ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Gray squirrels and colony-style traps #6046477
11/06/17 12:05 AM
11/06/17 12:05 AM
Northern Minnesota
W
webfootwhacker Offline OP
trapper
webfootwhacker  Offline OP
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
Did I see on another thread somebody mentioning grays getting out of gravity door traps? I generally use swing panels, but if there is more than one squirrel inside they will chew out causing more damage. My usual approach has been to trap squirrels very near the access point (usually on the roof) until I think I have them thinned and then set a swing panel to be sure none are left inside (I rarely catch one in the trap mounted over the hole, which tells me the job is over). I charge per job so if I get a few extras in nearby baited cages its not an extra cost to the homeowner but adds to my time spent on site, disposal/relocation, etc. I have on a couple of occasions used colony style traps that I built specifically for gray squirrels, but haven't caught anything in them. I don't believe in any case there were squirrels inside when I mounted the traps (or they would of had to chew out if they got back inside after being trapped). I have good luck on flyers and reds with other homemade gravity door repeating traps so I don't think its my trap building skills but rather would like some discussion on gravity doors for grays in general. Thanks.

Re: Gray squirrels and colony-style traps [Re: webfootwhacker] #6046683
11/06/17 09:27 AM
11/06/17 09:27 AM
southern ont. canada
B
bob pake Offline
trapper
bob pake  Offline
trapper
B

southern ont. canada
I've had a long slow learning curve with colony squirrel traps. (if it's long , expensive , and somewhat pain full even I can learn )
I used a home made colony blocking a chew through . While doing my paper work I counted three squirrels in the trap. Before I finished the book work there were two then one then three then two. The animals were able to run slam their noggin into the drop door probably causing it to flex a little and with a lighting quick move they could slip under the door.
Next I put a spring on the door. It helped a little but only a little.
Next I extended the door with the last couple of inches laying flat on the cage floor ,this would have the varmint standing on the door that it is trying to open. Another small improvement but not there yet.
A T man member explained nose bumps ( a piece of cage material at the end of the door pointing up, about a inch in my case. This prevents the squirrel from working the bottom of the door. )
The nose bump was the needle in the hay stack that I was looking for. Those traps now work.
I believe that covering the traps is also a advantage. A squirrel in a open cage will work relentlessly to escape. In a covered trap they calm down a lot. ( I know I know I used the word calm and squirrel in the same explanation , I am sold on all cages being covered )
The safeguard colony type traps that we buy work well. They squeeze the animal into about a three inch by three inch cage. It seems as though keeping the squirrel with very limited space works .
I trouble shoot squirrel traps on the front porch to make sure whats in there stays there.
I hope Learning from my mistakes will help a little.

Re: Gray squirrels and colony-style traps [Re: webfootwhacker] #6046867
11/06/17 01:30 PM
11/06/17 01:30 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Here are links to a few previous squirrel cage trap discussions.

Squirrels- Making cage traps for squirrels- https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/15184/Squirrels-_Making_cage_traps_f#Post15184

Multi-catch Squirrel Traps.

Questions on Squirrel Traps

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Gray squirrels and colony-style traps [Re: webfootwhacker] #6047025
11/06/17 06:12 PM
11/06/17 06:12 PM
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Pictured below is the main gray squirrel and flying squirrel trap that I used. These are made in my garage. They range in size from 3 inches square by any desired length to 8 inches square by 24 inches long. Regardless of size the entrance to all traps is 3 inches square. That size works for both gray squirrels and flying squirrels when set in a positive catch situation. Small single door cage traps are used to catch squirrels attempting to re-enter the building. I never set squirrel traps in an open yard.

Side view or trap and nose cone. Trap is 6”W X 6”H X 10”long.

Side view of trap entrance. Entrance is 3” square X 6 “long. The yellow “J” shaped hook is to hold entrance door open about one inch. I have found that some squirrels, both flying and gray, don’t seem to like to enter if they have to push against the door if it is fully down. By raising the door a little they don’t seem as hesitant to enter. The yellow horizontal wire serves as a “nose bump”. It helps prevent squirrels from lifting the entrance door and escaping.

Close up of “J” shaped hook and “nose bump”

Looking longitudinally through trap entrance. “J” hook holding door open about one inch. “Nose bump” is positioned a little less than a half inch above trap floor.

Door in closed position, “J” hook released.

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Gray squirrels and colony-style traps [Re: webfootwhacker] #6048170
11/07/17 07:15 PM
11/07/17 07:15 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
trapper
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I will explore the nose bumps and j hooks, they look intriguing and make sense to me. I build all mine with double doors so one can't hold the door open for another to escape.

Re: Gray squirrels and colony-style traps [Re: webfootwhacker] #6048818
11/08/17 12:15 PM
11/08/17 12:15 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted By: webfootwhacker
its not an extra cost to the homeowner but adds to my time spent on site, disposal/relocation, etc.

sounds like you're losing $$ there, unfortunately

AES makes awesome traps for squirrels and rat/flyers, too.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Gray squirrels and colony-style traps [Re: bob pake] #6048819
11/08/17 12:18 PM
11/08/17 12:18 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted By: bob pake
The animals were able to run slam their noggin into the drop door probably causing it to flex a little and with a lighting quick move they could slip under the door.

That's why you always make the door 2-2.5" longer than "normal"...so there will be material to bend so it lays along the floor, so they are standing on the door (holding it down) when they are trying to get out said door.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Gray squirrels and colony-style traps [Re: webfootwhacker] #6050262
11/09/17 10:21 PM
11/09/17 10:21 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
I'm with Mr. Pake all the way; I've been using colony traps for greys almost exclusively for 6-7 years, made my own for the last 2-3 years. I make 'em with all those features but no smaller than 4x4". If one dies in a smaller trap - and I know they will in Ontario - it's a PITA to remove it.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Gray squirrels and colony-style traps [Re: webfootwhacker] #6050776
11/10/17 02:14 PM
11/10/17 02:14 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
trapper
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
Thanks for all the info guys, I will be trying your suggestions.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread