard of these before but it intrigued me to do a little research. Best thing I found was this entertaining video! Last minute and a half is the best! Don't think it would be ideal for most folks, but I think they could have a place. Happy trapping! ScottW

Re: Snowdog snow machine [Re: skorittnig1977] #5964877
08/01/17 06:14 PM
08/01/17 06:14 PM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline
trapper
MnMan  Offline
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
The concept isn't entirely new since my old neighbor had one of these Bolens that he would drive past our place back in 1969 or 1970.

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Re: Snowdog snow machine [Re: yukon254] #5964879
08/01/17 06:18 PM
08/01/17 06:18 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Originally Posted By: yukon254
Originally Posted By: Steven 49er
Yukon, I could see possible uses for it as well. First I would have a snowmobile and an atv. Then if I had money burning a hole in my pocket I'd consider it.

I see the price as a big plus. A new snow machine is going to cost you 12k , so at $3700 this is a lot of savings. I live on a huge lake...lots of retired people live here. I would think thats where this thing would sell. These people could use it for all sorts of things without the cost of a big machine.

A man can buy a good used snowmobile for 3700. At least in the lower 48.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Snowdog snow machine [Re: skorittnig1977] #5964927
08/01/17 07:26 PM
08/01/17 07:26 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Thats true here too Steve, the problem is getting them out to the bush. Takes a pretty big airplane to haul these newer sleds. Im not saying this thing will replace a snowmobile ( it won't) but I can see where it could be useful in some scenarios. A good buddy and I used to hike into this little lake and get our moose every year. Problem was that there was no trail to speak of and no snow when we hunted there. Many times we packed a moose out of there on our backs ( 5-miles or so)....I think this machine would get into places like that.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: Snowdog snow machine [Re: Boco] #5965935
08/03/17 05:59 AM
08/03/17 05:59 AM
CA
S
Sergei Offline
trapper
Sergei  Offline
trapper
S

CA
Quote:
What is the biggest one you make Sergie,and whats the HP and how much does it weigh.

Hello, Boco!

The biggest one (B13MER) has 13 HP, and it weighs 330 lbs. Average fuel consumption 0.8 g/h.

Width: 24 in
Height: 30 in
Length folded: 58 in
Length unfolded: 95 in

You can compare different models here: Models

SnowDog LLC.
getsnowdog.com
Re: Snowdog snow machine [Re: Ryan McLeod] #5965955
08/03/17 06:32 AM
08/03/17 06:32 AM
CA
S
Sergei Offline
trapper
Sergei  Offline
trapper
S

CA
Originally Posted By: Ryan McLeod
Hey sergei, Send me one and I'll test it for you.

Hi, Ryan!

In North America we operate through dealer network, perhaps the nearest dealer will be willing to arrange some testing program.

Here is the map of our dealers: Dealer locator
We just started to develop this dealer network last year but it is growing quite dynamically.

Last edited by Sergei; 08/03/17 08:31 AM.

SnowDog LLC.
getsnowdog.com
Re: Snowdog snow machine [Re: MnMan] #5966027
08/03/17 08:31 AM
08/03/17 08:31 AM
CA
S
Sergei Offline
trapper
Sergei  Offline
trapper
S

CA
Originally Posted By: MnMan
The concept isn't entirely new since my old neighbor had one of these Bolens that he would drive past our place back in 1969 or 1970.

Hello, MnMan!

You are totally right! It'd even say this idea is even older.

But many of the previous variations were built rather for fun/sport than for doing actual work and were pricey as well.
Compared to them SnowDog has higher pulling capability, while being of similar or smaller size. Its developers focus on practicality.

SnowDog LLC.
getsnowdog.com
Re: Snowdog snow machine [Re: skorittnig1977] #5966139
08/03/17 09:47 AM
08/03/17 09:47 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Thanks for the info Sergie,There is a dealer near me,I will go and check one out.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Snowdog snow machine [Re: skorittnig1977] #5982117
08/22/17 06:31 PM
08/22/17 06:31 PM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
I'm going to have to see the local dealer.

I have been thinking snowmobile. Maybe Snow Dog for me.

Vietnam--1967 46th. Const./Combat Engineers

"Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction."
"After the first shot, all plans go out the window!"
Re: Snowdog snow machine [Re: skorittnig1977] #6141150
01/29/18 10:32 AM
01/29/18 10:32 AM
NY
G
Gamalot Offline
trapper
Gamalot  Offline
trapper
G

NY
Thank you Paul. WOW, a tough crowd here and I sure do understand we all have our own opinions on machines and just about everything else.
I just bought a Snowdog B13ME and love it.

Some background may be in order. I am just reaching the ripe young age of 66 in April. I trapped as a kid but just rats and I was not very successful at it at all. I do hunt deer and dogs but I spend the majority of my outdoor sporting time on fishing. I like the remote lakes and ponds with my kayak in open water but I am a nut case when the ice gets safe and I love the hard water fishing most of all. I am retired and between my knees and aches and pains my get up and go got up and went. The past few years I had to depend on my younger buddies if I want to go hunting or ice fishing because I have the money for all the creature comforts when I fish or hunt but I need the mule power to help me drag it all in and out. I found myself sitting home on great days when I could have been out on a lake in 15 degrees because my younger pals were all at work. I never have owned a snowmobile because here in southeastern NY we have too many winters when the snows elude us. I have had numerous ATVs and side by side UTVs over the years. All were good except here in NY the laws are highly restrictive and they can't be ridden on any state owned land except on some frozen lakes. A snowmobile was out of the question and another ATV was just too expensive. I looked at a bunch of used 4 X 4 ATVs for sale and in my price range between $3,000-$4,000 I was finding a lot of capable units that all needed a lot of work and maintenance. Most were missing the titles which are a strict requirement along with plates and insurance to be legal on the ice.

I saw the Snowdog machine and immediately thought of my old Gravley walk behind mower with the old stand on sulky. It was new and in my price range and looked like just the mule I wanted. My wife pushed me to get one because she said it was cheaper than the heart attack I would have from dragging a deer or all of my ice gear. She goes to work each day and worries about where they will find me because I have to go and stay active outdoors.

The Snowdog is my mule. It is not the end all do all that many here might need or want but it does perform exactly as the guy Sergei is claiming. I have old wood roads out behind the house on 120 acres where I hunt. I don't need snow to use the dog but it does great with snow and even with deep snow. It is pretty tough to maneuver through deep and thick woods but it has the power and traction to drag me and my deer out and back home where I used to have to call a friend for help. On the ice it is a dream come true. I have a large sled shanty flip over style and load it with the power auger, bait, food and beverages, heater, ice gear, electronics and all sorts of creature comforts and go for the day. I am sure this all is well over 200 pounds. Very easy to drag on bare ice but impossible once we get snow on top. The dog will hunt and will fish and never even knows it is pulling a load. The track is not studded but goes fine on bare ice because the entire weight is right over the track. Stud screws will be added soon. I pulled out my 200+ pounds plus two additional similarly loaded buddies shanties last week through 6 inches of heavy wet snow a half mile across the lake and never slipped the track at all. The dog is a locomotive in this regard. Dragging a deer over rough terrain was a little tricky and the machine can be laid over if you don't pick the right path. A snowmobile or an ATV would do no better in tight woods simply because of the width.

I don't have a need for speed but it goes at least 20 MPH if necessary. It has a simple but tried and true Briggs & Stratton 13 HP motor that is plenty powerful enough. The one and only disadvantage I have found is the lack of reverse gearing on my B13ME model. The B13MER does come with reverse but none were available this year through my dealer. Snowdog corporate is working to get me the option as we speak and I will certainly add it the minute it arrives. Trying to pull 300 pounds backwards when you get in a tight spot is just not in my wheel house. What is even a bigger plus is the size of this machine. It folds up to store in my shed corner in a 2' X 5' spot leaving room for my mower and other lawn care gear. It drives up into my truck or trailer leaving room for my other gear. With a snowmobile or ATV I would have needed a much bigger trailer. Running a trap line with a Snowdog would all depend upon the conditions you encounter. I have stuck just about every machine I ever owned at one time or another and have helped my buddies rescue their own machines when they stuck them. Sure, a Ski Do Scandic would be the cats meow if you have an extra $13,000 laying around and don't mind taking it out and beating it to death. A Polaris Ranger is another good option with room for the chain saw so you can clear the way and widen the path as you go. Some places just don't lend themselves to any machines at all but the Snowdog will go just about any place most other machine will go and needs only a 30 inch wide relatively flat path. I am already planning the build of a wheeled sulky to drag my kayak back to the remote lakes in this area all through the spring, summer and fall. Guys that see me on the ice are very impressed with the abilities this little machine has and so far here in NY we do not need to register and insure them which saves me close to $400 per year. I am pretty sure that NY will want their "FAIR SHARE" in fees in the near future but for now I am running under the radar. It is not listed as a Motor Vehicle because you don't ride in or on it and it has no steering linkages. It is a tow motor and has no VIN numbers. It is certainly not for everyone but it works perfect for my needs and I am pretty sure others here will be very satisfied while others have negative opinions. I say "Don't knock it until you try it".

Gam

If I agreed with you we would both be wrong.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread