No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Goodman banner
(Please support Joe Goodman because of his support for us)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Hop to:
#6054240 - 11/14/17 10:43 AM Re: 5 day Fisher season: What is the point??? [Re: Canvasback2]
Redknot Offline
trapper

Loc: Tug Hill, NY
Wharton, work was done by DEC prior to creating a Fisher Management Plan, but not enough is still known about some of these central and western areas as well as why numbers seem to have changed in the ADKs.

Why do you think DEC is requiring log books and collecting jaw bones (the NYS FWMB suggested collecting whole carcasses or female reproductive tracts, but DEC thought that would be too difficult), if not for a study?

Yes, at the end of these three years (next year) the information will be analyzed and future seasons should be implemented.

It's at this time trappers should be very vocal about when a fisher season should occur... A later season opener is not out of the question at all..

#6054248 - 11/14/17 10:50 AM Re: 5 day Fisher season: What is the point??? [Re: ponyboy]
Redknot Offline
trapper

Loc: Tug Hill, NY
Originally Posted By: ponyboy
No offense intended. But, Many years ago didn't a lot of the northern zone trappers get paid a good amount of money from the River Otter Restoration Project?
How much were they getting paid for each live, healthy, vet checked otter? They were all for it, which ended up putting all kinds of restrictions on the Southern Zone Trappers. We had no other option, but to adapt and work with the new regulations. But, some guys don't know what happened and may not have been trapping 20 years ago.

They were all about working with the DEC back then. The money was good and any new regulations on the Southern guys did not affect them.
The DEC will have their Projects and Studies until the end of time.

Pony, I recall it being a Tuesday night (after one of my Town Planning Board meetings) in February, that I had to slide my 330 triggers over within two inches of the jaw on all my beaver sets. DEC did not choose to do this the following season, but made that change smack dab in the middle of the occurring beaver season for those of us in the southern zones. Those in the north just slept through the night...

#6054306 - 11/14/17 12:19 PM Re: 5 day Fisher season: What is the point??? [Re: Canvasback2]
Fisherman Offline
trapper

Loc: northern New York
Wharton; I served as JTI chairman for close to 25 years and am most proud of the working relationship we had 3with DEC and the accomplishments we made. How many trappers today even know about the padded trap issue which started it all? At our very first meeting we walked out on DEC and showed them we meant business. Soon we got back together and developed a great working relationship through numerous issues.
Unfortunately times and people change. I think I began to sour when DEC and Cornell used a very tricky survey to twist trappers answers to what DEC wanted. They completely ignored the JTI survey which I personally wrote and conducted. The biologists in Warrensburgh; Mark Brown and Gary Parsons fiercely protected the core fisher population in the Adirondacks, but eventually Gary was promoted to the chief of the Bureau and Mark retired.
Gordon Batcheller warned us about some of the new graduates coming on board and the influence some of the very liberal colleges was having on them. I started complaining about the decline in fisher long before DEC undertook their study; and then it started in the southern tier with puffed up chests and a lot of bragging for something that DEC really did not have part of.
I got asked to be part of the BMP trapping study; only the request was made by a biologist pretty much at the end of the season after I had caught most of my fisher, was told what traps to use, not the traps of my choice, and was assigned a woman technician that was more interested in checking her E-Mail and putting on her makeup than going out in the woods.
Then came the otter project along with closing the otter season in the Mohawk Valley and Catskills for no good reason. I remember the trigger testing at the Hales Creek Field Station and I remember captured otters being fed contaminated great lakes salmon. How long has it been since the season closures and the reintroductions in western New York and still no open season? I remember many broken promises never kept by DEC. I remember a tech being hired by DEC to sneak around checking on trigger compliance. How many different otter studies were conducted and still no results?
I know this; I'm looking at a lot of MT fisher traps because they just are not there any more. DEC no longer listens to trappers and I was told at an Ithaca meeting that early caught pelts are still "saleable". At the same meeting I had quite a sermon on TPUE inspite of the many variables that make it worthless. To this day we as trappers have to make out a log to justify that theory. Well those biologists have been promoted. New faces have appeared, and new attitudes. New York fisher are a most valuable natural and renewable resource that should be treated as such, not as a "trophy" or fior "recreational value".
Add all of these together and a lot more and yes this old dog has turned sour!

#6054344 - 11/14/17 01:03 PM Re: 5 day Fisher season: What is the point??? [Re: Canvasback2]
whartonrattrappe Offline
trapper

Loc: NY
Fisherman, thank you for your response. I knew most of what you said from your earlier postings, I can imagine if I was in your shoes I'd feel the same way. I remember when the trigger regulation was enacted and agree that was BS also. I also agree with your assessment of TPUE. Thank you for all the time you invested in trapping in NY.

#6054350 - 11/14/17 01:15 PM Re: 5 day Fisher season: What is the point??? [Re: Canvasback2]
Steven 49er Offline
trapper

Loc: mn north of blakely
Fisherman, are you saying that that a government agency tailored a survey to get the results they wanted and then used those results against us?

Say it isn't so lol.

Thanks for your post.

#6054488 - 11/14/17 04:28 PM Re: 5 day Fisher season: What is the point??? [Re: Canvasback2]
Fisherman Offline
trapper

Loc: northern New York
Thar is absolutely what I am saying.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3