No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5997318 - 09/12/17 07:18 PM Seasoned coyote men
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa (where the tall corn grow...
While trapping coon on a river I trap, I always put in a few coyote sets at the ends of sand bars. They are quite effective, however I've yet to find a fool proof anchoring system. I've used pogos, earth anchors, cross staked, used drags, and I still have a few issues with each. Any suggestions? This is sugar sand, and very loose.

#5997339 - 09/12/17 07:43 PM Re: Seasoned coyote men [Re: Dave Plueger]
AntiGov Online   content
trapper

Loc: Central Oregon
How bout a 90# bag of concrete ? Water on site , dig a hole and place a permanent anchor attachment ..........??

#5997356 - 09/12/17 07:58 PM Re: Seasoned coyote men [Re: Dave Plueger]
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper

Loc: MB
Almost all my traps get pounded in sand. Some spots I go 16" down and sometimes I have to go 24" down with earth anchors. I have never lost a trap to an animal pulling the anchor out. Not sure how deep you're going? I love the sand compared to rocky ground.

#5997360 - 09/12/17 08:02 PM Re: Seasoned coyote men [Re: Dave Plueger]
RickA Offline
trapper

Loc: Hebron Nebraska
Hi Dave,
I trap in that wonderful stuff too (sugar sand) and the best thing I've found to use is a one hole concrete block. I put a piece of chain on it haul it up dig my hole so that it when I put the block in the hole, hole up I can bury the trap so that the levers rest on the block but the frame is over the open hole in the block. I use waxed dirt to finish it out and with sand packed tight around the outside it is rock solid drains well and with waxed dirt it stays weatherproof. It's the only thing I've found that was fool proof. Hope this helps.
Rick

Edited by RickA (09/12/17 08:04 PM)

#5997369 - 09/12/17 08:09 PM Re: Seasoned coyote men [Re: Dave Plueger]
jeff karsten Online   content
trapper

Loc: rogers city mi.
large treelimb or drowning slide

#5997370 - 09/12/17 08:10 PM Re: Seasoned coyote men [Re: Dave Plueger]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa (where the tall corn grow...
Thanks everyone...I've been using 18" earth anchors, but I'll have to try longer.

I like the permanent anchor idea. I trap these same locations year in and year out so once in place, I'm good to go for a while.

#5997384 - 09/12/17 08:24 PM Re: Seasoned coyote men [Re: Dave Plueger]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

Loc: Central, SD
A good sized tree limb you could use it for blocking and a drag!

Jerry Herbst

#5997408 - 09/12/17 08:34 PM Re: Seasoned coyote men [Re: Dave Plueger]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Dig a hole about 2 feet deep. Take 1 gallon paint can lids and attach a length of chain to the lid. Bury lid and your good to go.
A post hole digger makes short work of digging that hole.

#5997411 - 09/12/17 08:36 PM Re: Seasoned coyote men [Re: Dave Plueger]
Snowpa Offline
trapper

Loc: USA MN
longer chain on trap works pretty good they cant pump them near as easy

#5997412 - 09/12/17 08:36 PM Re: Seasoned coyote men [Re: The Beav]
trapperkeck Offline
trapper

Loc: Crofton, NE
Originally Posted By: The Beav
Dig a hole about 2 feet deep. Take 1 gallon paint can lids and attach a length of chain to the lid. Bury lid and your good to go.
A post hole digger makes short work of digging that hole.

I was thinking of burying an old disc blade with a length of chain welded to it..

#5997423 - 09/12/17 08:42 PM Re: Seasoned coyote men [Re: Dave Plueger]
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper

Loc: NC, Orange Co.
I do not think I would trust my equipment/catch to a flimsy paint can lid as thin as they are nowadays. Course you could add a big fender washer on the bottom of the lid to attach to and spread the load.

An old disk blade and chain would be the ticket though!

#5997558 - 09/12/17 10:32 PM Re: Seasoned coyote men [Re: Dave Plueger]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

Loc: Central, SD
It's sandy bury the whole can!

Jerry Herbst

#5997581 - 09/12/17 11:06 PM Re: Seasoned coyote men [Re: Dave Plueger]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
I can guarantee you that a large washer on the bottom side of the lid will hold just fine. Burying a disk blade would be a huge job. Or just bury a 6" square piece of plywood If you don't trust the paint can lid.

#5997601 - 09/12/17 11:44 PM Re: Seasoned coyote men [Re: Dave Plueger]
Taximan Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Montana
I would be leaning toward using a heavy limb drag and placing them ahead of season.I've used them a lot over the years and have great faith in them.It has to be sturdy enough that a coyote can't break it or chew through.The lid anchor sounds pretty good but I would worry about a coyote digging it up.They are smart and relentless.I've seen them dig quite a hole in places less soft.

A heavy enough limb will work anywhere and with a long chain that should be used,it doesn't have to crowd the set.That chain should be easy to hide in that soft ground.Plus,you don't have to bring the limb with you,pound anything or dig.

I do like the idea of permanent anchors when feasible.

#5997647 - 09/13/17 04:42 AM Re: Seasoned coyote men [Re: Dave Plueger]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

Loc: Southwestern Wisconsin
The Beav knows what he's talking about, at least this time anyway.

We can hoop your beaver mountain man style!

http://www.riverinefurtraders.com/hoop%20your%20pelt/index_hoop_your_pelt.html

#5997662 - 09/13/17 05:19 AM Re: Seasoned coyote men [Re: Dave Plueger]
jabNE Offline
trapper

Loc: Hickman, Nebraska
I was going to suggest cinder blocks also. They are a pain to transport but once on location you can reuse them season after season just move them up the bank and find a spot to hide them until next season. On a long chain using block as a drag I haven't had a coyote or big coon hardly budge them, the corners of the block dig in and stay put.
Now if it is wet conditions then a hard freeze the blocks slide on wet mud pretty easily so burying the at the set is best approach. They won't pull a block out of the ground on a long chain too much distance between trap and buried block the mechanics of it won't let the block come up at all from buried location. I had several Badgers this way too and they won't even dig the block up either.
But again at end of season just get the block up out of ground and put it up on high ground nearby where it won't be buried in flood debris or anything like that during off-season. Long chain on drags like that.
I like the idea above using the hole in block as bedding spot with levers resting on sides of block hole. I may play with that myself this year that's a good idea.
I use this setup on sand bars along the creeks on our line. They get traveled by coyotes when Creek is frozen and have been very good locations for us. Those frozen creeks are like highways for predators here. The frozen mud of typical banks are hard to set well but sand is easier to work in, just needed a good anchor system in that soft stuff. I don't remember when we started hauling cinder blocks to use but I've done it so long I just count on it now each season. Some sand bars haven't moved much at all on one Creek and those blocks have been there gosh since 1980s or so. Still work great and haven't crumbled on me yet.
These were 16" two hole blocks I had from a demo foundation job.
Jim

#5997675 - 09/13/17 05:52 AM Re: Seasoned coyote men [Re: Dave Plueger]
MChewk Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Illinois
Good ideas....while not sand I trap in a lot of black peat ground....longer 5 ft+ chain lengths and a strong reinforced trap work very well rigged to 24 inch or longer rebar.

#5997712 - 09/13/17 06:56 AM Re: Seasoned coyote men [Re: Dave Plueger]
Riverotter2 Offline
trapper

Loc: Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Could you long chain em to small trees around there. I do that a lot with drags with the long chain if it look like it might drag to far. Work good for me.

#5997719 - 09/13/17 07:01 AM Re: Seasoned coyote men [Re: Dave Plueger]
RR 3 Offline
trapper

Loc: north central Kansas
This is what I use on sand bars. 4" auger flighting welded to 1/2 in rebar . They screw in and out of sandbars without digging a hole. Never lost one yet.

#5997747 - 09/13/17 07:26 AM Re: Seasoned coyote men [Re: Dave Plueger]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Maine
Long chain or cable with a drag and wrap the drag around a tree,etc.
2 otter
1 bobcat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >