No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Goodman banner
(Please support Joe Goodman because of his support for us)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#6023381 - 10/11/17 06:47 PM History buffs, Worst general of WWII?
Finster Offline
trapper

Loc: Fredonia, PA.
I just thought it might be a good topic to discuss. Perhaps enlighten me a bit. Who in your opinion was the worst general in WWII on any side??? I think I would start with de Gaulle. Although he was more of a prima donna at the end and did little through the war other than command the French resistance. A tie with him and possibly worse would be Monte, he just plain old sucked as a general. terrible tactics and a prima donna beyond compare. I believe he lost more battles than he won. I guess another contender would have to be MacArthur. I feel he was overrated as a leader. Your thoughts?

#6023389 - 10/11/17 06:53 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
Fisherman Offline
trapper

Loc: northern New York
Mac Arthur may have been pompous but he was a brilliant general. Monte was pompous and a lousy general.

Edited by 330-Trapper (10/11/17 09:15 PM)
Edit Reason: Language

#6023391 - 10/11/17 06:59 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
Snare loop Offline
trapper

Loc: West Central Mn
Major General John P. Lucas at Anzio

#6023394 - 10/11/17 07:02 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
Tweed Offline
trapper

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Just about any Russian general that Stalin didn't kill....

#6023402 - 10/11/17 07:07 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Tweed]
Finster Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Tweed
Just about any Russian general that Stalin didn't kill....
The reason for that is because Stalin killed all of the good ones. He was afraid of a coup.

#6023404 - 10/11/17 07:08 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
OldCoon Offline
trapper

Loc: Pennsylvania
Major General Lloyd Fredendall of the US Army or any French or Italian general officer.

#6023412 - 10/11/17 07:12 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
Finster Offline
trapper

Well, maybe we should include a reason? People are coming up with generals I've never heard of. Not that I'm an expert or anything. But let's fill in the gaps.

#6023442 - 10/11/17 07:29 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
kickingbird Offline
trapper

Loc: southern Illinois
Monte was definitely a prima donna but blood and guts Patton had a touch of it too. I liked Ike.

#6023450 - 10/11/17 07:35 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
52Carl Offline
trapper

Loc: Virginia
General der Infaterie Albert Burkhalter.
He could not keep Stalag 13 in order, nor marry off his widowed daughter.
He and Colonel Wilhelm Klink should have both been sent to the Russian Front.

#6023451 - 10/11/17 07:35 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: kickingbird]
Finster Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: kickingbird
Monte was definitely a prima donna but blood and guts Patton had a touch of it too. I liked Ike.
All generals are prima donna's to an extent. However, Patton was a brilliant strategist. Not very PC even for the time but as far as a leader and a general, he was brilliant.

#6023452 - 10/11/17 07:36 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
pass-thru Offline
trapper

Loc: Va
So this pontificating is based on your vast experience in the military?

Never was in a combat zone, calls de Gaulle a do little prima donna. Finstarded.

#6023453 - 10/11/17 07:37 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: 52Carl]
Finster Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: 52Carl
General der Infaterie Albert Burkhalter.
He could not keep Stalag 13 in order, nor marry off his widowed daughter.
He and Colonel Wilhelm Klink should have both been sent to the Russian Front.
You watch way to much nick at nite! laugh

#6023454 - 10/11/17 07:37 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
KeithC Online   content
trapper

Loc: Champaign County, Ohio.
The German generals, who would not stand up to Hitler, who let him start a war on multiple fronts.

Keith

#6023464 - 10/11/17 07:41 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Snare loop]
corky Offline
trapper

Loc: Three Lakes,WI 66
Originally Posted By: Snare loop
Major General John P. Lucas at Anzio

Certainly would have got my dad's vote. He was an original Darby's Ranger bazookaman that got shot twice at Anzio. Met my mom, an army nurse, on the hospital ship.

#6023474 - 10/11/17 07:46 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
Todd Lund Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Field Marshall Gerd Von Rundstedt.Was so convinced we were going to invade France at Pas De Calais, he would not move troops even after we landed at Normandy. He thought it was a diversion. Wouldn't listen to Rommel.

#6023479 - 10/11/17 07:49 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Todd Lund]
Finster Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Todd Lund
Field Marshall Gerd Von Rundstedt.Was so convinced we were going to invade France at Pas De Calais, he would not move troops even after we landed at Normandy. He thought it was a diversion. Wouldn't listen to Rommel.
That's a good one! However, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't he decide to move troops and tanks but needed Hitler's approval and he wouldn't give it?

#6023511 - 10/11/17 08:19 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
USMC47 Offline

Loc: California
I completely disagree with the statement that all, or even most, generals are prima donnas. I've met, worked with, and fought with dozens of them.

www.derricks-nm.com

www.montanatrappingsupplies.com

#6023514 - 10/11/17 08:21 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: USMC47]
Finster Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: USMC47
I completely disagree with the statement that all, or even most, generals are prima donnas. I've met, worked with, and fought with dozens of them.
Noted

#6023524 - 10/11/17 08:34 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
Todd Lund Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
True Finster except Hitler was asleep when the invasion began and did not want to be disturbed. Alfred Jodl, Hitler's chief of staff said so. I suppose we could add Jodl to the list. Actually not moving the entire 15th Army out of LeHarve/Calais area bought valuable time for the Allies. That was Von Runsdedts call.

#6023556 - 10/11/17 08:53 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Todd Lund]
Finster Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Todd Lund
True Finster except Hitler was asleep when the invasion began and did not want to be disturbed. Alfred Jodl, Hitler's chief of staff said so. I suppose we could add Jodl to the list. Actually not moving the entire 15th Army out of LeHarve/Calais area bought valuable time for the Allies. That was Von Runsdedts call.
I know there was an entire tank division that they wouldn't move to the front either. Was that under Von Runsdedt's command also? Or was that an SS division? I had thought that they were Southeast of the Beachheads, though I may be wrong.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >