No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Goodman banner
(Please support Joe Goodman because of his support for us)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#6053806 - 11/13/17 08:51 PM wi deer numbers
bluejay Offline
trapper

Loc: Sauk co. Wi
have any other wi deer hunters seen a drastic drop in deer numbers? the property i hunt in sauk co is next to a state park which thanks to scott walker is now a public hunting ground. our deer herd has been decimated due to the public land. this park is 560 acres and there are a minimum of 40 vehicles parked there opening weekend so probably 60 hunters. if any one else has seen a similar drop in deer numbers do you think enough sportsman have the stones to say screw the dnr and refuse to buy a hunting licsense to make the dnr think

#6053828 - 11/13/17 09:12 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
Dirk Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Deer numbers in my area seem to be normal and there is a heavily used state park near me

Black Bear numbers in my area are rising fast

Scott Walker isn't to blame here I guess

cry

#6053836 - 11/13/17 09:19 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
keystone Offline
trapper

Loc: laporte co. indiana
Isn't Wisconsin the deer driving capitol of the US? Everything i've heard about deer hunting in Wisconsin is a bunch of guys get together and just push deer until they disappear altogether. Meanwhile shooting at everything that runs. My father in law owns some land there and that's all they do is drives pretty much. He's been asking me to go for ten years and i don't want anything to do with it. I haven't seen that crew bring a nice buck back in ten years either. Just a bunch of does and small bucks, whatever runs by.

#6053841 - 11/13/17 09:24 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: keystone]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Loc: Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: keystone
Isn't Wisconsin the deer driving capitol of the US? Everything i've heard about deer hunting in Wisconsin is a bunch of guys get together and just push deer until they disappear altogether. Meanwhile shooting at everything that runs. My father in law owns some land there and that's all they do is drives pretty much. He's been asking me to go for ten years and i don't want anything to do with it. I haven't seen that crew bring a nice buck back in ten years either. Just a bunch of does and small bucks, whatever runs by.

Sounds like your hearing about out of state hunters .

People that drove deer, has been a thing of the past , MANY years ago .
Everyone just sits on their stand now a days .
Your relatives probably drove them to the neighbors, unless they don't have any .
Probably why their don't bring back a nice buck .

Do they bring their own beer or get it when they buy their license ? laugh

See if they will are willing to not do drives this year and see if anything changes .

The hard core guys have been hunting for 2 weeks already and probably have their buck .

They probably have the camp stocked with beers already !
Might not even leave camp ! laugh

Seen one guy with a fork horn otherwise is not been good hunting here in Wisconsin .

There is some beer to be had if the deer don't cooperate.

I would put Indiana in the top 7 states to hunt , but that's just me .

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#6053850 - 11/13/17 09:32 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
NE Wildlife Online   content
trapper

Loc: Northeast Wisconsin
The deer numbers have been down here since 2005
I don't blame anyone except for the hunters. Just because
There are tags available doesn't mean you should use them.
The numbers are good in pockets here because some larger tracts
Of land have people with common sense that hunt them.
Now quality bucks we will NEVER have like in areas of southern and
Western Wisconsin. Again because way to many hunters "have" to use that
Tag they bought.

To answer your question, no there is a very small parentage that would
Actually protest and not go hunting, I would guess like 15%

#6053851 - 11/13/17 09:32 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
bluejay Offline
trapper

i dont know where you are located dirk but if you have deer left near public land you are the exception not the rule

#6053868 - 11/13/17 09:53 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
corky Offline
trapper

Loc: Three Lakes,WI 66
After 2 normal winters our numbers are rebounding but very slowly.

#6053874 - 11/13/17 09:59 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: NE Wildlife]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: NE Wildlife

The numbers are good in pockets

Yes , in pockets .

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#6053891 - 11/13/17 10:17 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
AJE Offline
trapper

Loc: WI - Wisconsin
Deer drives around here are pretty much a thing of the past. There's still some small drives here & there, & some groups that drive large chunks of public land.
I assume you go to your county's CDAC meeting. That's perhaps the best way to provide input. Don't show up to the meeting blaming a Governor though.
A lot of people don't see many deer, & I'm pretty sure it's hurting license sales. As far as a mass boycott, no, I don't see that.
It seems like when we have a good winter & a possible rise in deer numbers, more doe tags get issued.
1 hard part about Wi deer hunting, besides wolves, is there's lots of small parcels, & if your neighbors have a 'brown is down' philosophy, that really frustrates a lot of people. Another thing is that hunters sit in heated shacks & don't kick the deer around like they used to. Also, there are pockets of excellent deer hunting & pockets of lousy hunting, making it hard to manage Wi's herd, even within a small management unit. Also, some people don't follow baiting laws & they pull deer away from honest neighbors.
I see you are in Sauk Co, which is perhaps the top CWD infested county in the state. My guess is DNR has tried to cull the herd due to CWD concerns.

Edited by AJE (11/13/17 11:24 PM)

#6053892 - 11/13/17 10:19 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: bluejay
our deer herd has been decimated due to the public land. this park is 560 acres

How can the herd be decimated by public land ?

Who would hunt a 560 acre park in gun season , with 600,000 hunters in the state ?

Your park must look like this during the archery hunt !
Would hate to see it when it's orange , or pink camouflage as you can wear it now .

There's about 6 million acres of public land in Wisconsin, get away for that 560 acre amusement park .

This year will probably be one of the best for bucks shot in archery season for a long time .
Many areas struggle, gun hunters that don't hunt much will still pay the $24 to drink beer in camp for 9 days no matter what .

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#6053893 - 11/13/17 10:22 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
WI Farmer Offline
trapper

I am new to the forum. I am in southeast Richland county. I hunt my own farm and have seen the numbers going up the last few years. But that wasnít until some friends with the fill them all mind set quit hunting here. They had bought into the cwd kill them all of movement a few years ago.

#6053900 - 11/13/17 10:28 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
Moosetrot Online   content
trapper

I think a big change occurred sometime in the 90's when the trespass laws were tightened up. This radically decreased the amount of land "available" to individual and groups of hunters. In my situation, we could no longer wander the entire valley in which my brother owned 90 acres, among other landowners. Some of the smaller plots would not and could not be hunted anymore, and believe me, they held deer.

In no way am I criticizing landowner rights or anything like that. Just relating my observation of why it seems the deer are in pockets or otherwise not moving like they used to during the gun season.

Moosetrot

#6053902 - 11/13/17 10:30 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

600,000 hunters will be hunting in Wisconsin next Saturday .

1/3 will hunt one way , 1/3 will hunt another and 1/3 won't see the brush .

Not sure what 1/3 I'll be in yet ,
If I had a wolf tag I would be in the brush for sure .

All I know is , of gun season is like the archery season, there will be so unbelievable bucks shot .

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#6053964 - 11/14/17 03:39 AM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
Tweed Offline
trapper

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I hunt small parcels of public land and see plenty of deer. I probably see more deer on public than private unless that private is highly managed with plots, cover and water.

Edited by Tweed (11/14/17 03:41 AM)

#6054007 - 11/14/17 05:21 AM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
Alex the dog Offline
trapper

Loc: Valders, WI
I hunted one week on public land in Florence County, saw more deer than the last 3 years combined and harvested a doe in a funnel area with no bait. Definitely believe numbers are up after no anterless tags the last couple of years.

At home in Manitowoc County on private land numbers are up as well. Local CDAC has recommended a decrease which I support. Will be trying to fill anterless tags with bow or gun.

I think the land you hunt and donít hunt plays a big part in deer survival and population numbers.

Dave

#6054019 - 11/14/17 05:38 AM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
Green Bay Offline
trapper

I would say numbers are up especially in Farmland zones. Drives don't happen by us any more for the last 10 - 20 years. Everyone is afraid of bumping a huge buck into the neighbors property. That said, I know a large group that starts driving deer the minute season opens and don't let up for 9 days.

Some serious bow hunters I know turn there 300 acres into a refuge during gun season and then pursue them again in the later bow hunt.

All depends on where you go.

#6054068 - 11/14/17 07:05 AM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: Green Bay]
Muskrat Offline
trapper

Loc: Southwestern Wisconsin
December Fur-Fish-Game showed up in the mailbox yesterday. Best article on two-man deer drives I've seen in years describing how two hunters, and better yet three, can successfully "drive" and score deer. The author's form of driving is one fella standing, and the other does what I call "still hunting" towards the stander. This might take a half hour to cover a hundred yards when done properly, that sort of pace. Not that the drive is a hundred yards long, but I like 'em about 2-300 yards long.

Still hunting allows one to sneak along a trail and possibly see the deer before the deer sees you. If a deer does get up and looks your way, by only taking a step or two at a time, you're already in frozen mode and the deer sees nothing moving. Often the deer will move a little and look back again. That's where your shot comes. With a stander down the trail aways, a buck busted by a still hunter often does not run at top speed away. Many times they will just slide out of their bed and ease on down the trail. That's when the stander scores. The key is s-l-o-w.

Deer drives when I was a kid up near Jump River was a skirmish line of hunters whoopin' and hollerin' and pushing deer to about the same number of standers. Walking was at a standard pace. With low deer numbers back in the 60s it did help fill tags. There aren't too many of these types left that I've seen in the last 20 years or so. Most of the older fellas can't do it anymore or are gone, and the younger fellas, well, walking through the swamp with hip boots on just isn't their cup of tea. So the deer sit tight 'til dark.

In the river bottoms with "funnels, fingers and necks", it's possible for two hunters to effectively "drive" an area and have a good chance of shooting deer, providing there are deer there in the first place. Good article, especially the part about two drivers and one stander.

We can hoop your beaver mountain man style!

http://www.riverinefurtraders.com/hoop%20your%20pelt/index_hoop_your_pelt.html

#6054075 - 11/14/17 07:22 AM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
ToTheWoods Offline
trapper

Loc: St. Croix County, Wisconsin
We never saw a decrease in numbers around the house. Deer everywhere. I NW where I gun hunt the numbers went in the tank for a few years. Good scouting and adaptability we have still been on the deer and been successful.

#6054082 - 11/14/17 07:31 AM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
Dirk Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: bluejay
i dont know where you are located dirk but if you have deer left near public land you are the exception not the rule

I grouse hunt on many tracts of public land in western Wisconsin and have flushed more 8 and 10 pointers than grouse this year. Lots of does also

#6054104 - 11/14/17 07:48 AM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
keystone Offline
trapper

Loc: laporte co. indiana
If your not seeing many deer in Wesconsins, head on over to Easconsins!!! Good ole Donnie Baker!!!

#6054105 - 11/14/17 07:48 AM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
bankrunner Offline
trapper

Loc: iowa
Have them switch to shotgun only or better yet, muzzle loader for a few years and the population will go up. Also move the season later, out of the tail end of our would help also.

#6054108 - 11/14/17 07:52 AM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: RiversNorth13]
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper

Loc: Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: RiversNorth13

All I know is , of gun season is like the archery season, there will be so unbelievable bucks shot .

what if I am in the sit 1/3 and the drive 1/3 , I will be in my tree from 40 minutes before first light , till around 9 then we go in and eat , my uncle likes to sit and drink coffee in the morning so he can make breakfast while the rest of us are in trees or sitting near trails.

then drives through the middle of the day and back to trees for the last 90 minutes or so

and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot anything that is worth butchering , you can't eat the antlers.

when I my dad told my Aunt we got 6 tags each this year, she said that was nuts , then she thought about it , and said we do have a lot of deer this year.

it sure isn't like it was in the early 90s when you might have 2 doe tags for 8 people you would see 30 doe in a day and 1 buck

been seeing more bucks but fewer doe and they are in small groups not the heard we used to see in 90 I saw 27 doe in one heard with a buck all well within rifle range and much to far for the slugs in my gun.

Edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE (11/14/17 07:58 AM)

#6054167 - 11/14/17 09:06 AM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
handitrapper Online   content
trapper

Loc: WI
I certainly donít see a shortage of deer in my area. Rock/Dane Co. If anything, theyíre are higher than ever.

#6054246 - 11/14/17 10:48 AM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: NE Wildlife]
trapper234 Offline
trapper

Loc: Perkinstown,, Wisconsin

Originally Posted By: NE Wildlife
The deer numbers have been down here since 2005
I don't blame anyone except for the hunters. Just because
There are tags available doesn't mean you should use them.
The numbers are good in pockets here because some larger tracts
Of land have people with common sense that hunt them.
Now quality bucks we will NEVER have like in areas of southern and
Western Wisconsin. Again because way to many hunters "have" to use that
Tag they bought.
To answer your question, no there is a very small parentage that would
Actually protest and not go hunting, I would guess like 15%

I agree with you. I have not shot a deer in 7 years and I hunt zone 26 near Medford, WI. It use to be good hunting up there in the National Forest years ago until they gave out way to many doe tags and the fact that the wolves are all you see up there now. I have hunted the entire 9 day deer season ever year since I was 12 yrs old (60 yrs now) minus a few years because of medical reasons. Its sad and I even thought of not even going this year. I saw one deer the entire last season. Very few deer tracks but plenty of wolf tracks. I am a hard core deer hunter but my heart is not in it this year again.
YouTube Channel: Trapper234

#6054395 - 11/14/17 02:40 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
Deer driving was the prelude to youth hunts. As youth we got to be the drivers. We were babied into future hunters. It was o.k. as it beat being the beagle in rabbit hunting. smile

#6054408 - 11/14/17 02:58 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: Dirt]
Tweed Offline
trapper

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Dirt
Deer driving was the prelude to youth hunts. As youth we got to be the drivers. We were babied into future hunters. It was o.k. as it beat being the beagle in rabbit hunting. smile

I was the springer in pheasant hunting smile

#6054414 - 11/14/17 03:01 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
hippie Offline
trapper

Loc: pa
There's a deer behind every tree and if your not seeing them, try walking backwards so your looking at the backside of the trees!

#6054452 - 11/14/17 03:45 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: Tweed]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: Tweed
Originally Posted By: Dirt

I was the springer in pheasant hunting smile

Kids used to be valuable contributors to a successful hunt. Now they appear to be a burden. frown

#6054749 - 11/14/17 08:43 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
bluejay Offline
trapper

i do attend cdac mtgs in sauk co. our committee refuses to listen to the general publics opinion as 70% of replies to there surveys say they see very few deer.and yes it does look like the pic with all the bowhunters in it only in orange. makes me want to quit rifle hunting but i cant bring myself to do it

#6054780 - 11/14/17 09:23 PM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: bluejay]
bblwi Offline
trapper

Loc: East-Central Wisconsin
Deer are like any wildlife species be it land or water there will be pockets of higher densities as this is the reserve areas or refuges if you will that allows the species to continue. As the habitat, environment or ecology etc. changes these high density pockets will create high enough numbers for the population to disperse out and re-habitat the more marginal or heavily harvested areas. Wildlife and especially deer in WI with a large number of hunters and most of the deer in farmland areas with broken habitat will move when pushed and thus increase harvest opportunities. I hunt in areas were deer numbers were high in the 1990s and became very low a few years ago and ar rebounding some. I have seen a few more does with twins this year which is a real good sign in forest habitat. Deer do have a remarkable ability to increase numbers quickly and we need to be ready to deal with a surging population if we have typical harvest seasons and mild winters. A heavy harvest and a hard winter and we could get set back 2-4 years.

Bryce

#6055099 - 11/15/17 09:46 AM Re: wi deer numbers [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE]
Ice_Rat Offline
trapper

Loc: WI
Originally Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted By: RiversNorth13

what if I am in the sit 1/3 and the drive 1/3 , I will be in my tree from 40 minutes before first light , till around 9 then we go in and eat , my uncle likes to sit and drink coffee in the morning so he can make breakfast while the rest of us are in trees or sitting near trails.

then drives through the middle of the day and back to trees for the last 90 minutes or so

PLEASE come hunt next to us!! I love hunting next to property that has guys that do this. Shot a lot of deer because of this. You would be amazed by the amount of deer you kick up, but don't even see, when you come out that early or go in that late.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >