No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5994542 - 09/09/17 07:49 AM Enclosed Trailers?
trapperkeck Offline
trapper

Loc: Crofton, NE
I am looking to buy an enclosed trailer. How big of trailer can my 1/2 ton GMC handle? I'm thinking 7' X 12' max? Anyone have any suggestions on where to get one, anywhere between Yankton, SD and St. Cloud, MN? I would look at anything new or used (in decent shape). As of now, I can get a new H & H 7' X 12' for $3400 within 15 minutes of my house, or a 6' X 12' for $3100. Found a used (2005) 6' X 12' for $2900. Any help would be appreciated!

#5994545 - 09/09/17 07:54 AM Re: Enclosed Trailers? [Re: trapperkeck]
316 Offline
trapper

Loc: Mo, Ozarks
Look in your owners manual for the towing info if you don't have one call GMC.

#5994546 - 09/09/17 07:56 AM Re: Enclosed Trailers? [Re: 316]
trapperkeck Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: 316
Look in your owners manual for the towing info if you don't have one call GMC.
Owner's manual???!! What kind of redneck do you think I am???

#5994547 - 09/09/17 07:59 AM Re: Enclosed Trailers? [Re: trapperkeck]
yotecope Offline
trapper

Loc: ohio USA
I have a 6x12 and half ton Chevy towed it fine with a quad and some other gear in it. Guess it depends on how much weight you plan on putting in it but also remember the trailer has limits too

#5994548 - 09/09/17 08:02 AM Re: Enclosed Trailers? [Re: trapperkeck]
Steven 49er Online   content
trapper

Loc: mn north of blakely
Look up the GVWR on the inside of your driver's door sticker.

#5994552 - 09/09/17 08:10 AM Re: Enclosed Trailers? [Re: trapperkeck]
trapperkeck Offline
trapper

Our Ford Explorer says it can handle 7300 LBS. Pretty sure my pickup can do that and more.

#5994553 - 09/09/17 08:11 AM Re: Enclosed Trailers? [Re: trapperkeck]
rags57078 Offline
Humorist

Loc: se SD

Fish on !!!!!!!

http://bigbluegill.com/

42 years in this game of trapping

#5994561 - 09/09/17 08:21 AM Re: Enclosed Trailers? [Re: trapperkeck]
Lugnut Offline
trapper

Loc: SEPA
You need to know the towing capacity (maximum loaded weight of the trailer) of your particular vehicle.

That info would be in your owner's manual. But since you don't have one it might be on the specifications plate on the door jamb or somewhere on the vehicle. Or you might be able to find it online for your year, make and model with options.

#5994569 - 09/09/17 08:33 AM Re: Enclosed Trailers? [Re: rags57078]
trapperkeck Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: rags57078
http://yanktontrailers.com/
Tis where my quoted prices came from. Thanks, Bob..

#5994583 - 09/09/17 08:51 AM Re: Enclosed Trailers? [Re: trapperkeck]
tjm Offline
trapper

Loc: SWMo.
Length and width are not so important as weight, I pulled a 7x16 stock trailer behind my little 4 cylinder Ford ranger, but it was empty. 2017 GMC pickups run from a max of 7700# to a max of 12,500# depending on model, engine, transmission, tow package, etc.
That weight includes passengers, gear, trailer and cargo.
As said it's in the owner manual but most trailer sales places have charts that they can use to help you find your max load. I can over load any 1/2t with out a trailer, but would haul hay on a 7x20 trailer from field to barn without worry.

#5994607 - 09/09/17 09:22 AM Re: Enclosed Trailers? [Re: trapperkeck]
cohunt Online   content

Loc: revillo, sd
Based on decades of towing trailers(I currently own 7 trailers of which 4 are enclosed), your half ton should handle any of the trailers listed above UNLESS you overload weight. Be sure you buy a tandem if you plan to haul much weight and be sure it has GOOD electric brakes. The brake controller in your truck should also be good quality and not all sold are. Check your brake adjustment from time to time to be sure the trailer brakes come on just as you touch the brake pedal. I have a fairly long gravel drive and when I hook up a trailer I have not used in a bit, I like to get rolling down the drive, open my door to listen and lightly touch the brake pedal while adjusting the brake controller till the trailer brakes just come on. By making that adjustment, the trailer brakes actually come on just before the truck brakes and the trailer helps in the stopping. If you haul much weight, especially on gravel, you will find that stopping is MUCH more challenging than towing. For my larger, heavier trailers I use a Ford 3/4 ton diesel.

Edited by cohunt (09/09/17 09:23 AM)

#5994626 - 09/09/17 09:56 AM Re: Enclosed Trailers? [Re: trapperkeck]
trapperkeck Offline
trapper

I'm looking to move household goods with it. Furniture, etc. I don't think I could get it overloaded with the bulk/weight ratio of that type of hauling. The only time I could see a problem is if I loaded all my traps in there, along with all of my construction tools.. I was hoping to hear from the guy that "filled my 6'X12' enclosed trailer to the top with frozen, carcass, coon and hauled them from Iowa to California with no problems, pulling it with my 1993 Geo Tracker.".. LOL

Edited by trapperkeck (09/09/17 09:57 AM)

#5994631 - 09/09/17 10:07 AM Re: Enclosed Trailers? [Re: trapperkeck]
Mike Kelly Offline
trapper

Loc: Beaver Bayou MN
Originally Posted By: trapperkeck
I'm looking to move household goods with it. Furniture, etc. I don't think I could get it overloaded with the bulk/weight ratio of that type of hauling. The only time I could see a problem is if I loaded all my traps in there, along with all of my construction tools.. I was hoping to hear from the guy that "filled my 6'X12' enclosed trailer to the top with frozen, carcass, coon and hauled them from Iowa to California with no problems, pulling it with my 1993 Geo Tracker.".. LOL

It was a 04 geo tracker, and it was from Minnesota to Mississippi! Get the story straight!! cool

But seriosily, its hard to get a good deal on a used trailer in good shape. They come by, but hard to find when actively looking for it. Your likely better of getting new and set up how you want it.

#5994638 - 09/09/17 10:14 AM Re: Enclosed Trailers? [Re: Mike Kelly]
trapperkeck Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Mike Kelly

It was a 04 geo tracker, and it was from Minnesota to Mississippi! Get the story straight!! cool

But seriosily, its hard to get a good deal on a used trailer in good shape. They come by, but hard to find when actively looking for it. Your likely better of getting new and set up how you want it.
I'm finding that out. On a positive note, it looks like re-sale value is good, so not a bad investment if I buy new. Probably a pretty good alternative to renting a storage unit on a long-term basis too, I'm thinking.

#5994720 - 09/09/17 12:10 PM Re: Enclosed Trailers? [Re: trapperkeck]
rags57078 Offline
Humorist

Loc: se SD
before you leave message me your fishing hot spots on the Missouri river , jus pin them on google earth would be good LOL

Fish on !!!!!!!

http://bigbluegill.com/

42 years in this game of trapping

#5994730 - 09/09/17 12:32 PM Re: Enclosed Trailers? [Re: trapperkeck]
tjm Offline
trapper

Loc: SWMo.
look at the ranger thread, Danny Clifton pulled 16' stock trailer over the mountains loaded with traps using a Ford Ranger smile

>> https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5992018/1

Was it me I'd pick the 7'x16' TA and load it to the truck, it don't have to be completely filled up if the stuff is heavy.

Edited by tjm (09/09/17 12:38 PM)

#5994868 - 09/09/17 04:54 PM Re: Enclosed Trailers? [Re: trapperkeck]
Blindsniper Offline
trapper

Loc: South Central, MN
We pull a 8x15+V nose Enclosed trailer out west elk hunting every year with a 1/2 ton Chev/GMC. We have a small single place trailer inside, at least 1-2 ATVs and as many as 4 elk in it and it's no problem at all. It's all about getting the weight distributed correctly. We did install sway bars to the unit just for precautionary reasons, but power/ride wise there is nothing to worry about.

If I remember correctly a 1/2 ton is tow rated somewhere around 8-10,000 pounds depending on make and model.

#5994884 - 09/09/17 05:58 PM Re: Enclosed Trailers? [Re: trapperkeck]
Calvin Offline
trapper

Loc: South metro, MN
Most enclosed trailers are built in the deep south. If you're willing to drive, you can knock a couple grand off some trailers ( I did), vs anything you can buy up in the Midwest. I bought a new one cheaper than I could have bought a similar used one up here.

Get a tandem axel...You'll overload it at some point and a broken axel is no fun on the side of the road.

What most people don't realize on towing is the rear suspension of your truck in relation to tongue weight. Squat that rear end down too much and it becomes very unsafe and unstable (tail wagging the dog). Again, tandem exels will help this. Most people should install airbags in the rear, however.

#5995944 - 09/11/17 05:56 AM Re: Enclosed Trailers? [Re: trapperkeck]
Ron Marsh Offline
trapper

Loc: PA Venango Co.
I tow a 8x20 carmate closed trailer for conventions with my K1500 GMC (1/2 ton). After I got a sway bar hitch everything ran fine. load limit 7000 lb.
PTA Lifetime #131N. Salvation Army CSM
Stakes: Why leave them?
ALWAYS John 3:16 814-677-2564 http://marsh.20megsfree.com

#5995966 - 09/11/17 06:42 AM Re: Enclosed Trailers? [Re: trapperkeck]
EdP Offline
trapper

Loc: meadowview, Virginia
You can't get to the right answer with just the GVWR and vehicle towing capacity, you must also consider the hitch rating. Many times the hitch installed will not handle the maximum load the vehicle is rated for. However, I think it highly unlikely you will find an installed hitch that exceeds the vehicle rating especially if installed by the dealer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >