No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Goodman banner
(Please support Joe Goodman because of his support for us)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#6053812 - 11/13/17 08:56 PM Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur?
KeithC Offline
trapper

Loc: Champaign County, Ohio.
As we all know, most common furbearers are nearly worthless this year.

Trapping, I will catch more raccoons, opossums and skunks than anything else. It does not seem worth the time putting them up this year, with the prices so low. I hate wasting anything, but I do want to knock their numbers down on my farm, so I would trap, even if they had no value. I love trapping, but see put up as work, that I don't want to do for almost no reward.

What are you guys doing with nearly worthless furbearers like opossums and even raccoons this year?

I have thought about saving my catches up and selling in the round, like I used to a long time ago, but I have not had a single local furbuyer answer their phone or return my calls.

Keith

#6053825 - 11/13/17 09:12 PM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
Five Points John Offline
trapper

Loc: S.W. Ohio
Money wise no. Experience Yes. I hate to waist. JD is going to be putting up some fur (only the best coon). I think with prices this year it will be a good learning for him and I. John

#6053833 - 11/13/17 09:16 PM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
jeff karsten Online   content
trapper

Loc: rogers city mi.
putting up mine with the limited amount of trapping im doing doesn't pay to plug in the freezer grin

#6053880 - 11/13/17 10:04 PM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
Plum Billy Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska Mat-Su Valley
That is going to be up to you.

If you don't have the skill, or can't do it very fast, then you may want to do it. Also if you want to take care of something you caught, then go ahead.

If you think you got it down, and see it as a worthless endeavor then don't do it.

Up here we don't have any "worthless" Furbearers, the closest we get are ermine, anything else that has a low price you have to target specifically.(Beaver, Muskrat) I don't know how it is, but me being new to the trapping game I am going to get every bit of experience I can get.

John Wayne

#6053887 - 11/13/17 10:10 PM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
killswitharrows Offline
trapper

Loc: North Central Wyoming
I'm never happy with my coon pelts. So I am putty them up for the practice, and I kind of like it.

#6053915 - 11/13/17 10:42 PM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
USMC47 Offline

Loc: California
Practice makes perfect. In both trapping and put up.

www.derricks-nm.com

www.montanatrappingsupplies.com

#6054018 - 11/14/17 05:37 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
WadeRyan Offline
trapper

Loc: Southeast Nebraska
In this market I've got no incentive to. I can hit profits running harder and selling green. The auctions definitely have not been a good gamble in my situation where coon is the highest populated furbearer. I know I could make double finishing but I'm not efficient enough to make it cost effective if you factor in time.

#6054022 - 11/14/17 05:46 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
tbn Offline
trapper

Loc: ks-ok-mo
Seasons are just opening not much buying as of yet but the market is in the toilet,lol.

#6054028 - 11/14/17 05:52 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper

Loc: MI
If you have wives, send them to tannery and have garments made for her

This market has made it easy for me to let those furs go to furrier and have coats made

Her latest one came last week. Muskrat jacket with beaver collar

Or have something made for yourself Hats gloves coat

I'm leaning toward a coyote or beaver coat for myself

Have gifts made for family, I have some beavers being hooped for that

I also give furs to those that allowing me to trap on the property as well as if someone gets me a lead on a new property that produces fur

And I'm sorry that spell ceck slotered what I typed, but I'm sure u all can figure out wht I typed!!!!

#6054031 - 11/14/17 05:55 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
strike2x Offline
trapper

Loc: Houghton Lake, MI
I am with a lot of the guys here, I would make more money for time spent by selling green or round but the option I have chosen is to not set any coon specific sets and release the few I get in my canine traps. It takes me personally longer to put up coon than fox and even though fox o ly brought in the 15 dollar range last year, I only got average of 2.25 on coon... That is not worth the time. That was put up....I still only had a few but this year I will keep none. I am setting more rat traps this year... Just got 3.89 average on the left over from last year and it takes me about 5 minutes tes from carcass to board. As far as practice, part of that word is pratical.... It is not practical to practice any more for those prices...

#6054035 - 11/14/17 06:00 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
danny clifton Offline
trapper

Loc: williamsburg ks
Animal control is a good enough reason to kill animals. Why not find a kid to give them too? When your 12 a dozen 3 dollar carcass coon is a gold mine. Get a kid interested in trapping. Teach him/her how to skin and flesh. Show the kid how to catch them.

#6054062 - 11/14/17 06:49 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
PAskinner Offline
trapper

Loc: PA
I don't understand how people sell in the round all the time. Do you have a furbuyer next door?

#6054109 - 11/14/17 07:53 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
waggler Online   content
trapper

Loc: Alaska and Washington State
If fur buyers would just quit buying green and carcass fur it would really reduce the amount of low demand fur on the market, it would also increase the quality of the fur that was put up because trappers would be more selective about when they trapped their fur, and it would be better taken care of. This would then result in higher prices.

There is the idea that when the price of a commodity goes down you simply increase the volume of your production to make up the difference. Unfortunately economics don't work that way. People have tried to apply that idea to fish, oil, and many other commodities; it just doesn't work.

#6054117 - 11/14/17 08:00 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
Nessmuck Offline
trapper

Loc: New Hampshire
Low fur prices = more time hunting and ice fishing and working on my 67 GTO...i don't rely on a fur check for anything...it's just another hobby. So the steel will stay in the barn ...again.

#6054187 - 11/14/17 09:27 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: Michigan Trappin]
KC135A Offline
trapper

Loc: MONTANA
Originally Posted By: Michigan Trappin
If you have wives, send them to tannery

Mines got tough enough hide as it is!

#6054190 - 11/14/17 09:32 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
Tom cat Offline
trapper

Loc: Indianland sc
With me I'm looking for the experience, so I'll be putting up my fur, what I make or don't make it doesn't matter one way or the other.

#6054195 - 11/14/17 09:37 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
tmrschessie Offline

Loc: South Central Nebraska age 66
If your back to $3 coon and catch 200 your going to make $600 easy math and when we used to get $2 a coon with the feet skinned out we went for numbers then also.

#6054206 - 11/14/17 09:46 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
lebowski Offline
trapper

Loc: MI
I remember the time I got $13 avg for green coon from the Groenwold truck. Those were the days!!! LOL

-- Fred Bear

#6054233 - 11/14/17 10:35 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
tomahawker Offline
trapper

Loc: ohio
Buy the wife a fur coat and save some money!

#6054263 - 11/14/17 11:12 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: tmrschessie]
PAskinner Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: tmrschessie
If your back to $3 coon and catch 200 your going to make $600 easy math and when we used to get $2 a coon with the feet skinned out we went for numbers then also.

Except you'll probably spend several hundred in gas and end up making nothing....

#6054292 - 11/14/17 11:57 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KC135A]
Uwe Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: KC135A
Originally Posted By: Michigan Trappin
If you have wives, send them to tannery

Mines got tough enough hide as it is!

LOL, How many wives do you need ?

#6054349 - 11/14/17 01:12 PM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: tmrschessie]
WadeRyan Offline
trapper

Loc: Southeast Nebraska
Originally Posted By: tmrschessie

Some people just don't understand that in some areas even if they are cheap they are one of our main fur-bearers. I can't go catch a $1000 bobcat in my area, and a $100 coyote here is pretty well impossible to obtain. I have been chasing the coyotes pretty hard compared to anything else so far this season, but I'm still taking coons in numbers.

Some will criticize the fact I'm catching coons, but even in this market I've had two fur buyers contact me wanting to look at the coyotes. That's fine I'm all about selling the coyotes, but it comes with a stipulation that my coons go with. You can all call me crazy, but I just got a $7 green average quote on 3xl up coons (which 95% of the coons I've caught so far meet). It'll pay the gas and then some.

I'm not going to waste my time putting them up, and shipping to auction to have them sell for $9.00 put up. The time/effort to scrape a coon isn't worth it.

#6054483 - 11/14/17 04:20 PM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
traphound Offline
trapper

Loc: N.Y./N.J.
the older I get it makes me think I might not have that many years left to trap. So this year I will trap again. Not to hard or take time off from work. Just go out and enjoy myself and catch some fur and put it up like always.

#6054486 - 11/14/17 04:26 PM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Maine
I just love and enjoy trapping.
2 otter
1 bobcat

#6054490 - 11/14/17 04:29 PM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: Bruce T]
Big Possum Online   content
trapper

Loc: Illinois
Beats laying in bed from back surgery like the season last year. I'll take trapping anytime!
Joe

#6054614 - 11/14/17 06:38 PM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
TrappingTom Offline
trapper

Loc: Morgan Co. KY
For me, it has always been about the whole lifestyle and all that it encompasses. I enjoy working in the fur shed as much (maybe more) than the actual trapping. Time is something I have this time of the year, and any animals caught will be put up. I am going to make no money watching a 30 minute show on Netflix, but in that same thirty minutes I can make a few dollars and enjoy myself. To me being competent and taking pride in properly putting up fur is all part of it. I guess you could call me old school. When I was a kid we would sell fur to Ison Fur Co. outside of Xenia Ohio. The trips there were magical! I would annoy old Lester to death near the enormous wood stove and watch as he or some of the other guys would grade green, or on the round hides, and then deftly skin and flesh and make it look effortless. The sights, the sounds, the smells.... all of it appealed to me. Still does.

Tom

#6054653 - 11/14/17 07:23 PM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: TrappingTom]
trapper234 Offline
trapper

Loc: Perkinstown,, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: TrappingTom
For me, it has always been about the whole lifestyle and all that it encompasses. I enjoy working in the fur shed as much (maybe more) than the actual trapping. Time is something I have this time of the year, and any animals caught will be put up. I am going to make no money watching a 30 minute show on Netflix, but in that same thirty minutes I can make a few dollars and enjoy myself. To me being competent and taking pride in properly putting up fur is all part of it. I guess you could call me old school. When I was a kid we would sell fur to Ison Fur Co. outside of Xenia Ohio. The trips there were magical! I would annoy old Lester to death near the enormous wood stove and watch as he or some of the other guys would grade green, or on the round hides, and then deftly skin and flesh and make it look effortless. The sights, the sounds, the smells.... all of it appealed to me. Still does.

Tom

I myself do like putting up fur. Its awesome to be out in the shed alone listening to talk radio and putting up fur. Sometime I am out there yet until 3am.
YouTube Channel: Trapper234

#6054664 - 11/14/17 07:33 PM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
bic Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"

Loc: Central Pa. 57
I do it because I enjoy doing the trapping and the put up. Is it a paying proposition for me? I don't get paid anything to set on the couch and watch TV or to sit in front of this computer and chat with you fellas. So I guess trapping pays me more than the other options.

#6054687 - 11/14/17 07:50 PM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
tbn Offline
trapper

I hate to see it all leave the shop. A lot of work but I enjoy it all. Countless hours skinning,fleshing,washing,combing,etc. Then the day comes it is all gone in a snap of the finger.

#6054701 - 11/14/17 07:59 PM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
If you catch it,skin it,unless it's diseased and has no value.

#6054713 - 11/14/17 08:13 PM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: Boco]
bblwi Offline
trapper

Loc: East-Central Wisconsin
Everyone of us has a different idea of what "cheap" is. Is cheap a $2 finished coon, $5, $10 or anything less than $15 ditto rats, fox, beaver etc.
Each of also has a different idea of what our time is worth to us and or what our other options may be.
For me if I did not feel like finishing the fur I catch I probably would not set the traps to catch the fur to begin with. I talked to two farmers today and you know they feel that $3 coons eat just as much corn as do the $25 coons and I don't argue that fact. One told me today he did not expect me to run long lines to catch lots of coons but when he contacts me with problems this winter and spring he would like me to respond. I can't ask for more cooperation than that.
If it costs a buyer say $2 to $3 to handle a pelt then anything green at that value or below has negative value to him. If you put it up you may get the $2-$3 he did not have to pay.
Bryce

#6054722 - 11/14/17 08:19 PM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
If you chose to put up junk fur, it gives you the option to dump it on a Canadian Auction and they can deal with it. smile

#6054786 - 11/14/17 09:32 PM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
ilbucksndux Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Illinois
If I can cover my gas and bait with putting up cheap fur Ill do it.

#6054952 - 11/15/17 06:22 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
tbn Offline
trapper

I like the phrase work smarter not harder.

#6054985 - 11/15/17 07:19 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: Boco]
PAskinner Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Boco
If you catch it,skin it,unless it's diseased and has no value.

You don't have possum, easy for you to say that! :}
Should I skin 50 cent possums? By the time I put them up, I'm already in the hole, if I count my time at all.

#6055060 - 11/15/17 08:50 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: PAskinner]
bblwi Offline
trapper

Loc: East-Central Wisconsin
There are many times differences between "cheap" fur and "junk" fur. Cheap many times is market related and junk is quality related.
Good fall large WI rats are cheap but not junk fur, ditto 2xl 1-11 grade average color coons. Their cheap but not necessarily junk. Those furs just don't have much value in the current market.

Bryce

#6055063 - 11/15/17 08:53 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
waggler Online   content
trapper

Loc: Alaska and Washington State
^^^^^^^
Good point.

#6055095 - 11/15/17 09:42 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
muskrat411 Offline
trapper

Loc: Northwest Territories
Don't even trap with anattitude like that. Stay home and play call of duty. If you kill it is you responsibility to do the best you can with it. Morally and probably legally. It's dummies like you that give trappers a bad namesake in mommies basement and tell for her to bring you more chicken fingers.

#6055101 - 11/15/17 09:48 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
Ice_Rat Offline
trapper

Loc: WI
Lmfao^^^^^^

You have no clue....

#6055110 - 11/15/17 09:56 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: bblwi]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: bblwi
There are many times differences between "cheap" fur and "junk" fur. Cheap many times is market related and junk is quality related.
Good fall large WI rats are cheap but not junk fur, ditto 2xl 1-11 grade average color coons. Their cheap but not necessarily junk. Those furs just don't have much value in the current market.

Bryce

I disagree. Junk fur is a pelt that is not worth the time and effort to trap. skin, and stretch. Sometimes low quality pelts are worth selling. An ever changing situation. Right now, if I skin an ermine and send it to a Canadian Auction it is junk fur. Squirrels have always been. Junk fur has no market or very cheap.

#6055114 - 11/15/17 10:00 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
mnsota Offline
trapper

Loc: minnesota
Don't even trap with anattitude like that. Stay home and play call of duty. If you kill it is you responsibility to do the best you can with it. Morally and probably legally. It's dummies like you that give trappers a bad namesake in mommies basement and tell for her to bring you more chicken fingers.

Do you skin your voles out?

#6055118 - 11/15/17 10:12 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
trapperkeck Offline
trapper

Loc: Crofton, NE
I just opened my NAFA check and I see I got $25 for 4X 2-3 coon and $18 for the 3X models. These were SEL grades. If you cherry pick the best, there is still some demand for coon from the best areas. Overall, I averaged a hair over $15 on the 12 I had left. My worst coon, a 3X I-II brought $8.

#6055177 - 11/15/17 11:40 AM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: mnsota]
PAskinner Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: mnsota

Do you skin your voles out?

Lol. I have skinned hundreds of $1.50 possums. But for a quarter to 50 cents I will not waste my time. I figure I've already saved many turkey and duck eggs this year, bet I killed 30 possums already.

#6055218 - 11/15/17 01:06 PM Re: Do you think it's worth it, putting up cheap fur? [Re: KeithC]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
I always found it funny when trappers here would toss a 5 dollar weasel but skin a 2 dollar muskrat,lol.
There is a very good market for tanned weasels also,but none for tanned rats.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >