No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Goodman banner
(Please support Joe Goodman because of his support for us)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#6054250 - 11/14/17 10:53 AM Typical car dealership.
Finster Online   content
trapper

Loc: Fredonia, PA.
So I'm coming home from Hellinois Saturday. I stop on I-80 to get diesel and punch it on the on ramp to get back up to speed. I get a few miles down the road and I notice the "service engine soon" light is on. 2016 F-250 super duty 6.7 powerstroke with under 36,000 miles. Oil change less than 4000 miles ago both fuel filters repaced less than 3000 miles ago. So I get home and pop the hood. I notice the air filter gizmo that tells you how clogged the filter is, now down to about 50% to the red line. So I pop off the cover and it was pretty dirty. I replace it, start the truck and the light is still on. Monday morning I call the dealer, naturally after 35,000 the "bumper to bumper" is gone and the 50,000 power train he tells me may or may not cover the problem. Labor is $105 an hour. I worked at my fathers garage for years, I'm not the new kid on the block. I know a little about cars. So I ask the dealer, "How long will it take to read the code and figure out the problem?" He tells me 2 hours is usually how long it takes to run the test. Right there I know he's scamming me. You plug in the computer and you'll get a code in about 10 seconds. I've done it hundreds of times myself. Well, I make an appointment anyway, just in case and hang up. Now I'm pretty steamed that this place is trying to fleece me for hundreds. I call the local auto parts store, they have a scanner and I go on up. Less than 5 minutes after arriving, I have the code, know the problem and I'm back on the road.
It seems that the O2 sensor figured it wasn't getting enough air in the fuel mix and it tripped sending a code to the 'puter. My wheels start spinning and I figured that it probably happened when I moshed the gas on the ramp with the dirty air filter. He's not allowed to delete the code, something to do with policy or whatever so I go to the place I get tires and inspections. They hook up, delete the code and wish me well. No charge. Got on it coming home, drove it normal and slow in all ranges. The light never came on. So I "fixed" it for a $20 air cleaner.
The dealership was going to charge me $210 in labor for starters. I can't say they would have but how much do you want to bet it would have had a bad O2 sensor .... at least.... I guarantee none of it would have been covered. I'm not asking a dealership to work on a car for free. Everyone has to eat. However, everyone doesn't have to eat prime rib every night. Looks like I dodged the bullet this time. I'm sure they will get me sooner or later though.

#6054276 - 11/14/17 11:33 AM Re: Typical car dealership. [Re: Finster]
NEYotetrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: NE
Thats how the major dealerships make the bulk of their money. It isnt on selling new cars, its the money they charge to fix your "problems".

#6054283 - 11/14/17 11:45 AM Re: Typical car dealership. [Re: NEYotetrapper]
Finster Online   content
trapper

Originally Posted By: NEYotetrapper
Thats how the major dealerships make the bulk of their money. It isnt on selling new cars, its the money they charge to fix your "problems".
Yup, I know.

#6054284 - 11/14/17 11:47 AM Re: Typical car dealership. [Re: Finster]
keystone Offline
trapper

Loc: laporte co. indiana
I hear you, you have to spend more time these days trying to avoid scams than ever before. You would think these places would just treat people fairly and word would spread and the door would never shut because they would have so much business.

My buddy has a similar truck to yours and was working out of town and had to fill up at the gas station ( normally would just fill up at the farm) and the tanker put gas in the diesel tank. Needless to say he didn't make it to far down the freeway. The gas station did cover the service and towing bill. It's a shame though, close to a $70,000 truck. He was madder than a hornet.

#6054288 - 11/14/17 11:51 AM Re: Typical car dealership. [Re: keystone]
Finster Online   content
trapper

Originally Posted By: keystone
I hear you, you have to spend more time these days trying to avoid scams than ever before. You would think these places would just treat people fairly and word would spread and the door would never shut because they would have so much business.

My buddy has a similar truck to yours and was working out of town and had to fill up at the gas station ( normally would just fill up at the farm) and the tanker put gas in the diesel tank. Needless to say he didn't make it to far down the freeway. The gas station did cover the service and towing bill. It's a shame though, close to a $70,000 truck. He was madder than a hornet.
Yea, that scares the crap out of me and I've thought about it more than once while filling up. I remember the tankers when they pulled into my fathers station. None of the drivers were rocket scientist. We didn't sell diesel but more than once they put super in the regular or plus in the super or whatever.

#6054293 - 11/14/17 12:00 PM Re: Typical car dealership. [Re: Finster]
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper

Loc: Green County Wisconsin
I may never go to another dealer again just keep buying used that my local shop can tell me are worth buying and that they can work on.

the last one I went to wanted to charge me 75 dollars labor to change the tranny fluid , but I was also getting a leak fixed I said wait a minute you have to hook the same machine up to add a quart that you do to add 4 more and you want me to pay for it as a whole separate procedure , which only a moron would do it that way. oh well yes I guess you have a point just the 4 quarts of tranny fluid then would be the only charge after fixing the leak they couldn't fix the first time.

the time before they told me In needed ball joints 1200 dollars , I jacked up the front of the van 2001 E350 and checked it , I didn't need ball joints , I did need shocks.

#6054299 - 11/14/17 12:11 PM Re: Typical car dealership. [Re: Finster]
Ronaround Offline
trapper

Loc: N.E.Ohio
Took my honda fit honda dealer and said it was a bad battery.To much I said, so i'll get my own. Went to Autozone and got a battery, then still said battery on dash. They ran code test the following day and said alternator was under producing. So back to Honda dealer and low and behold they now say alternator after I bought a new battery at the Autozone.(cant read a code now?) 350 bucks. Your right there are slippery them dealerships.

#6054301 - 11/14/17 12:12 PM Re: Typical car dealership. [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE]
Finster Online   content
trapper

Originally Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE
I may never go to another dealer again just keep buying used that my local shop can tell me are worth buying and that they can work on.

the last one I went to wanted to charge me 75 dollars labor to change the tranny fluid , but I was also getting a leak fixed I said wait a minute you have to hook the same machine up to add a quart that you do to add 4 more and you want me to pay for it as a whole separate procedure , which only a moron would do it that way. oh well yes I guess you have a point just the 4 quarts of tranny fluid then would be the only charge after fixing the leak they couldn't fix the first time.

the time before they told me In needed ball joints 1200 dollars , I jacked up the front of the van 2001 E350 and checked it , I didn't need ball joints , I did need shocks.
Yup, there are only two reasons that I even entertained the idea of going to the dealer. 1st, I figured it would be under warrantee. 2nd, it's my first diesel and I don't know very much about them. Unless there is a major catastrophic failure that the warrantee will have to cover, I guess I'm on a search for a diesel mechanic that is honest, has morals and integrity. I'll probably be searching awhile.

#6054311 - 11/14/17 12:25 PM Re: Typical car dealership. [Re: Finster]
NEYotetrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: NE
Their out there. Just find a small shop that has a waiting list, then you will know you are onto something. We have a couple of those guys in my area. They cant keep up, their places look like a car dealership with all the cars waiting their turn to be serviced. Not good if you are in a hurry. However it fits the quote "Cheap, fast and good. Which two would you like?"

#6054314 - 11/14/17 12:28 PM Re: Typical car dealership. [Re: Finster]
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper

Loc: MB
I now go on YouTube and learn how to fix my vehicles. Iíve saved a ton of money since doing that.
Also another thing that made me realize professionals arenít really professionals, itís just a title, is I got hired to service overhead doors at a overhead door company. I had zero experience with garage doors and all that. My second day they gave me a company vehicle and said hereís your work orders go fix some doors.
I had no training at all. Here I was driving around the city fixing doors. Lol! People saw me driving around and they thought I was a professional door fixer. They didnít know I didnít know what I was doing.
I ended up getting real good at fixing doors and really enjoyed the job.
Now when I see people driving company vehicles I tell myself, probably a nube right now just like me. Lmao!

#6054322 - 11/14/17 12:33 PM Re: Typical car dealership. [Re: Finster]
bob56 Offline
trapper

Loc: NW Missouri
That's why I went and spent about 100.00 bucks for one of those scanners. Tells me the code, which I can look up on the internet and then decide, fix myself, go to dealer or just clear it. Seem to do a lot of just clearing the code so the light isn't on.

#6054329 - 11/14/17 12:41 PM Re: Typical car dealership. [Re: Finster]
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper

Loc: Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Finster
Originally Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Yup, there are only two reasons that I even entertained the idea of going to the dealer. 1st, I figured it would be under warrantee. 2nd, it's my first diesel and I don't know very much about them. Unless there is a major catastrophic failure that the warrantee will have to cover, I guess I'm on a search for a diesel mechanic that is honest, has morals and integrity. I'll probably be searching awhile.

yeah I had a cousin that was a heck of a turbo diesel mechanic but he died in a motorcycle crash a year ago.

they have some great new scan tools that are less money than having one code pulled at a dealer that are wifi right to a smart phone or lap top you can just keep it plugged in all the time. https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1510684239&sr=1-4&keywords=obdii+scanner
my brother has a corded scan tool so I haven't bought one yet
back in 96 I had access to a snap-on scan tool it was 1500 dollars plus cartridges for different vehicles now a 50 dollar scan tool will do most of what that scanner would do

#6054338 - 11/14/17 12:53 PM Re: Typical car dealership. [Re: Finster]
illinideer Offline
trapper

Loc: West Cent IL
I bought a harbor freight cen tec scanner a few years ago think it ran me 50 bucks. Wanted one that had a live data feed. My 99 Silverado kept giving me fits of missing bad would never do it all the time. Finally found that I had a broke wire on the right bank up stream o2 sensor
J
USN AE2 VF-31 Tomcatters
Retired SMSGT IL ANG 183 Fighter Wing
Coyote U Class #4

#6054342 - 11/14/17 12:56 PM Re: Typical car dealership. [Re: Finster]
2ndjoborfun Offline
trapper

Loc: Alabama
I've been so disappointed with the "GM good wrench" folks - That's why (service department) the chi-coms are eating our lunch.

2nd

#6054359 - 11/14/17 01:32 PM Re: Typical car dealership. [Re: Jurassic Park]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
Originally Posted By: Jurassic Park
I now go on YouTube and learn how to fix my vehicles. Iíve saved a ton of money since doing that.
Also another thing that made me realize professionals arenít really professionals, itís just a title, is I got hired to service overhead doors at a overhead door company. I had zero experience with garage doors and all that. My second day they gave me a company vehicle and said hereís your work orders go fix some doors.
I had no training at all. Here I was driving around the city fixing doors. Lol! People saw me driving around and they thought I was a professional door fixer. They didnít know I didnít know what I was doing.
I ended up getting real good at fixing doors and really enjoyed the job.
Now when I see people driving company vehicles I tell myself, probably a nube right now just like me. Lmao!

Good point. Goooooood point. There's a huge difference between a true professional and a "big box professional".

#6054369 - 11/14/17 01:38 PM Re: Typical car dealership. [Re: Finster]
corky Offline
trapper

Loc: Three Lakes,WI 66
I must be really lucky since I have had no problems with our local Chevy dealer in 15 years. I think it helps that I live in a small town where everybody knows everyone. With my Toyota I have 3 years and 30,000 miles on it and except for oil changes I have had no reason to see a dealer or repair garage. I am mechanically illiterate with no inclination to learn. LOL

#6054382 - 11/14/17 02:17 PM Re: Typical car dealership. [Re: corky]
Finster Online   content
trapper

Originally Posted By: corky
I must be really lucky since I have had no problems with our local Chevy dealer in 15 years. I think it helps that I live in a small town where everybody knows everyone. With my Toyota I have 3 years and 30,000 miles on it and except for oil changes I have had no reason to see a dealer or repair garage. I am mechanically illiterate with no inclination to learn. LOL
Towns don't get to much smaller than the dealer I called. Andy Griffith would be lonely around here. grin A thief is a thief.

Edited by Finster (11/14/17 02:18 PM)

#6054385 - 11/14/17 02:25 PM Re: Typical car dealership. [Re: Finster]
Finster Online   content
trapper

I plan on getting a scanner. However, I want to get the one where I can program and do diagnostics also. They are big bucks. You have to be able to do that these days to replace a fuel injector (they all have codes you must enter) and you need something like that to really even know if something is "somewhat wrong" because the computer will compensate for a bad fuel injector and you'll have less power. You may not even notice until you need it. This among other things. Yup, the truck is wayyyy toooo high tec. Give me points and a carb any day! Anyhow, that tool is around $1200-$1500 or one good trip to the dealer, however you want to look at it. I'll probably buy a cheapo scanner until I can afford the good one just to get by and read codes.

#6054451 - 11/14/17 03:45 PM Re: Typical car dealership. [Re: Finster]
gutthooked Offline
trapper

Loc: uniontown pa
My buddy got the same ford diesel and it's in the shop all of the time. He said when the warranty is up he getting a gasser.

#6054459 - 11/14/17 03:50 PM Re: Typical car dealership. [Re: gutthooked]
Finster Online   content
trapper

Originally Posted By: gutthooked
My buddy got the same ford diesel and it's in the shop all of the time. He said when the warranty is up he getting a gasser.
What year and for what?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >