No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Goodman banner
(Please support Joe Goodman because of his support for us)

Topic Options
Hop to:
#6023128 - 10/11/17 12:55 PM OK guys - Red River
Ice_Rat Offline
trapper

Loc: WI
I'm going down to OK at the end of the month. I'll be pretty much on top of the Red River. Is there a decent fishery there, or am I going to be wasting time trying? The reason I ask is that I'm going down with my daughter to get a barrel horse and train on it for a few days with the seller, and would like some kind of activity to do other than horse stuff. Thanks for any insight you may have.

#6023162 - 10/11/17 01:39 PM Re: OK guys - Red River [Re: Ice_Rat]
Matt28 Offline
trapper

Loc: Oklahoma
Only fished thered river once, well actually i set some trot lines in a creek at the mouth of the red river. I caught some flathead but that was in the summer months. If i was you and wanted to fish some i would try to find a lake close by.

#6023179 - 10/11/17 01:57 PM Re: OK guys - Red River [Re: Ice_Rat]
okie4570 Offline
trapper

Loc: NW Oklahoma
Hopefully Jeff Laskowski will chime in. There are some huge alligator gar, but not sure that's done this time of the year.

#6023275 - 10/11/17 04:19 PM Re: OK guys - Red River [Re: Ice_Rat]
countrygun Offline
trapper

Loc: N. Texas
Depends on where on the Red. I am on Lake Texoma which is on the Red. We have striped bass, you know the ocean kind. They range from bout 3-15 lbs and great eating. A guide will take you out for $300 which is what it cost to rent a boat. Well worth it. They are also east of the lake, downriver, and can be fished with a surf rod, weighted bobber, and live bait from the bank. The record is out of the river not the lake.

#6023287 - 10/11/17 04:30 PM Re: OK guys - Red River [Re: Ice_Rat]
Steven 49er Offline
trapper

Loc: mn north of blakely
I don't know anything about that Red River but the Red River of hte north is about the best channel cat fishery in the country.

#6024076 - 10/12/17 11:08 AM Re: OK guys - Red River [Re: Ice_Rat]
Ice_Rat Offline
trapper

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. We will be in Burneyville OK, if that makes a difference. We're also going on a hog hunt with the rancher one night as well.

#6024314 - 10/12/17 04:56 PM Re: OK guys - Red River [Re: Ice_Rat]
countrygun Offline
trapper

Yep, just the other side of Marietta. Bout 40 miles west of me. You can pm me and I will put you in touch w/ a guide if you want. The river is shallow right there at Burneyville cause it is on Seville Bend, but there are big catfish in holes up and down the river. If you want guaranteed action I would get a guide and go striper fishing, w/ a limit of 25 you will take home a lot of good white fish. The cost of a guide usually is all inclusive (save the tip) for up to 3 persons.

#6024315 - 10/12/17 05:01 PM Re: OK guys - Red River [Re: Ice_Rat]
countrygun Offline
trapper

Lots of good horse trails along the lake as well

#6024403 - 10/12/17 07:30 PM Re: OK guys - Red River [Re: Ice_Rat]
Ice_Rat Offline
trapper

Thanks country. I'll probably pass on the guide stuff, fishing would be a couple hours whenever the time may allow. I'm sure we'll be down the trails for sure. We're staying at the red river ranch.