No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Goodman banner
(Please support Joe Goodman because of his support for us)

Topic Options
Hop to:
#6076769 - 12/06/17 07:24 PM Pellet stove finaly quit
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Maine
My wood pellet stove finaly stopped running after 18 years.Looking into getting one of the newer self feeding pellet stoves that don't need elecricity.
2 otter
1 bobcat

#6076867 - 12/06/17 08:35 PM Re: Pellet stove finaly quit [Re: Bruce T]
J.Morse Online   content
trapper

Loc: Northern Michigan
No electricity? Who makes it?

#6076880 - 12/06/17 08:42 PM Re: Pellet stove finaly quit [Re: Bruce T]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

The natural gravity-feed system of the Wiseway Gravity-Fed Pellet Stove from US Stove eliminates all mechanical parts, meaning less maintenance and no required electricity. This patented revolutionary design is the only EPA-certified and UL-Listed non-electric pellet stove on the market today. The Wiseway is simple to start and operate. Simply heat the burn chamber and flue with a propane torch and start the pellet flow. This stove uses a natural draft that will take over and ramp the stove up to temperature. Adjustments are easy: simply open and close the fresh air intakes on the front of the stove. The window allows you to see the flame traveling up the body of the stove. Since it uses no electricity, heat is radiated off the 3-1/2 in. tubing and the steel baffles on the back. Best of all, this stove offers extremely small clearances on the rear and sides, making it easy to install. Since it does not use any electricity, this stove is the perfect source of heat for areas that are prone to blackouts or off-the-grid installations. It is designed to silently heat up to 2,000 sq. ft.
Gravity-fed
60 lb. hopper lasts for up to 36 hours
Silent operation
No moving parts for less maintenance
Modern stylish design fits many decors
Easy feed and output adjustments
Uses standard 3-inch pellet venting
40,000 BTU output
Heats up to 2,000 sq. ft.
Glass viewing window
EPA Certified
Limited Warranty - 3 year Firebox
2 otter
1 bobcat

#6076883 - 12/06/17 08:43 PM Re: Pellet stove finaly quit [Re: Bruce T]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Looking at buying it at tractor supply
2 otter
1 bobcat

#6076907 - 12/06/17 08:58 PM Re: Pellet stove finaly quit [Re: Bruce T]
Posco Online   content
trapper

Loc: Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted By: Bruce T

I saw one of those at Tractor Supply in Houlton and I wondered if they were a gimmick but looking at the reviews, I'd say they are not. That's more heat output than my Harman. Vent into a conventional chimney?

#6077179 - 12/07/17 06:54 AM Re: Pellet stove finaly quit [Re: Bruce T]
OhioBoy Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
There are some reviews on Amazon if you want another source of info.
Looks like Home Depot sells them too.

https://www.amazon.com/US-Stove-GW1949-Wiseway-Non-Electric/dp/B01CT69R5Q

another review that seemed helpful.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/my-wiseway-non-electric-stove-experience.115974/

#6077192 - 12/07/17 07:08 AM Re: Pellet stove finaly quit [Re: Posco]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Posco

I saw one of those at Tractor Supply in Houlton and I wondered if they were a gimmick but looking at the reviews, I'd say they are not. That's more heat output than my Harman. Vent into a conventional chimney?

Thats where I'm most likely going to buy it.Only 30 miles from where I live.
2 otter
1 bobcat

#6077198 - 12/07/17 07:15 AM Re: Pellet stove finaly quit [Re: Bruce T]
OhioBoy Offline
trapper

I see you are from maine. FYI.

I purchased this stove thinking it should easily heat my 1,200 sq. ft. home, since it is rated to heat a 2,000 sq. ft. home. (I even sold my electric pellet stove.) Hooked it up, and it did fine when the temperatures outside were only getting down in the 30's at night. But I live in Northern Maine where the winter temperatures are well below zero degrees, during the day! Right now, the stove can't get the room it is in above 68 degrees. Last night our bedroom was 48 degrees! And this is after I closed off the hallway, meaning the stove now only has to heat about half of my home. In other words, it can't even heat 600 square feet of living space!

We purchased and burn 100% softwood pellets (like the instructions say to do). I keep it clean by vacuuming the entire inside out (which requires that the stove be shut down completely). We have an older home, but it is insulated well. The stove runs between 600-700 degrees, and I even installed a new chimney which runs straight up through the roof. It still won't keep this place warm.

As it stands right now, I had to purchase another electric pellet stove. This stove is a nice toy for people in Southern climates, but it is no good if you live in a harsh winter environment. Keep in mind that the original WiseWay stove was designed by a guy in central California!

I should also add that the stove is made in Communist CHINA, NOT in Alabama like I was told by Tractor Supply!

#6077214 - 12/07/17 07:26 AM Re: Pellet stove finaly quit [Re: Bruce T]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Thanks for the information.I really only use it to heat up the living room and kitchen.I also have oil heat as well.I also want something I can run with no power when we loose the power every so often.
2 otter
1 bobcat

#6077229 - 12/07/17 07:36 AM Re: Pellet stove finaly quit [Re: Bruce T]
Posco Online   content
trapper

I for one appreciate your review, OhioBoy. I was toying with one until you chimed in.

I have a drafty old 2400 square foot home that I heat a with a Harman pellet stove. I also have hot water baseboard off a boiler but we try not to use that due to oil prices.

I have a one hundred year old antique coal stove that I refurbished and used to heat half the house until my wife brought home a parrot. I had to cease and desist because she feared it was bad for the birds respiratory system. That coal stove is a serious heater but the learning curve to burn coal is steep. Easy to light but tricky to keep going until you get the hang of it.

#6077234 - 12/07/17 07:43 AM Re: Pellet stove finaly quit [Re: Bruce T]
Posco Online   content
trapper

Only 30 miles from where I live.

I live in Houlton so we're almost neighbors. You live north or south?

#6077387 - 12/07/17 09:59 AM Re: Pellet stove finaly quit [Re: Bruce T]
OhioBoy Offline
trapper

That review was on Amazon I just copied and pasted it in here for him b/c I saw they were both from Maine.

#6077406 - 12/07/17 10:19 AM Re: Pellet stove finaly quit [Re: Bruce T]
OhioBoy Offline
trapper

Neat stove. Some day I will have a big old pot belly stove like that. Ever seen Burts Bee's documentary on Netflix? He has an old pot belly stove and that's what I want. Done up fancy would be neat.