No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Goodman banner
(Please support Joe Goodman because of his support for us)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#6068686 - 11/29/17 10:17 AM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: lindner115]
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper

Loc: sometimes PA sometimes ME
Originally Posted By: lindner115
Originally Posted By: 330-Trapper
Last day today...see if we can fill my partners tags. 5 day season it's hard to do.

How do you pick location without snow and tracks. this is my first fisher tag. took me 7 years to get and i've only got 10 days to catch one.

This works for me, Pre-bait. Several years ago I experimented with pre-baiting. Because of special "Lynx Rules" where I trapped I wanted to use foothold traps. That required a 24 hour check so I wanted to catch fisher fast. I used beaver carcasses for bait and here is what I found. Some fisher hit and run and I did not catch fisher at those locations. Other fisher will stay on the bait until it is 100% gone. I was able to catch fisher quickly at those locations & several locations produced two fishers and some marten. If you have the time and energy pre-baiting will allow you to catch fisher quick.

Edited by ebsurveyor (11/29/17 10:19 AM)

#6068810 - 11/29/17 01:34 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: ebsurveyor]
Mac Offline
trapper

Loc: Maine
"This works for me, Pre-bait. Several years ago I experimented with pre-baiting. Because of special "Lynx Rules" where I trapped I wanted to use foothold traps. That required a 24 hour check so I wanted to catch fisher fast. I used beaver carcasses for bait and here is what I found. Some fisher hit and run and I did not catch fisher at those locations. Other fisher will stay on the bait until it is 100% gone. I was able to catch fisher quickly at those locations & several locations produced two fishers and some marten. If you have the time and energy pre-baiting will allow you to catch fisher quick."

Yup. Pretty much tells you one of the best strategies.

#6069693 - 11/30/17 10:03 AM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: Predatorfever32]
330-Trapper Offline

Loc: Minnesota
ebsurveyor, Cool Pictures!!

#6069731 - 11/30/17 10:53 AM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: 330-Trapper]
zallen Offline
trapper

Loc: NH
330-Trapper - do you find that the skunks caught in connibears spray?

William Pitt

#6069924 - 11/30/17 03:45 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: 330-Trapper]
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: 330-Trapper
ebsurveyor, Cool Pictures!!

Thanks, I have hundreds of them. This guy took about 200 before I moved the camera:

Edited by ebsurveyor (11/30/17 09:50 PM)

#6069944 - 11/30/17 04:10 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: ebsurveyor]
BernieB. Online   content
trapper

Loc: Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted By: ebsurveyor

This works for me, Pre-bait. Several years ago I experimented with pre-baiting. Because of special "Lynx Rules" where I trapped I wanted to use foothold traps. That required a 24 hour check so I wanted to catch fisher fast. I used beaver carcasses for bait and here is what I found. Some fisher hit and run and I did not catch fisher at those locations. Other fisher will stay on the bait until it is 100% gone. I was able to catch fisher quickly at those locations & several locations produced two fishers and some marten. If you have the time and energy pre-baiting will allow you to catch fisher quick.

Just curious do you ever notice if the females are more likely to stay around and work it for a few days than the males?

#6069963 - 11/30/17 04:24 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: BernieB.]
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: BernieB.
Just curious do you ever notice if the females are more likely to stay around and work it for a few days than the males?

Never thought about it but now that I do, you might be correct. I do know that I catch about three females to every two males at pre-bait locations.

#6070103 - 11/30/17 06:21 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: Predatorfever32]
Posco Offline
trapper

Loc: Maine, Aroostook
I was surprised a couple of days back when I saw fisher tracks on snow quite a ways out in an overgrown field littered with apple trees. It was obvious it was running rabbit (snowshoe hare) trails.

I was dragging a deer carcass to place as coyote bait (hunting) and dropped part of a hind leg in the vicinity of the fisher tracks. I went by there today and saw where something had dragged the leg under an evergreen. I presume it was the fisher.

I set a conibear box on the location. I'll let you know how I make out.

#6070128 - 11/30/17 06:40 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: Posco]
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Posco
I was surprised a couple of days back when I saw fisher tracks on snow quite a ways out in an overgrown field littered with apple trees. It was obvious it was running rabbit (snowshoe hare) trails.

I was dragging a deer carcass to place as coyote bait (hunting) and dropped part of a hind leg in the vicinity of the fisher tracks. I went by there today and saw where something had dragged the leg under an evergreen. I presume it was the fisher.

I set a conibear box on the location. I'll let you know how I make out.

Sometimes it works.

#6070135 - 11/30/17 06:43 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: Predatorfever32]
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Predatorfever32
I thought I would try our brief fisher season in my state. What do you guys do when specificially targeting fisher? What size do you use? What sets/Baits/ lure etc. I assume they don't mind excessive blocking.

Find a fisher trail. These track were not there four days ago. I made a set there today. I'll update if I get one.

#6070148 - 11/30/17 06:55 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: ebsurveyor]
Posco Offline
trapper

I used the side entrance with baffle. Maybe I'm feeling overly optimistic but I'm looking for wide springs on the outside of that box tomorrow.

#6070182 - 11/30/17 07:12 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: zallen]
330-Trapper Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Originally Posted By: zallen
330-Trapper - do you find that the skunks caught in connibears spray?
Usually they just leak some ..but Belisles help with a quick dispatch

#6070189 - 11/30/17 07:18 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: Predatorfever32]
Posco Offline
trapper

Question about fisher for you seasoned guys. Is it normal for fisher to run together or are they typically a solo creature? I had scouting camera pics with as many as five fisher at a time sitting on my bear baits. Granola was the bait btw.

#6070227 - 11/30/17 07:39 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: ebsurveyor]
FriarTuck Offline
trapper

Loc: Baudette MN
Originally Posted By: ebsurveyor
Originally Posted By: Predatorfever32
I thought I would try our brief fisher season in my state. What do you guys do when specificially targeting fisher? What size do you use? What sets/Baits/ lure etc. I assume they don't mind excessive blocking.

Find a fisher trail. These track were not there four days ago. I made a set there today. I'll update if I get one.

I am betting you will catch that fisher 9 days from today!

#6070348 - 11/30/17 08:30 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: Posco]
Nessmuck Offline
trapper

Loc: New Hampshire
Question about fisher for you seasoned guys. Is it normal for fisher to run together or are they typically a solo creature? I had scouting camera pics with as many as five fisher at a time sitting on my bear baits. Granola was the bait btw.

I always make at least 2 sets together....just in case a coon ends up in one....or you get a double. I alway use a leaning pole set ,for many reasons.

A....with the trap 5 feet off the ground...it's easy to see a catch from a distance...so you can keep your tracks in the snow away from the set (Theives).

B .....when it snows a foot....the cubbie is buried ...but the pole set is easy to Check

C....the catch is hanging ...not on the ground,where mice can chew on it.

D....with the skunk / Gusto ...5 feet up....helps to cast the scent a greater distance

#6070415 - 11/30/17 09:22 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: Nessmuck]
Posco Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Nessmuck

I always make at least 2 sets together....just in case a coon ends up in one....or you get a double. I alway use a leaning pole set ,for many reasons.

A....with the trap 5 feet off the ground...it's easy to see a catch from a distance...so you can keep your tracks in the snow away from the set (Theives).

B .....when it snows a foot....the cubbie is buried ...but the pole set is easy to Check

D....with the skunk / Gusto ...5 feet up....helps to cast the scent a greater distance

Thanks for the tips, I'll use them.

#6070428 - 11/30/17 09:34 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: Nessmuck]
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Nessmuck

'coons here are in for the winter, but I do make two sets at hot locations. Been trapping Maine for eight years and no one has messed with any of my fisher/marten sets.

No pole sets in Maine. All connies on land must be inside a lynx exclusion box. I always put my call lure up high, everything else in the box.

Fishers sometimes eat hanging stuff:

Edited by ebsurveyor (11/30/17 09:36 PM)

#6070435 - 11/30/17 09:39 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: Posco]
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper

I've seen 100's of fisher in trail cams (bear baits) and have never seen more than one at a time. Some days we will have as many as 30 bear hunters setting on baits, they have reported 4 or 5 martens at the same time, but no one every reported more than single fishers.

Edited by ebsurveyor (11/30/17 09:44 PM)

#6070439 - 11/30/17 09:41 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: FriarTuck]
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: FriarTuck

I am betting you will catch that fisher 9 days from today!

Hope you're right.

Edited by ebsurveyor (11/30/17 09:41 PM)

#6070444 - 11/30/17 09:48 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: Predatorfever32]
Nessmuck Offline
trapper

Loc: New Hampshire
You get a warm day in Fisher season...them coons will come out...been there ,done that.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >