No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Goodman banner
(Please support Joe Goodman because of his support for us)

Topic Options
Hop to:
#6054079 - 11/14/17 07:27 AM bedding and covering traps in muddy not frozen gro
crowspond Offline
trapper

Loc: kentucky
new to coyote trapping what is used to cover the trap in muddy conditions where I live there is no sand new to trapping and only running 6 traps only want to catch hopefully coyotes and suggestions appreciated thanks crowspond

#6054093 - 11/14/17 07:37 AM Re: bedding and covering traps in muddy not frozen gro [Re: crowspond]
Golf ball Offline
trapper

Loc: E central Il
I used dry dirt for years, gather it from old barns and corn cribs . Sometimes you can get it from under bridges.

#6054116 - 11/14/17 08:00 AM Re: bedding and covering traps in muddy not frozen gro [Re: crowspond]
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper

Loc: N.W. Iowa
Sometimes the dirt from a dirt hole is dry enough to use

#6054200 - 11/14/17 09:42 AM Re: bedding and covering traps in muddy not frozen gro [Re: crowspond]
Yotegiter Offline
trapper

Loc: Formerly NM, now Midway, KY
Go get some pet moss from Walmart. Excavate your hole. Bed your trap in peet, then top sift over with the driest dirt you can find.

#6054313 - 11/14/17 12:26 PM Re: bedding and covering traps in muddy not frozen gro [Re: crowspond]
crowspond Offline
trapper

Loc: kentucky
Allright in youtube videos there is not much concern for scent am I overly worried thanks

#6054371 - 11/14/17 01:42 PM Re: bedding and covering traps in muddy not frozen gro [Re: crowspond]
l1ranger Offline
trapper

Loc: Shenandoah County, VA
if im not bringing in my own dry dirt - I also look under evergreens, or a rock ledge, and other natural places where the dirt will be dryer nearby to my set.

scent is a concern, but not necessarily the scent of the dirt, unless you are getting it, or storing it, somewhere that it is going to pick up strange odors.

#6054602 - 11/14/17 06:31 PM Re: bedding and covering traps in muddy not frozen gro [Re: crowspond]
EdP Offline
trapper

Loc: meadowview, Virginia
I used to trap in western Ky and I feel your pain. Wet clay is difficult at best. If you bed the traps solid in wet clay, the soil will expand when it freezes and the traps will not be bedded solid any more. If you bed in fairly dry clay, it will rain and then freeze the cover so solid the trap won't trigger. Dry dirt and peat moss both help. I liked a dusting of peat under the trap to keep it from sticking/freezing to the wet clay, but you can't bed solid in peat, just a dusting. I would fill in and around the trap with peat and used dry dirt on top to keep the peat in place and blend the color. Digging out the muck down to solid clay and back filling with dry dirt would probably have worked better, but would use a lot of dirt. The peat fill will get you thru a light rain but not a heavy rain. It's very hard to keep sets working with the constant rain, freeze, thaw cycles. Set on high spots that water drains from and keep checking and remaking sets so they will work. Sometimes when heavy rain is coming its just best to put a bunch of material over the sets to keep them from getting swamped and take it off the next day.

Edited by EdP (11/14/17 06:32 PM)

#6054605 - 11/14/17 06:33 PM Re: bedding and covering traps in muddy not frozen gro [Re: crowspond]
rhobbs Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan
Im new to coyote trapping also. Ive had good luck so far bedding my traps with the "pipe dream" set method. Its been pretty wet here and ive been able to bed my traps pretty solid. I find it very fast and easy also. Ive caught two coyote in 4 sets in two weeks now with no dig ups. If your not familiar with it here is the thread: https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4093801/Pipe_Dream_Set_for_Coyotes

Good luck!