No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Goodman banner
(Please support Joe Goodman because of his support for us)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Hop to:
#6054105 - 11/14/17 07:48 AM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
bankrunner Offline
trapper

Loc: iowa
Have them switch to shotgun only or better yet, muzzle loader for a few years and the population will go up. Also move the season later, out of the tail end of our would help also.

#6054108 - 11/14/17 07:52 AM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: RiversNorth13]
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper

Loc: Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: RiversNorth13
600,000 hunters will be hunting in Wisconsin next Saturday .

1/3 will hunt one way , 1/3 will hunt another and 1/3 won't see the brush .

Not sure what 1/3 I'll be in yet ,
If I had a wolf tag I would be in the brush for sure .

All I know is , of gun season is like the archery season, there will be so unbelievable bucks shot .

what if I am in the sit 1/3 and the drive 1/3 , I will be in my tree from 40 minutes before first light , till around 9 then we go in and eat , my uncle likes to sit and drink coffee in the morning so he can make breakfast while the rest of us are in trees or sitting near trails.

then drives through the middle of the day and back to trees for the last 90 minutes or so

and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot anything that is worth butchering , you can't eat the antlers.

when I my dad told my Aunt we got 6 tags each this year, she said that was nuts , then she thought about it , and said we do have a lot of deer this year.

it sure isn't like it was in the early 90s when you might have 2 doe tags for 8 people you would see 30 doe in a day and 1 buck

been seeing more bucks but fewer doe and they are in small groups not the heard we used to see in 90 I saw 27 doe in one heard with a buck all well within rifle range and much to far for the slugs in my gun.

Edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE (11/14/17 07:58 AM)

#6054167 - 11/14/17 09:06 AM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
handitrapper Online   content
trapper

Loc: WI
I certainly don’t see a shortage of deer in my area. Rock/Dane Co. If anything, they’re are higher than ever.

#6054246 - 11/14/17 10:48 AM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: NE Wildlife]
trapper234 Offline
trapper

Loc: Perkinstown,, Wisconsin

Originally Posted By: NE Wildlife
The deer numbers have been down here since 2005
I don't blame anyone except for the hunters. Just because
There are tags available doesn't mean you should use them.
The numbers are good in pockets here because some larger tracts
Of land have people with common sense that hunt them.
Now quality bucks we will NEVER have like in areas of southern and
Western Wisconsin. Again because way to many hunters "have" to use that
Tag they bought.
To answer your question, no there is a very small parentage that would
Actually protest and not go hunting, I would guess like 15%

I agree with you. I have not shot a deer in 7 years and I hunt zone 26 near Medford, WI. It use to be good hunting up there in the National Forest years ago until they gave out way to many doe tags and the fact that the wolves are all you see up there now. I have hunted the entire 9 day deer season ever year since I was 12 yrs old (60 yrs now) minus a few years because of medical reasons. Its sad and I even thought of not even going this year. I saw one deer the entire last season. Very few deer tracks but plenty of wolf tracks. I am a hard core deer hunter but my heart is not in it this year again.
YouTube Channel: Trapper234

#6054395 - 11/14/17 02:40 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
Deer driving was the prelude to youth hunts. As youth we got to be the drivers. We were babied into future hunters. It was o.k. as it beat being the beagle in rabbit hunting. smile

#6054408 - 11/14/17 02:58 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: Dirt]
Tweed Offline
trapper

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Dirt
Deer driving was the prelude to youth hunts. As youth we got to be the drivers. We were babied into future hunters. It was o.k. as it beat being the beagle in rabbit hunting. smile

I was the springer in pheasant hunting smile

#6054414 - 11/14/17 03:01 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
hippie Offline
trapper

Loc: pa
There's a deer behind every tree and if your not seeing them, try walking backwards so your looking at the backside of the trees!

#6054452 - 11/14/17 03:45 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: Tweed]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: Tweed
Originally Posted By: Dirt

I was the springer in pheasant hunting smile

Kids used to be valuable contributors to a successful hunt. Now they appear to be a burden. frown

#6054749 - 11/14/17 08:43 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
bluejay Offline
trapper

Loc: Sauk co. Wi
i do attend cdac mtgs in sauk co. our committee refuses to listen to the general publics opinion as 70% of replies to there surveys say they see very few deer.and yes it does look like the pic with all the bowhunters in it only in orange. makes me want to quit rifle hunting but i cant bring myself to do it

#6054780 - 11/14/17 09:23 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
bblwi Offline
trapper

Loc: East-Central Wisconsin
Deer are like any wildlife species be it land or water there will be pockets of higher densities as this is the reserve areas or refuges if you will that allows the species to continue. As the habitat, environment or ecology etc. changes these high density pockets will create high enough numbers for the population to disperse out and re-habitat the more marginal or heavily harvested areas. Wildlife and especially deer in WI with a large number of hunters and most of the deer in farmland areas with broken habitat will move when pushed and thus increase harvest opportunities. I hunt in areas were deer numbers were high in the 1990s and became very low a few years ago and ar rebounding some. I have seen a few more does with twins this year which is a real good sign in forest habitat. Deer do have a remarkable ability to increase numbers quickly and we need to be ready to deal with a surging population if we have typical harvest seasons and mild winters. A heavy harvest and a hard winter and we could get set back 2-4 years.

Bryce

#6055099 - 11/15/17 09:46 AM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE]
Ice_Rat Offline
trapper

Loc: WI
Originally Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted By: RiversNorth13
600,000 hunters will be hunting in Wisconsin next Saturday .

1/3 will hunt one way , 1/3 will hunt another and 1/3 won't see the brush .

Not sure what 1/3 I'll be in yet ,
If I had a wolf tag I would be in the brush for sure .

All I know is , of gun season is like the archery season, there will be so unbelievable bucks shot .

what if I am in the sit 1/3 and the drive 1/3 , I will be in my tree from 40 minutes before first light , till around 9 then we go in and eat , my uncle likes to sit and drink coffee in the morning so he can make breakfast while the rest of us are in trees or sitting near trails.

then drives through the middle of the day and back to trees for the last 90 minutes or so

PLEASE come hunt next to us!! I love hunting next to property that has guys that do this. Shot a lot of deer because of this. You would be amazed by the amount of deer you kick up, but don't even see, when you come out that early or go in that late.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2