ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Beaver job with a mighty wrench thrown in the mix! [Re: Birch Tree] #6024594
10/13/17 05:04 AM
10/13/17 05:04 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
I would agree that if this where stricly going to be a ADC job to walk away

But you have stated several times that you want to fur trap here and are willing to not get paid,,,, so why not start early and get that $1000 for trapping the first two weeks. Use drowning sets at the pullouts near the yard where the tree cutting is taking place

It sounds to me like you are not going to walk away from this anyway, so get the $1000 for your first so weeks and fur trap there the rest of your life Win/win.

And yes I get he made it harder for youn that's why take the $1000 instead of waiting for fur season Do the math, how man beaver pelts doe it take to get $1000 in today's market. 1oo plus

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Beaver job with a mighty wrench thrown in the mix! [Re: Birch Tree] #6024640
10/13/17 07:47 AM
10/13/17 07:47 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
It sometimes comes down to whether you are consider yourself a professional ADC trapper there to solve a problem or a hobby fur trapper. Mixing fur with ADC muddies the water. One local trapper would charge $50 for beaver in summer, catch and burry, no extra work, but would fur trap in season for $20 after skinning scraping and stretching, which might have been fun, but made little business sense. With little time and low prices I usually don't have time or energy to skin, but give in season beaver to any trapper who wants them. As much as is might be tempting to trade ADC for fur, it diminishes what we do all year long. I drive by lots of beaver locations in season, leaving them to fur trappers. You will still end up getting work as fur trappers don't always show up as they promise and many times catch a few while educating a last one or two. The only one that counts is the last one.

Re: Beaver job with a mighty wrench thrown in the mix! [Re: Traps R Us] #6024969
10/13/17 02:45 PM
10/13/17 02:45 PM
Desert Southwest-CA
DezertTrapper Offline
trapper
DezertTrapper  Offline
trapper

Desert Southwest-CA
Originally Posted By: Uwe
No you don't. as long as it's not a gay wedding and you're not a bakery, you're fine!

grin

Member NTA
Member NRA
Platinum Member: School of Hard Knocks
Re: Beaver job with a mighty wrench thrown in the mix! [Re: Birch Tree] #6025345
10/13/17 11:36 PM
10/13/17 11:36 PM
Wright county, Minnesota
Birch Tree Offline OP
trapper
Birch Tree  Offline OP
trapper

Wright county, Minnesota
OK, here is the scoop from today. I showed up and he took me right to where he did the damage and shooting, it was all in one channel about a 1/4 mile away from the main swamp. He killed 4 beaver from that lodge, 3 were shot with 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge mag number 4 goose loads ( he watched them die) the 4th beaver was shredded up when he took his heavy equipment and tore up the lodge and it came out and ended up in the blades. The lodge is not repaired, he did see a kit there the other day he said so I am guessing it is hanging out because he doesn't know what to do without the rest of his family. The dam, however, is repaired. I am guessing beaver from the colony below this one repaired it or the kit may have repaired it?

He apologized for making it harder on me and he sweetened the deal with lifetime trapping any species on his land and deer and small game hunting as well plus I have access to the main 1000 acre swamp from his property (water in MN is considered public domain/right-of-way as long as you have legal access to it) and he is letting me use his enclosed heated UTV anytime I am there and I get a couple 330s and 2 MB750 traps he bought last year. How can a guy pass that up?

I do not feel he made it harder for me because he just eliminated 1 colony that was farthest from the rest. Honestly, this place is huge, I found 4 more lodges downstream and even observed 2 beaver out in early evening, I was standing in plain sight and they didn't seem to care, in this particular lower pond I couldn't find the lodge earlier but then when I came back to set the small dam they built on the creek channel I got to watch this beaver (probably a 2-year-old) and she showed me where her lodge/bank den was and I saw a kit romping in the woods above the shoreline. I only had my pistol with me so I couldn't shoot them but now I know where to set traps.

I put out 13 traps/snares this afternoon, I didn't use any scents or castor for these as I want to save that for if/when I am not catching them in their travel ways. I did, however, bait 2 sets with fresh popple branches shaved down and stuck on shore behind the trap. I set all 3 slides around the damaged lodge to try and catch the kit and I set the lower channel below the dam break for any beaver coming up from below. I used snares on two slides because if they miss the beaver he probably won't think anything of them when they fall away. Only two lodge entrances are set with 330s on lower lodges that showed light activity, everything else is on main travel paths that showed heavy use and slides with wet grass and mud. I haven't even touched the surface of this place, I need a whole lot more traps lol. I will load up some pics I took tonight and will take a lot more as I set more traps and check for catches.

Mark Skokan, Buffalo MN.

MTA and NTA Member.
Re: Beaver job with a mighty wrench thrown in the mix! [Re: Birch Tree] #6025378
10/14/17 12:24 AM
10/14/17 12:24 AM
Wright county, Minnesota
Birch Tree Offline OP
trapper
Birch Tree  Offline OP
trapper

Wright county, Minnesota
some pics of my snares, first time ever using snares for water trapping! I painted my snares a dark brown, they blend in very well!

Mark Skokan, Buffalo MN.

MTA and NTA Member.
Re: Beaver job with a mighty wrench thrown in the mix! [Re: Birch Tree] #6025381
10/14/17 12:27 AM
10/14/17 12:27 AM
Wright county, Minnesota
Birch Tree Offline OP
trapper
Birch Tree  Offline OP
trapper

Wright county, Minnesota
Some pictures of one of the lower beaver ponds, this is where I observed the 2 beaver this evening, it was around 5:30 when I saw them.

Mark Skokan, Buffalo MN.

MTA and NTA Member.
Re: Beaver job with a mighty wrench thrown in the mix! [Re: Birch Tree] #6025413
10/14/17 05:19 AM
10/14/17 05:19 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Sounds to me like you are a fur trapper FIRST, if that's true and the landowner is happy with what you do. And you still get the $1,000. Good for you. ADC and fur trapping are diffrent and I think you get that now

ADC on beavers usually means remove them all
Fur trapping means take the surplus

I do free ADC work for those that key me trap coyotes but. It's only free after I get to trap one season
Meaning I charge you standard rates the first time I do ADC work, if you have property I want to coyote trap and I get to trap it. Future ADC is free

Good luck to you.

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Beaver job with a mighty wrench thrown in the mix! [Re: Birch Tree] #6025691
10/14/17 02:38 PM
10/14/17 02:38 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Online mad
trapper
BigBob  Online Mad
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Go for it! And get that lifetime (his or yours?) access thing in writing.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Beaver job with a mighty wrench thrown in the mix! [Re: Birch Tree] #6025760
10/14/17 04:17 PM
10/14/17 04:17 PM
Desert Southwest-CA
DezertTrapper Offline
trapper
DezertTrapper  Offline
trapper

Desert Southwest-CA
That's one heck of a deal-if you can get it in writing!!

I have a land owner that I trap out yearly for free. I consider it community service. He's elderly and I made a deal with him. All the critters I trap from his land go to a wildlife rehab center to help feed owls, hawks, etc. that have come in injured or poisoned-he's remote, so I know what I trap is clean. If I get bored and things are quiet on the job front, it keeps me busy. What I love most is that this gives me an opportunity to try out new ideas without any pressure from a client. This year I had coolers crammed full of frozen rodents for those folks that I couldn't pick up by myself.

Member NTA
Member NRA
Platinum Member: School of Hard Knocks
Re: Beaver job with a mighty wrench thrown in the mix! [Re: Birch Tree] #6026854
10/15/17 09:41 PM
10/15/17 09:41 PM
Wright county, Minnesota
Birch Tree Offline OP
trapper
Birch Tree  Offline OP
trapper

Wright county, Minnesota
I didn't post yesterday because I was just too tired,

@ Michigan Trappin, I was a fur trapper first, I am working on the transition to ADC trapping but I will always be a fur trapper just because I love trapping. This situation was not optimal and it came out of left field but I have to roll with it or lose it and right now I am winning because I get paid to trap these beaver and I still get to trap the area for fur. I do plan on taking all the beaver off of his property but there will always be more since his land is attached to a 1000 acre swamp with more beaver.

I kept all my traps within 250 yards of the lodge and dam he blew up and the results are as follows: 2 adults, 4 2-year-olds, 1-year-old/kit and 1 muskrat incidental. no scents or lures were used so far. I have ordered another dozen 330's and will start moving closer to the main swamp and the other colonies. The customer was waiting at the end of the day with checkbook in hand and glad to pay! Pictures attached below!

Mark Skokan, Buffalo MN.

MTA and NTA Member.
Re: Beaver job with a mighty wrench thrown in the mix! [Re: Birch Tree] #6026857
10/15/17 09:45 PM
10/15/17 09:45 PM
Wright county, Minnesota
Birch Tree Offline OP
trapper
Birch Tree  Offline OP
trapper

Wright county, Minnesota
Two day total in one picture, the land owner wanted to show his wife and kids all the beaver at once. He is very happy so far.

First nights catch

Mark Skokan, Buffalo MN.

MTA and NTA Member.
Re: Beaver job with a mighty wrench thrown in the mix! [Re: Birch Tree] #6026869
10/15/17 09:55 PM
10/15/17 09:55 PM
Wright county, Minnesota
Birch Tree Offline OP
trapper
Birch Tree  Offline OP
trapper

Wright county, Minnesota
Adult beaver in a Victor #4 DLSP drowner set on the crossover. Muskrat in the 330 caught at the entrance of the feed den on the other side of the crossover. This crossover is heavily used. Where the UTV is parked is on top of a feed den they built using an old colvert as the entrance, I have the entrance set at the culvert and the drowner on the crossover and a snare on another slide, farther down to the right of the UTV I have a large lodge set with a 330. I believe I have taken the 2 adults from this lodge, the brute I got this morning was around 50lbs and pitch black hair, the one yesterday was around 40-45lbs in the victor.

Mark Skokan, Buffalo MN.

MTA and NTA Member.
Re: Beaver job with a mighty wrench thrown in the mix! [Re: Birch Tree] #6026877
10/15/17 10:03 PM
10/15/17 10:03 PM
Wright county, Minnesota
Birch Tree Offline OP
trapper
Birch Tree  Offline OP
trapper

Wright county, Minnesota
This is a lower pond with a very tall dam, it is about 5 feet high and very narrow. I wanted to do a dam break here but it is not possible so I set a 330 in an H stand at the bottom and it has produced 2 2-year-olds so far, there is a kit there as I saw him Friday evening. I have another drowner set on the small pond above this one but I know it is a low probability set and I did it to catch any wanderers. There is an old lodge there but shows no sign of use.

Mark Skokan, Buffalo MN.

MTA and NTA Member.
Re: Beaver job with a mighty wrench thrown in the mix! [Re: Birch Tree] #6026883
10/15/17 10:08 PM
10/15/17 10:08 PM
Wright county, Minnesota
Birch Tree Offline OP
trapper
Birch Tree  Offline OP
trapper

Wright county, Minnesota
When I check tomorrow I plan to pull up these sets and give them a break and see if they are still working the area in a day or two I will set accordingly and when my new dozen 330s arrive I will start working them in towards the main swamp and next week I will be in there and hitting the multiple dams and lodges on the perimeter and close in on the main colony from there.

Note: I love these H stands, I am not propping them up with sticks and they fall over to the bottom of the channel with a catch letting any other beaver swim over top. I gotta get more!

Last edited by Birch Tree; 10/15/17 10:11 PM.

Mark Skokan, Buffalo MN.

MTA and NTA Member.
Re: Beaver job with a mighty wrench thrown in the mix! [Re: Birch Tree] #6026958
10/15/17 11:12 PM
10/15/17 11:12 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Good job,sounds like you'll have them cleaned out in no time.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Beaver job with a mighty wrench thrown in the mix! [Re: Birch Tree] #6027154
10/16/17 08:52 AM
10/16/17 08:52 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Glad to see it's working out for you and landowner is happy too. Lifetime access is a huge plus. Agree that access in writing would be nice, in case something happens....

Originally Posted By: Birch Tree

Note: I love these H stands, I am not propping them up with sticks and they fall over to the bottom of the channel with a catch letting any other beaver swim over top. I gotta get more!

Metal stabilizers are a time saver.

Re: Beaver job with a mighty wrench thrown in the mix! [Re: Birch Tree] #6027505
10/16/17 04:42 PM
10/16/17 04:42 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Online content
trapper
MChewk  Online Content
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Nice job Birchtree! Folks don't forget who can get the job done.

Re: Beaver job with a mighty wrench thrown in the mix! [Re: Birch Tree] #6030360
10/19/17 08:14 PM
10/19/17 08:14 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Online content
trapper
Nessmuck  Online Content
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Do you guys charge by the head or a flat rate ?... I charge a set up fee and by the head.

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Beaver job with a mighty wrench thrown in the mix! [Re: Birch Tree] #6030632
10/19/17 11:18 PM
10/19/17 11:18 PM
Wright county, Minnesota
Birch Tree Offline OP
trapper
Birch Tree  Offline OP
trapper

Wright county, Minnesota
Broke the dam when I pulled my traps out Monday and she is still free-flowing as of this afternoon. Even had one of the beaver the landowner shot end up floating near the dam, the water level is down about a foot and dropping ever so slowly. Monday I had the last beaver in a 330 just below the dam. I have now moved to the pond in the owner's backyard and into the big swamp!

@Nessmuck, I charge an inspection fee and a setup fee plus a per animal charge. I am thinking of going to an hourly charge for some customers that really can't afford a high-cost job but I haven't fully decided on that, will hammer it out by next February when I start advertising in the paper.

Last edited by Birch Tree; 10/19/17 11:23 PM.

Mark Skokan, Buffalo MN.

MTA and NTA Member.
Re: Beaver job with a mighty wrench thrown in the mix! [Re: Birch Tree] #6037837
10/27/17 08:09 PM
10/27/17 08:09 PM
Morgan Co. KY
T
TrappingTom Offline
trapper
TrappingTom  Offline
trapper
T

Morgan Co. KY
Back during my ADC days in Ohio I ran into a sweet deal like that at an insurance office! Good luck!

Tom

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread