No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Goodman banner
(Please support Joe Goodman because of his support for us)

Topic Options
Hop to:
#6024120 - 10/12/17 11:58 AM Gucci being a Richard
Miley Offline
trapper

Loc: Suffolk new york
By REUTERSOCT. 12, 2017, 7:45 A.M. E.D.T.
Continue reading the main storyShare This Page
Tweet
Email
More
Save
PARIS Italy's Gucci will stop using fur in its designs from next year, joining a growing number of fashion houses looking at alternatives after coming under pressure from animal rights activists and changing consumer tastes.

Gucci, part of Paris-based luxury group Kering, has paraded models down the catwalk in luxurious fur coats in the past and creative director Alessandro Michele brought in loafers and sling-backs lined with kangaroo-fur two years ago.

But the brand said it would now join an alliance of fur-free companies, adding it would sell off remaining accessories and clothing made with animal fur in a charity auction.

Gucci has sold some of its mink fur coats for over $40,000.

Marco Bizzarri, Gucci's chief executive, said the brand would drop fur starting from its spring and summer 2018 collection and that its new approach had been agreed on with Michele.

Gucci has enjoyed a revival under Michele, whose flamboyant, colorful designs have fueled sales over the past two years.

Continue reading the main story
ADVERTISEMENT

Continue reading the main story

Animal rights campaigners said they hoped the move by the Italian fashion house could have a knock-on effect, although it is far from the first label to stop using fur.

"Gucci's decision will radically change the future of fashion," Simone Pavesi, manager of animal-free fashion at Italian campaign group LAV. "As fashion becomes more and more ethical, supply chains that revolve around animals will be a thing of the past."

Newsletter Sign UpContinue reading the main story
The Interpreter Newsletter
Understand the world with sharp insight and commentary on the major news stories of the week.

You agree to receive occasional updates and special offers for The New York Times's products and services.

SEE SAMPLE PRIVACY POLICY OPT OUT OR CONTACT US ANYTIME
In June, Yoox Net-A-Porter, a multi-brand online luxury retailer, adopted a fur-free policy on accessories and clothing sold on the site.

Italy's Giorgio Armani last year committed to stop using fur, saying technological progress meant there was no longer any justification for cruelty to animals, while U.S. brand Calvin Klein took the plunge in 1994.

Anti-fur protesters have been known to demonstrate outside catwalk shows at fashion weeks around the world to call for an end to practices many see as cruel to animals, and luxury goods buyers - especially younger generations - have become more sensitive to environmental issues, too.

Many labels and other luxury groups such as LVMH - owner of Louis Vuitton - are tightening their policies on how leather is sourced from tanneries and how they obtain furs, after a series of scandals over how animals are treated in breeding farms.

France's Hermes was caught in a storm two years ago when a crocodile farm used to supply leather for one of its best-selling handbags was accused of cruel slaughter practices.

#6024132 - 10/12/17 12:20 PM Re: Gucci being a Richard [Re: Miley]
Catch22 Offline
trapper

Loc: OH
IMO, the left learned to harness and effectively use Alinsky's rules for radical's a long time ago and have gotten very good at getting there way. You see it in the fur industry, school systems, the 2nd etc. They keep the pressure on, until they cave. We lack in "fighting fire with fire", and keep loosing ground.

#6024133 - 10/12/17 12:21 PM Re: Gucci being a Richard [Re: Miley]
bbusser Offline
trapper

Loc: Lodi, WI
Well not like I liked that stuff anyway, this is a blow to the fur market. Looks like they are cutting off the heads of the snake, one at a time. Time to go after them with a weed wacker.

#6024142 - 10/12/17 12:31 PM Re: Gucci being a Richard [Re: Miley]
Tweed Offline
trapper

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I think a good starting point would be to quit politicizing fur as an us vs them argument.

As many are doing....try to appeal to those that wouldn't typically choose fur by highlighting it as a renewable natural resource. Speak about this green alternative with passion and show how this complements other green lifestyle decisions.

#6024195 - 10/12/17 01:55 PM Re: Gucci being a Richard [Re: Miley]
hippie Offline
trapper

Loc: pa
Tweed says,
"I think a good starting point would be to quit politicizing fur as an us vs them arguement."

Tell that the the leftists and then get back to us. It wasn't us putting political pressure on Gucci.

I say, FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE. AND TO MANYS DISMAY, THAT STARTS WITHIN OUR OWN RANKS!!!!!!!!!!

#6024203 - 10/12/17 02:08 PM Re: Gucci being a Richard [Re: hippie]
Tweed Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: hippie
Tweed says,
"I think a good starting point would be to quit politicizing fur as an us vs them arguement."

Tell that the the leftists and then get back to us. It wasn't us putting political pressure on Gucci.

I say, FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE. AND TO MANYS DISMAY, THAT STARTS WITHIN OUR OWN RANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Hippie..... Despite what you tell yourself and others in the right-wing bubble....there are many lefties that hold the view that I just outlined. If you really want to view trapping as a money making en devour we'd do well to capitalize on that thinking within that demographic.

Quit thinking with your emotions...this is business....

#6024208 - 10/12/17 02:28 PM Re: Gucci being a Richard [Re: Miley]
hippie Offline
trapper

Yea, that's the liberals wish. Just sit there and take it.

Like bringing a pot to a boil and the frog just sitting in it. NO THANKS, I'LL FIGHT YOU THE WHOLE WAY BUD.

#6024211 - 10/12/17 02:33 PM Re: Gucci being a Richard [Re: Miley]
Tweed Offline
trapper

Just take it? Just take what? Would you rather mandate that Gucci use fur? Sounds like you're for state control.

I'm talking about changing the conversation to fit our goals....wow..

Oh and that frog in a pot illustration is old and inaccurate. They'll jump out.

#6024212 - 10/12/17 02:34 PM Re: Gucci being a Richard [Re: Miley]
Northcountry Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Miley
....and luxury goods buyers - especially younger generations - have become more sensitive to environmental issues, too.

So instead of natural fur which is organic, sustainable and carbon neutral....they choose synthetic clothing materials, which are derived from fossil fuels, generate carbon emmisions during production and are essentially non-biodegradable so they persist in landfills for generations to come. Good logic.

-NC

#6024213 - 10/12/17 02:36 PM Re: Gucci being a Richard [Re: Miley]
hippie Offline
trapper

While they (animal rights activists) are campaigning and stopping fur use, we are just suppose to sit and be the nice guy.

Only an idiot would recommend such a path. Sorry, but i know who our enemy is and i'm not gonna bend over for them or you.

#6024215 - 10/12/17 02:38 PM Re: Gucci being a Richard [Re: Northcountry]
Tweed Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Northcountry
Originally Posted By: Miley
....and luxury goods buyers - especially younger generations - have become more sensitive to environmental issues, too.

So instead of natural fur which is organic, sustainable and carbon neutral....they choose synthetic clothing materials, which are derived from fossil fuels, generate carbon emmisions during production and are essentially non-biodegradable so they persist in landfills for generations to come. Good logic.

-NC

Exactly! And we need to keep repeating that, keep beating Tha drum, until the environmentally conscious get it.

Edited by Tweed (10/12/17 02:38 PM)

#6024231 - 10/12/17 03:00 PM Re: Gucci being a Richard [Re: Tweed]
Catch22 Offline
trapper

Loc: OH
Originally Posted By: Tweed
Just take it? Just take what? Would you rather mandate that Gucci use fur? Sounds like you're for state control.

I'm talking about changing the conversation to fit our goals....wow..

Oh and that frog in a pot illustration is old and inaccurate. They'll jump out.

That sure sounds great, but is delusional. You cannot reason with people who are all jacked up on emotion. Fire with fire is the only recourse here.

#6024234 - 10/12/17 03:05 PM Re: Gucci being a Richard [Re: Miley]
hippie Offline
trapper

Repeat it to who? where? When?

IMO, we don't have the structure the anti's have to pay for commercials and campaign like they do. Our best bet at this point is our vote. Trouble is we have too many fence setters. These sitters give them numbers that they can advertise, and votes/a voice in the chambers.

Leadership has more sway than given credit. You just watch, BLM and that whole movement will die soon, where as when our gov't was fueling them, they were growing louder and louder.

Sit on the fence and your cutting your own throat.

#6024329 - 10/12/17 05:25 PM Re: Gucci being a Richard [Re: Miley]
Green Bay Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Other high end companies which don't use fur:

In 2016, Italian designer Giorgio Armani Vivienne Westwood, Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren also went fur-free.

Not looking good for the high end fashion part of the market.

Brian

#6024393 - 10/12/17 07:14 PM Re: Gucci being a Richard [Re: Miley]
Tweed Offline
trapper

Catch...Hippie...you guys sound like quitters... defeatist.....

I believe things can be righted.

This article is a very left, feminist magazine and gives an argument for real fur (but also faux). There are plenty of other very left and fashion mags that makes good, ecological arguments for real fur.

https://jezebel.com/5946371/fur-is-back-big-time---heres-why

#6024406 - 10/12/17 07:33 PM Re: Gucci being a Richard [Re: Miley]
Tweed Offline
trapper

Brian mentioned some that are rejecting fur. Here's a few that still embrace our product.
Alexander McQueen, Dolce & Gabbana, Michael Kors, Oscar de la Renta, Prada, Vivienne Westwood, and Yves Saint Laurent

Thankfully my wife loves buying Michael Kors.

http://fortune.com/2015/06/28/fur-fashion-comeback/

When the subject comes up, we would do well to show some self control on not fly off the handle, going in some politicized rant but speak their language about the benefits of fur.

We're not going to win over the antis...but we can win over millions of others.

#6024419 - 10/12/17 07:52 PM Re: Gucci being a Richard [Re: Miley]
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper

Loc: Oakland, MS
Andy S is going to be so disappointed, LOL.

#6024572 - 10/12/17 11:36 PM Re: Gucci being a Richard [Re: Miley]
mink99 Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa
Go to "The truth about fur" website as their is tons of info about fur being green and about fighting the anti's.

#6024580 - 10/13/17 01:16 AM Re: Gucci being a Richard [Re: Miley]
don Wolf Offline

Loc: evansville Indiana age70
NAFA and FHA should be buying air time to show how the use of fur is no different that what most people have for breakfast or dinner. Meat and eggs is a staple in the world. Leather has been and will be for the foreseeable future. I know that the auction houses already have campaigns for the use of fur, but they need to run adds in news papers, Radio and Television.