No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Goodman banner
(Please support Joe Goodman because of his support for us)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#6054648 - 11/14/17 07:17 PM State presses forward on DNR trespassing case
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Loc: Gitche Gumee Wisconsin

Wisconsin state presses forward on DNR trespassing case .

I can't link it .

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#6054672 - 11/14/17 07:40 PM Re: State presses forward on DNR trespassing case [Re: RiversNorth13]
Steven 49er Offline
trapper

Loc: mn north of blakely

#6054675 - 11/14/17 07:42 PM Re: State presses forward on DNR trespassing case [Re: RiversNorth13]
Steven 49er Offline
trapper

Loc: mn north of blakely
It's a wonder someone didnt get shot on this occasion

#6054720 - 11/14/17 08:17 PM Re: State presses forward on DNR trespassing case [Re: RiversNorth13]
Catch22 Offline
trapper

Loc: OH
Hooray for that guy and the Wisconsin SC for adhering to the Constitution. Hopefully the people will get back their rights and freedoms, and it spreads to other States as well!

#6054733 - 11/14/17 08:30 PM Re: State presses forward on DNR trespassing case [Re: RiversNorth13]
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper

Loc: Green County Wisconsin
you know when the sheriff shoes up they have police or sheriff printed across their jackets , it seems only reasonable that if you are going to stop some one they should be able to easily identify who is stopping them a vest with 4 inch high DNR and smaller print saying conservation warden when the wardens brown uniform is covered seems very reasonable.

it's funny when a unmarked car is pulling you over they tell you to dial 911 and verify it is an officer or they will send a marked car to your location.

but 2 guys in orange who don't sound like they identified themselves very well , surely they had a badge and ID telling you to surrender on your own place without identifying themselves clearly as DNR just doesn't seem very smart

#6054781 - 11/14/17 09:23 PM Re: State presses forward on DNR trespassing case [Re: RiversNorth13]
trapper234 Offline
trapper

Loc: Perkinstown,, Wisconsin
I agree with the court.
YouTube Channel: Trapper234

#6054803 - 11/14/17 10:00 PM Re: State presses forward on DNR trespassing case [Re: RiversNorth13]
AJE Offline
trapper

Loc: WI - Wisconsin
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

#6054866 - 11/15/17 01:35 AM Re: State presses forward on DNR trespassing case [Re: RiversNorth13]
Calvin Offline
trapper

Loc: South metro, MN
I find it a little hard to believe that 2 game wardens DIDN'T identify themselves upon contact. Its not like they don't do it for a living.

I get that's what his attorney went with (and why) but not so sure I'm believing this as written. I'm guessing the "other side" has a different recollection of how this went down.

This is one good thing that has come out of the body cameras worn by LE nowadays. They are not everywhere yet, however. Won't be long, though. As they say nowadays "if its not on video, it didn't happen".

Edited by Calvin (11/15/17 01:37 AM)

#6054872 - 11/15/17 02:08 AM Re: State presses forward on DNR trespassing case [Re: RiversNorth13]
KenaiKid Offline
trapper

Loc: Kenai AK
I like that Justice Rebecca Bradley. Y'all better keep her.

Maybe they intended to identify themselves. That doesn't mean they did it adequately. When someone walks up on you out of the dark, spotlights you so you can't see them, the first spoken words are easily lost under the noise of a rustling coat, scuffing feet as you turn, their footsteps, etc. Then the first thing he hears is them telling him to hand over his gun. It easily sounds like a robbery.

But, as the justice pointed out, that doesn't really matter if they didn't have a right to be there in the first place..

#6054916 - 11/15/17 05:30 AM Re: State presses forward on DNR trespassing case [Re: RiversNorth13]
Rick Otts Offline
trapper

Loc: Alpine NY
Something isn't right here I don't see why the officers didn't identify themselfs if that is the case.

#6054945 - 11/15/17 06:12 AM Re: State presses forward on DNR trespassing case [Re: RiversNorth13]
danny clifton Offline
trapper

Loc: williamsburg ks
Someone comes up to you, on your property, in the twilight of evening, then demands your firearm. Its a real wonder no one was shot.

#6054976 - 11/15/17 06:59 AM Re: State presses forward on DNR trespassing case [Re: RiversNorth13]
Kart29 Offline
trapper

Loc: Hancock Co., Indiana
It's great to see that there is still pockets of justice in America. Corruption and crime seem to be on the rise. But there's still more "liberty and justice for all" here than about anywhere else I suppose.

I'm not sure if I would just lay down my arms because two guys in the woods after dark say they are game wardens. I think I'd want to see some badges, uniforms, etc. before I surrendered my weapons. Anybody can shout out "conservation officer! drop your weapon!". That doesn't mean it's true. If the DNR officers weren't doing anything wrong, they shouldn't have anything to fear from the citizenry, right?

The last time a game warden snuck up on me in the dark, he didn't ask me to disarm. And he was all alone by himself. Sounds like these wardens in WI aren't quite up to snuff.

#6054979 - 11/15/17 07:03 AM Re: State presses forward on DNR trespassing case [Re: RiversNorth13]
Diggerman Offline
trapper

Loc: Wi.
I know both wardens, one is a good guy, one is a real donkey.

#6054981 - 11/15/17 07:12 AM Re: State presses forward on DNR trespassing case [Re: RiversNorth13]
Diggerman Offline
trapper

Loc: Wi.
Also TDHP should read Justice Bradley's take on the law.

#6055019 - 11/15/17 07:53 AM Re: State presses forward on DNR trespassing case [Re: KenaiKid]
Ronaround Offline
trapper

Loc: N.E.Ohio
Originally Posted By: KenaiKid
I like that Justice Rebecca Bradley. Y'all better keep her.

Maybe they intended to identify themselves. That doesn't mean they did it adequately. When someone walks up on you out of the dark, spotlights you so you can't see them, the first spoken words are easily lost under the noise of a rustling coat, scuffing feet as you turn, their footsteps, etc. Then the first thing he hears is them telling him to hand over his gun. It easily sounds like a robbery.

But, as the justice pointed out, that doesn't really matter if they didn't have a right to be there in the first place..

I'm going with this guys thoughts... to often we get overbearing cops,Game wardens and feds.I hope he wins ,boy if only he was black he would be winning a lawsuit for millions.(same excuse different color,fear of my life syndrome)

#6055028 - 11/15/17 08:08 AM Re: State presses forward on DNR trespassing case [Re: RiversNorth13]
tomahawker Offline
trapper

Loc: ohio
Boils down to if they adequately identified themselves.

#6055058 - 11/15/17 08:50 AM Re: State presses forward on DNR trespassing case [Re: tomahawker]
K52 Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Kansas
Originally Posted By: tomahawker

It has nothing to do with them identifying themselves, read the ruling. It has everything to do with they had no right to be there and confront the owner. They flat overstepped their bounds.

#6055069 - 11/15/17 08:59 AM Re: State presses forward on DNR trespassing case [Re: K52]
Catch22 Offline
trapper

Loc: OH
Originally Posted By: K52
Originally Posted By: tomahawker

It has nothing to do with them identifying themselves, read the ruling. It has everything to do with they had no right to be there and confront the owner. They flat overstepped their bounds.

From what I read it has to do with both issues.

#6055086 - 11/15/17 09:23 AM Re: State presses forward on DNR trespassing case [Re: RiversNorth13]
mutt Offline
trapper

Loc: wisconsin, manitowoc
I believe when this originally came out they did identify themselves verbally. The issue came from they were not in a "uniform"(they were wearing blaze orange because its hunting season), they blinded the man with a flashlight on his own property, and when the man became agitated by 2 strangers showing up out of no where they demanded/then physically took a weapon from him.
The wardens should have deescalted, allowed the landowner the benefit of doubt and requested marked officers respond. Instead they escalated the situation because they are probly the 2 meathead wardens that travel that state giving all the other wardens a bad rap.
I hope this guy wins his new trial and wins a suit against the state so he can live the rest of his life in luxury.
I also hope this sets a prwcidence and deffines the dnrs "open fields" clause.

#6055089 - 11/15/17 09:32 AM Re: State presses forward on DNR trespassing case [Re: Calvin]
skippyturtle Offline
trapper

Loc: ohio
Originally Posted By: Calvin
I find it a little hard to believe that 2 game wardens DIDN'T identify themselves upon contact. Its not like they don't do it for a living.

I get that's what his attorney went with (and why) but not so sure I'm believing this as written. I'm guessing the "other side" has a different recollection of how this went down.

This is one good thing that has come out of the body cameras worn by LE nowadays. They are not everywhere yet, however. Won't be long, though. As they say nowadays "if its not on video, it didn't happen".

Like no other LEO has ever forgot to identify themselves at the onset of an altercation? Happens all the time and by long time officers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >