No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Goodman banner
(Please support Joe Goodman because of his support for us)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Hop to:
#6053730 - 11/13/17 07:46 PM Re: Restering Game By Phone or Computer [Re: Kirk De]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Loc: Gitche Gumee Wisconsin

Wardens would always come to our camp and tag every deer on the pole .
Not anymore, now we have to go find cell service .

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#6053856 - 11/13/17 09:37 PM Re: Restering Game By Phone or Computer [Re: Kirk De]
thrstyunderwater Offline
trapper

Loc: Nevada
Times change. The way managers model their deer populations is substantially more sophisticated, requiring better data. What takes longer, to register your deer online or create a tman post? If you can post on trapperman, you can “rester” a deer online.

#6053864 - 11/13/17 09:49 PM Re: Restering Game By Phone or Computer [Re: Kirk De]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Maine
I register deer online when hunting in Conn.
2 otter
1 bobcat

#6053865 - 11/13/17 09:50 PM Re: Restering Game By Phone or Computer [Re: Swamp Wolf]
SleekOtter Offline
trapper

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted By: SleekOtter
Trying to do online registration here too. What's so hard about driving to a tagging station to tag you critter, weigh it if you want, and purchase a celebratory six pack? Lazy folk

No such thing as a tagging station in Georgia......

...unless you count sitting in your truck at the 7-11 while you record your harvest on your phone..then go inside for the six pack. Lol

Well that's odd. Every other store is a tagging station here. Certainly isn't a shortage of them amd the law is if you pass one that's open on your way home or to the butcher, or wherever you're taking it after dragging it out, then you must tag it and not doing so is considered to have intentionally attempted to avoid it. Unless of course the tagging station is closed, then you have a certain time limit. Good news is that most butchers are tagging stations too.

#6053888 - 11/13/17 10:11 PM Re: Restering Game By Phone or Computer [Re: Kirk De]
Robert Owens Offline
trapper

Loc: Tennessee
When you live and hunt where there is very little cell service and all the stores you used to be able to check in deer no longer allow it due to online checking it makes it difficult to remain legal with the TWRA and check in your kill within the same day. I miss being able to go to the various mom and pop stores and check out the photos they would take and the bragging boards and see who is shooting what.

#6053947 - 11/13/17 11:56 PM Re: Restering Game By Phone or Computer [Re: Kirk De]
AJE Offline
trapper

Loc: WI - Wisconsin
It is pretty nice in much of Wisconsin Pete, I agree. Don't even have to tag them starting this year.
I have never tried Georgia's system. I guess it would be frustrating if ya can't hear the confirmation number.

Edited by AJE (11/14/17 12:07 AM)

#6053948 - 11/14/17 12:12 AM Re: Restering Game By Phone or Computer [Re: Kirk De]
loosanarrow Offline
trapper

Loc: Lakes Region Indiana
I’ve arrowed a lot of deer, and online tagging from my phone has been a wonderful thing.

I hunt alone. I had to find a buddy willing to help drag and load every deer to get it to a check station within 48 hours.

Here in IN the deer can not be butchered until given a check-in number.

Now, I check the deer on my phone, then butcher the deer on the spot where it fell, and haul out only the parts I am keeping. This allows me to haul meat in one trip, hide and head in another, and do it all by myself no problem.

Other than allowing the legal use of knapped stone points, phone check is the best new development in my lifetime.

That’s my take on it.

Edited by loosanarrow (11/14/17 12:15 AM)

#6054094 - 11/14/17 07:40 AM Re: Restering Game By Phone or Computer [Re: Kirk De]
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper

Loc: Green County Wisconsin
getting rid of shotgun only zones statewide is the best , online registration , no tagging is very good

Riversnorth13 , if you had a warden tagging all your deer I get this isn't as convenient very few others had that convenience. I have only seen the warden twice in 26 years.

but think of it this way you can now have one person with a list of your deer , tags and birth dates drive to get cell reception and register the whole lot. rather than having to take everyone who shot a deer at camp to town.

Edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE (11/14/17 07:42 AM)

#6054157 - 11/14/17 08:50 AM Re: Restering Game By Phone or Computer [Re: Kirk De]
330-Trapper Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Ours in this State is easy...but I've only done it on the computer.

#6054164 - 11/14/17 09:01 AM Re: Restering Game By Phone or Computer [Re: 330-Trapper]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

Loc: Southwestern Wisconsin
Well, the online system is great if you can access a cell tower. Otherwise, it's a pain in the arse, especially with the requirement the deer be registered by 5:00 pm the next day.

So our deer camp has no cell phone service. A deer is taken Saturday, one either runs up or down the river until a tower is accessed, or down to the boat landing, trailer the boat, and drive 'til a tower is accessed. This is done either that evening or during Sunday's hunt.

What is so special about 5:00 the next day? Only good for the bean counters in Madison.

There are many deer camps spread about Wisconsin, especially up north in the back woods, that are under the same BS rule. When I was a kid we stayed up to Jump River in the shack for the entire week. Didn't register deer 'til Monday after Thanksgiving. The deer shack was way back, and the only way in and out was on a tractor.

So now we either run the river in the dark to register the deer Saturday night, or give up hunting time Saturday or Sunday to register the deer, or lie about when the deer was taken, claiming it was shot Sunday.

I've registered this complaint and stated the case at the Spring Conservation Congress hearings, but, well, why bother.

We can hoop your beaver mountain man style!

http://www.riverinefurtraders.com/hoop%20your%20pelt/index_hoop_your_pelt.html

#6054277 - 11/14/17 11:36 AM Re: Restering Game By Phone or Computer [Re: Muskrat]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

Loc: Southwestern Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Muskrat
. . . What is so special about 5:00 the next day? Only good for the bean counters in Madison . . .

Okay, so yea, I'm quoting myself.

Somebody explain this to me. Just what IS so special about registering your kill no later than by 5:00 the day after the kill?

I haven't had a DNR employee give me an answer to this question yet that made any sense.

Are they going to close the season up early if too many deer are registered in a certain area? I doubt it.

How 'bout it? Any logic here?

Or is it all about the bean counters and the press releases and the data.

God help us if it's all about the data.

We can hoop your beaver mountain man style!

http://www.riverinefurtraders.com/hoop%20your%20pelt/index_hoop_your_pelt.html

#6054286 - 11/14/17 11:49 AM Re: Restering Game By Phone or Computer [Re: Kirk De]
Ronaround Offline
trapper

Loc: N.E.Ohio
Ohio has been online for years now. deer and turkey.
I dont mind it but,for the criminal what a way to beat the system.
Landowner's do the same just a click to the landowners page. You can tell them anything and no ones the wiser,buck maybe not, how about make it a doe today and get a bigger buck next week. Butcher it yourself and even easier. I have discussed this with the game warden to no avail. cheaters are cheaters he says. I know this is the wave of the future ,hope it dosent change the hunters edicate.

#6054308 - 11/14/17 12:23 PM Re: Restering Game By Phone or Computer [Re: Kirk De]
AJE Offline
trapper

Loc: WI - Wisconsin
If it's as hard as some of you experience, maybe it could contribute to a drop in license sales, or an increase in unregistered deer. The policy makers must be used to people that go home every night, hunt near a vehicle/town, and/or cell tower.
I guess lodge complaints with DNR and that's maybe about all you can do.
I don't know the answer to the 5 pm rule Muskrat.
Best answers I get from DNR are by emailing them. If they can't answer it, they pass it on until someone knows the answer, and they always respond...and ya have it writing. Unless it was some sort of legislative decision, then I don't know...

Edited by AJE (11/14/17 12:36 PM)

#6054336 - 11/14/17 12:49 PM Re: Restering Game By Phone or Computer [Re: Ronaround]
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Ronaround
Ohio has been online for years now. deer and turkey.
I dont mind it but,for the criminal what a way to beat the system.
Landowner's do the same just a click to the landowners page. You can tell them anything and no ones the wiser,buck maybe not, how about make it a doe today and get a bigger buck next week. Butcher it yourself and even easier. I have discussed this with the game warden to no avail. cheaters are cheaters he says. I know this is the wave of the future ,hope it dosent change the hunters edicate.

I tend to think they realized they had no decent way to keep the criminal from exploiting the system any way so why try to enforce it.

I sure do like no more back tags , what a pain to have to move that stupid pin on tag every time you changed coats or layers

#6054341 - 11/14/17 12:55 PM Re: Restering Game By Phone or Computer [Re: Muskrat]
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper

. . . What is so special about 5:00 the next day? Only good for the bean counters in Madison . . .

Somebody explain this to me. Just what IS so special about registering your kill no later than by 5:00 the day after the kill?

I haven't had a DNR employee give me an answer to this question yet that made any sense.

Are they going to close the season up early if too many deer are registered in a certain area? I doubt it.

there should be some exceptions for the very remote hunters like yourself , maybe give the DNR the gps location of your camp and get a pass on registering till you get out. that way if they want to send a warden to check you they can.

you might just call your warden and ask if he is the one who would be enforcing it he may say call me with your numbers when you get out.

#6054360 - 11/14/17 01:32 PM Re: Restering Game By Phone or Computer [Re: Muskrat]
Wiz Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia

I'm just speculating here based on dealing with wildlife agencies and people for quite a while, but I would be willing to bet that the 5:00 deadline is simply a deadline to maximize the reporting rates. Human nature is to procrastinate. If there were no deadlines, many hunters would put off reporting until they totally forgot about it or it gets to be so late that they don't think its useful anymore. If you put a deadline in a regulation book, hunters are more likely to comply in a more timely manner.

Simply put, there is no reason any wildlife agency needs this information within 24 hours, 36 hours, or even 2 weeks after a harvest other than because many folks are not responsible enough to report if a deadline isn't given.

Its kind of like a supervisor putting a deadline on some task for an employee that is habitually late. If it needs to be turned in by Friday, ask the employee to turn it in the Wednesday before and there will probably be a better chance that it will be turned in by the true deadline. I have to do this all the time to contractors that I deal with.

#6054656 - 11/14/17 07:27 PM Re: Restering Game By Phone or Computer [Re: Kirk De]
ol' dad Offline
trapper

Loc: Lincoln County, Missouri
Our conservation department decided a couple years ago to do away with over the counter permit sales to save money. You now can either buy your tags using a smart phone app, or log on to the .WWW and purchase your tags at the regular price, plus pay additional $1.00 convenience fee....So they cut their expenses and then charged the consumer more money.?.?.? It sure was nice of them to pass on the savings.... Not!

We have great resources in our state, but the MDC is over funded and spends money on useless projects to protect their annual budget. Not to mention, the current tagging systems is a poachers dream!

ol'dad

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2