Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Topic Options
Hop to:
#6075065 - 12/05/17 08:46 AM Cable Restraints Prepping
MichaelH Offline
trapper

Loc: Challis, Idaho, USA!
Just got some new cable restraints. It's been a while since I prepped snares. Is baking soda still the best method to dull them up? Steaming hot water and baking soda for 1 hour or so? They look very good and oil free, but just too shiney.
Thanx in advance
MH

#6075450 - 12/05/17 03:41 PM Re: Cable Restraints Prepping [Re: MichaelH]
Allan Minear Offline
trapper

Loc: Lewistown , Mt
That's what I've done for many years after the initial cleaning remember to remove the container from the heat source, then over flow the dirty water with clean water obviously then you could add juniper berries or sagebrush leaves or what ever else you have in your area .
Feel free to ask me any questions about snares or snaring.
Allan

#6075681 - 12/05/17 07:05 PM Re: Cable Restraints Prepping [Re: MichaelH]
Saskayote Offline
trapper

Loc: SK
I think prep is a colossal waste of time, but manyswear by it. I make em and hang em. Very very rare do I see a refusal...

#6076603 - 12/06/17 05:18 PM Re: Cable Restraints Prepping [Re: MichaelH]
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper

Loc: Frazee, MN
I agree Saskayote. But I make them in the spring and let them hang out side all year. I can see if you just got them you might want to do something with them if they are very oily. But you still might get away with getting them out there right now. IMO

#6076716 - 12/06/17 06:37 PM Re: Cable Restraints Prepping [Re: MichaelH]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
I just hit them with a light coat of spray paint. I know many people successfully use baking soda and swear by it, but I'm never going to degrease my cables again. What other people do is up to them, and I encourage people to do what works for them.

#6076795 - 12/06/17 07:52 PM Re: Cable Restraints Prepping [Re: Aix sponsa]
~ADC~ Offline
The Count

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Aix sponsa
I just hit them with a light coat of spray paint. I know many people successfully use baking soda and swear by it, but I'm never going to degrease my cables again. What other people do is up to them, and I encourage people to do what works for them.

This is the correct answer IMO.

ADC's Skinning Machines & ADC's Baits <-- click here

#6077272 - 12/07/17 08:19 AM Re: Cable Restraints Prepping [Re: MichaelH]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Does paint stick to the cable with factory grease on It?
Does paint slow down the closing of the snare?
1x19 cable Is pretty slick and the hole In the lock Is pretty small and It seems paint would just gum up the works.
I don't see any issues with boiling In baking soda. I have left snares out all year and I see no rusting of the cable. So what's the perceived Issues with the baking soda?

ADC what part of the statement Is correct IMO? Do what ever trips your trigger? LOL

#6077284 - 12/07/17 08:29 AM Re: Cable Restraints Prepping [Re: MichaelH]
AirportTrapper Offline
trapper

Paint will stick. Key words are "light coating". It will have no effect on the lock.

I like to use a lock one size bigger on all snares to give even more speed.

#6077287 - 12/07/17 08:30 AM Re: Cable Restraints Prepping [Re: MichaelH]
AirportTrapper Offline
trapper

In the south, cable rust very quickly.

#6077361 - 12/07/17 09:31 AM Re: Cable Restraints Prepping [Re: The Beav]
~ADC~ Offline
The Count

Originally Posted By: The Beav
Does paint stick to the cable with factory grease on It?
Does paint slow down the closing of the snare?
1x19 cable Is pretty slick and the hole In the lock Is pretty small and It seems paint would just gum up the works.
I don't see any issues with boiling In baking soda. I have left snares out all year and I see no rusting of the cable. So what's the perceived Issues with the baking soda?

ADC what part of the statement Is correct IMO? Do what ever trips your trigger? LOL

Baking soda makes the snares stiffer and slower. Paint in a light coat makes the snares blend in better, and doesn't slow the snares in any way. I've been using and studying snares for near 30 years, many locks, cables, styles and designs, as well as treatments and storage. I feel very confident in the advice I give on them.

IMO you're getting more refusals if your snares do not blend with the surroundings vs. gray or shiny snares.

Edited by ~ADC~ (12/07/17 09:37 AM)

#6077436 - 12/07/17 10:50 AM Re: Cable Restraints Prepping [Re: MichaelH]
acron Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
ADC - Nice Rebar stakes - are those the stakes you use for snare and kill pole? what is the nut at the top for?

#6077574 - 12/07/17 12:44 PM Re: Cable Restraints Prepping [Re: MichaelH]
The Beav Offline
trapper

You might be right on some things but baking soda Isn't going to make 1x19 any stiffer. I know for a fact since I use It.

#6077710 - 12/07/17 03:07 PM Re: Cable Restraints Prepping [Re: MichaelH]
~ADC~ Offline
The Count

Originally Posted By: acron
ADC - Nice Rebar stakes - are those the stakes you use for snare and kill pole? what is the nut at the top for?

Yes they are for Kill Poles. The end of the snare goes up through the nut then cinches down on the top of the stake.

Originally Posted By: The Beav
You might be right on some things but baking soda Isn't going to make 1x19 any stiffer. I know for a fact since I use It.

Boiling the cable, even just simmering it a little, will remove the oil from the inner strands of the cable. Once this lubrication is gone they will start to corrode, (how fast and how bad depends upon climate), but even the slightest causes friction between the strands of cable. This friction causes the cable to be more rigid and doesn't bend as smooth and easily. In your case you are using a very stiff cable to begin with (1x19 3/32") so you may not notice a really significant difference but I'll guarantee the cable is at least minutely stiffer. It's not going to keep you from catching coyotes but it can cause them to get a little further into the loop before it fires shut... and this, while no big deal with CR's, can be make a huge difference in the effectiveness of kill snares. They are much more effective when closed right below the skull, vs. further down the neck. Now, I know, the OP was asking about CR's so this part of the equation may not be of as much value to him, but there are a lot more folks reading this that it might help. In the case of the OP the coloring of the restraints so they blend better to their surroundings is the more valuable part of the light dusting of spray paint vs. boiling them in soda.

#6077720 - 12/07/17 03:18 PM Re: Cable Restraints Prepping [Re: MichaelH]
The Beav Offline
trapper

The ones I have boiled In soda come out a nice dull grey and they blend In perfectly.
Then of course If you set your lock In the 11:00 or 10:00 position your going to get Instant drop when the coyote sticks It's head In that loop. Of course you may get some premature closings with that lock positioning but for the most part It works.

What ever trips your trigger Is what you should do. If It Isn't broke why try to fix It.

But for argument sake I'm going to spray paint some NEW snares tonight and see how It works.

#6077832 - 12/07/17 05:14 PM Re: Cable Restraints Prepping [Re: MichaelH]
~ADC~ Offline
The Count

Light dusting of camo colors beav. Don't cuss me when you can't see where you set them.

#6078275 - 12/07/17 11:23 PM Re: Cable Restraints Prepping [Re: MichaelH]
The Beav Offline
trapper

I can't see them now when they are just a dull grey. LOL

#6078386 - 12/08/17 06:32 AM Re: Cable Restraints Prepping [Re: The Beav]
Hern Offline
trapper

Loc: Pennsyltucky
I can't see them now when they are just a dull grey.
Beav, you beat me to it. I was going to say that, you ole Mule skinner...lol

A side note, when ADC talks snares or cables, I listen.

#6080620 - Yesterday at 08:36 AM Re: Cable Restraints Prepping [Re: MichaelH]
Dustin_Drews Offline
trapper

Loc: Bison SD
I run them though the dish washer. No soap just the hot water. Take em out and is the flat tan camo spray pant on them. Just a light cat on the cable them make sure the lock is well painted and call it good. The dish washer grays them just like baking soda does. But it goes way faster.
You can fit 20 dozen in a dishwasher.
God Bless,
Dustin

#6081319 - Yesterday at 05:06 PM Re: Cable Restraints Prepping [Re: MichaelH]
The Beav Offline
trapper

I just spray painted a few cables yesterday.It was kind of a pain butt but It turned out OK.
I trap a lot of switch grass areas so I picked a flat tan color.

#6081351 - Yesterday at 05:27 PM Re: Cable Restraints Prepping [Re: MichaelH]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Part of the reason why I hit my with spray paint is so that I can protect my locks. I'm not sure what it's like where you all are, but here, steel locks rust very quickly, and they don't just get a little rust color--they RUST. I'm not anywhere that's brackish either. The standard steel locks just don't stay shiny long once they get wet.

Sometimes I'll take an entire order of locks and lay them out on a board. I'll put a coat of primer then paint on each side. Helps a bunch and only takes a minute. Another reason I like stainless

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie