No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Goodman banner
(Please support Joe Goodman because of his support for us)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#6023576 - 10/11/17 09:13 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
Todd Lund Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
It was the 2nd SS panzer division. The 21st Panzer and Panzer Lehr divisions we're closer to the Normandy coast and could have really raised you know what early in the invasion.They were regular Wehrmacht.Thank god Rommel was in Germany on June 6 for his wife's birthday. I think he would have jumped in the staff car, disobeyed everyone, and counter attacked.

#6023585 - 10/11/17 09:17 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
Art S Offline
trapper

Loc: Pa
Don't really think they "wouldn't" move those tanks,
more they couldn't,we had air superiority by then.
Victors write the history books,how about Lt.Gen.Arthur Percival,
the fall of "The Gibraltar of the east" Singapore,
where 30,000 Japanese captured a fortified city with 85,000 British soldiers in it.
The Japanese commander set up a siege and "showed" his troops and "re-showed" them
again in different clothes.Percival thought he was against more people,
so he surrendered.

Edited by Art S (10/11/17 09:26 PM)

#6023607 - 10/11/17 09:34 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
Kyt Offline
trapper

Loc: Kentucky
Whoever the Brit general was that surrendered I believe Singapore to the Japanese without putting up much of a fight.

I don't share the opinion that Monte was a bad general. He was largely responsible for beating Rommel in Africa. He was methodical and overly cautious but he got the job done. His methods kept lots of British soldiers from being buried in a foreign country. If Prima donna was a disqualifier Patton wouldn't make honorable mention.

Early on MacArthur made some monumental blunders that would have ended his career if there had been any suitable substitute. In the end he made up for the mistakes. He evidently came to think he owned the army in the Philipines and nobody could tell him what to do. That thinking got him fired in Korea.

#6023682 - 10/11/17 10:44 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
bob56 Offline
trapper

Loc: NW Missouri
If Truman had left MacArthur alone, we might not have the problems of today with North Korea?

#6023700 - 10/11/17 11:30 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Fisherman]
walleyed Offline
trapper

Loc: Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
Originally Posted By: Fisherman
Mac Arthur may have been pompous but he was a brilliant general. Monte was pompous and a lousy general.

No Arguement On Montgomery being an Imbecile. One Just Need Study The Debacle that was Operation Market Garden to drive home that point

But MacArthur Was A Bumbling, Incompetent, Insubordinate Arse Hurl.

Definitely The Worst All Time General Whose Chronic Incompetence Led Many, Many Thousands of His Soldiers To Their Death In Phillipines, During The Greater South-Western Pacific Campaign, and In North Korea.

He Skated From Corregidor in A P.T. Boat Leaving General Jonathan Wainwright holding The Bag, and Condemned Thousands Of American & Phillipino Troops to Die During The Baatan Death March.

Thank God The Naval Admirals, and Marine Corps Generals Were In Charge of Most Of The Pacific War Rather Than McArthur, Or The U.S. and Austrailian Casualties Would Have Easily Surpassed The Million Mark.

w

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

#6023706 - 10/12/17 12:00 AM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
Todd Lund Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Didn't General Percival have all of his big artillery pointed out to the ocean because he didn't think the Japs could move thru the jungle?

#6023784 - 10/12/17 06:13 AM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
OhioBoy Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
I doubt this German General was loved back at headquarters after this.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/30/wwi...de-my-body.html

#6023790 - 10/12/17 06:19 AM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Todd Lund]
Finster Offline
trapper

Loc: Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted By: Todd Lund
Didn't General Percival have all of his big artillery pointed out to the ocean because he didn't think the Japs could move thru the jungle?
While I agree that he was not much of a leader, I do think that he was under supplied and he did have very green troops from what I have read. His plight is easy to Monday morning quarterback but being there in that situation with the troops and supplies he had, while I don't think he gets a pass, I do think that it can be understood. Another thing to think about here is that Percival was a "Gentleman soldier". Unfortunately for his men, I believe that he thought that his men would be treated with respect and as equals by the Japanese. I do not believe he knew that the Japanese considered surrender as the act of a coward. This is just guesswork on my part but it does seem to make sense and explain some actions. Percival's plight has many dynamics to it.

#6023896 - 10/12/17 08:29 AM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
DaYooper14 Online   content
trapper

Loc: North Carolina
Clark - for his laziness when invading Italy, sending in under-strength division to get wiped out @ Monte Cassino & rather than breaking out @ Anzio and running them down, headed towards worthless Rome

Kulik - This hombre so messed w/ pre-war preparations and his love of horse that the t-34 was under-gunned as a result of his actions. He was also the commander of the leningrad front at the start

Gamelin - Infamous believer of the Maginot Line - oh it'll hold em out, I think I'll move all my troops to Belgium.

#6023972 - 10/12/17 09:34 AM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: DaYooper14]
Finster Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: DaYooper14
Gamelin - Infamous believer of the Maginot Line - oh it'll hold em out, I think I'll move all my troops to Belgium.

Well, it did hold them. It held Germans, there ammo and other supplies quiet comfortably and securely for awhile after they flew over it and drove around it! grin

Edited by Finster (10/12/17 09:34 AM)

#6023996 - 10/12/17 10:03 AM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: bob56]
Tweed Offline
trapper

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: bob56
If Truman had left MacArthur alone, we might not have the problems of today with North Korea?

Agreed!

There would be no North Korea...just a United Korean Democratic People's Republic.

Mac was the reason the Chinese flooded in.

#6024010 - 10/12/17 10:22 AM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Tweed]
FlyinFinn Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
Originally Posted By: Tweed
Just about any Russian general that Stalin didn't kill....

General Zhukov was credited by General Eisenhower as being a superb general.

The war in Europe ended with victory and nobody could have done that better than Marshal Zhukov we owed him that credit. He is a modest person, and so we can't undervalue his position in our mind. When we can come back to our Motherland, there must be another type of Order in Russia, an Order named after Zhukov, which is awarded to everybody who can learn the bravery, the far vision, and the decisiveness of this soldier.

&#8201;Dwight D. Eisenhower

#6024016 - 10/12/17 10:25 AM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
FlyinFinn Offline
trapper

Also zhukov was mostly responsible for leading 20 million commies to their death, for that we owe him our gratitude

#6024017 - 10/12/17 10:26 AM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
Pressure9pa Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Indiana
British Field Marshall Claude Auchinleck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Auchinleck

Bungled the operation in North Africa and made for a revolving door of subordinate officers.

#6024040 - 10/12/17 10:43 AM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: FlyinFinn]
Tweed Offline
trapper

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: FlyinFinn
Also zhukov was mostly responsible for leading 20 million commies to their death, for that we owe him our gratitude

The politicians we're commies...those were 20 million men.

I don't know much about Zhukov but my thoughts are that the only reason the Nazis didn't role all the way to Novosibirsk is because there were more Russian bodies than there were Nazi bullets.

#6024049 - 10/12/17 10:46 AM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
FlyinFinn Offline
trapper

Potato PoTato, a commie is as a commie does.

#6024085 - 10/12/17 11:15 AM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
Trapper7 Offline
trapper

Loc: MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Finster, you seem to be somewhat of a history buff. Do you ever watch the TV show Mysteries at the Museum? I never miss it, it's so interesting like how the most insignificant thing can make or change history.

#6024090 - 10/12/17 11:18 AM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Trapper7]
Finster Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Trapper7
Finster, you seem to be somewhat of a history buff. Do you ever watch the TV show Mysteries at the Museum? I never miss it, it's so interesting like how the most insignificant thing can make or change history.
Yes, the wife and I watch it when we come across it.

#6024091 - 10/12/17 11:21 AM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
Trapper7 Offline
trapper

Loc: MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
It's on every Thursday night at 8:00PM here, 9:00PM your time.

#6024343 - 10/12/17 05:54 PM Re: History buffs, Worst general of WWII? [Re: Finster]
BigBob Offline
trapper

Loc: St. Louis Co, Mo
Originally Posted By: Finster
Originally Posted By: Todd Lund
Field Marshall Gerd Von Rundstedt.Was so convinced we were going to invade France at Pas De Calais, he would not move troops even after we landed at Normandy. He thought it was a diversion. Wouldn't listen to Rommel.
That's a good one! However, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't he decide to move troops and tanks but needed Hitler's approval and he wouldn't give it?

No, They were too afraid to wake the crazy man up to ask!

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >