No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Goodman banner
(Please support Joe Goodman because of his support for us)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#6076906 - 12/06/17 08:58 PM Coyote population east/west
herekittykitty Offline
trapper

Loc: Utah
I have heard it's easier for the western guys to put up big coyote numbers when compared to eastern guys. Today I read an article about coyotes in PA. In this article it said hunters/trappers killed 40,000 coyotes last year. Here in Utah we have had a $50 bounty for the last few years and have checked in between 6000-8000 coyotes per year. We do have hundreds of thousands of acres of public land to hunt/trap but it seems to me if you eastern guys are able to kill 40,000 coyotes a year it must be easier to put up big numbers in the east??? I know there are guys who have trapped both and maybe they could shed some light but it would appear at least in PA you have far more coyotes than we do "out west".

#6076909 - 12/06/17 09:00 PM Re: Coyote population east/west [Re: herekittykitty]
Posco Online   content
trapper

Loc: Maine, Aroostook
I'm up to my ears in coyotes but I haven't targeted them yet. They did flip some of my cat sets.

#6076955 - 12/06/17 09:38 PM Re: Coyote population east/west [Re: herekittykitty]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

Loc: Central, SD
That 6-8,000 are most likely out of prime yotes because they sell for more then $50 when prime I would guess, the fur market pays better. If I had a mangy one I'd turn it in for bounty then.

Jerry Herbst

#6076966 - 12/06/17 09:45 PM Re: Coyote population east/west [Re: herekittykitty]
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper

Loc: sometimes PA sometimes ME
Originally Posted By: herekittykitty
I have heard it's easier for the western guys to put up big coyote numbers when compared to eastern guys. Today I read an article about coyotes in PA. In this article it said hunters/trappers killed 40,000 coyotes last year. Here in Utah we have had a $50 bounty for the last few years and have checked in between 6000-8000 coyotes per year. We do have hundreds of thousands of acres of public land to hunt/trap but it seems to me if you eastern guys are able to kill 40,000 coyotes a year it must be easier to put up big numbers in the east??? I know there are guys who have trapped both and maybe they could shed some light but it would appear at least in PA you have far more coyotes than we do "out west".

I say the PA Game Commission puts out fake news.

#6076969 - 12/06/17 09:47 PM Re: Coyote population east/west [Re: Law Dog]
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Law Dog
That 6-8,000 are most likely out of prime yotes because they sell for more then $50 when prime I would guess, the fur market pays better. If I had a mangy one I'd turn it in for bounty then.

I think they can collect the bounty and sell the fur. I think they remove an ear or something. In PA when we bountied fox they split an ear.

#6076988 - 12/06/17 10:04 PM Re: Coyote population east/west [Re: herekittykitty]
Dirty D Offline
trapper

Loc: east central WI
I think logically that the east has much better habitat.
How many coyotes can live in 1000 acres of desert scrub vs 1000 acres of forest, marsh and brush.
much more bio mass in the east.
No contest, east has best habitat.

#6076990 - 12/06/17 10:06 PM Re: Coyote population east/west [Re: herekittykitty]
DezertTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Desert Southwest-CA
40,000? Is that accurate?

#6076991 - 12/06/17 10:07 PM Re: Coyote population east/west [Re: Dirty D]
DezertTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Desert Southwest-CA
Originally Posted By: Dirty D
How many coyotes can live in 1000 acres of desert scrub vs 1000 acres of forest, marsh and brush.

You'd be amazed...

#6077012 - 12/06/17 10:32 PM Re: Coyote population east/west [Re: herekittykitty]
Lockjaw52 Offline
trapper

Loc: Utah
I agree with Here Kitty. With our check laws and coyote population it would be nearly impossible to put up the numbers that some guys in the mid western and eastern states do. The DWR just splits the ears to document that the bounty has been paid, so the fur can be sold. The lower jaw is also required to collect the bounty.

#6077147 - 12/07/17 06:13 AM Re: Coyote population east/west [Re: herekittykitty]
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper

Loc: Rodney,Ohio
Land access and food availability is one of the main differences.

#6077217 - 12/07/17 07:29 AM Re: Coyote population east/west [Re: herekittykitty]
Randy Shuff Offline
trapper

Loc: Idaho
They can collect the bounty, then sell the fur.

#6077239 - 12/07/17 07:51 AM Re: Coyote population east/west [Re: herekittykitty]
Posco Online   content
trapper

Loc: Maine, Aroostook
I know a gal that just moved here to northern Maine to live off-the-grid. She claims she heard a commotion outside her cabin a couple of weeks back so she grabbed her flashlight and handgun and went outside to investigate. Her claim is that she shined no less than twenty sets of coyote eyes.

She's new her and I didn't want to question her veracity or estimation skills but I told her I've never heard of a pack so large. She is sticking to her story. It's not at all uncommon to hear two or three packs open up singing just before dark. They are omnipresent up here.

#6077255 - 12/07/17 08:06 AM Re: Coyote population east/west [Re: DezertTrapper]
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: DezertTrapper
40,000? Is that accurate?

I say the PA Game Commission puts out fake news. In round numbers, they estimate 70,000 coyote hunters/trappers. Then they send out harvest report cards to about 10% of the trappers/hunters. A few people report (about 3000). They use some fake math to compute the harvest. Then they put out the fake harvest numbers. You can read all about it here: PA Game COMM. Fake News

Edited by ebsurveyor (12/07/17 08:13 AM)

#6077270 - 12/07/17 08:17 AM Re: Coyote population east/west [Re: Dirty D]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

Loc: Central, SD

You ever been to the desert in the West I would guess not Arizona deserts are teaming with wildlife!

Jerry Herbst

#6077309 - 12/07/17 08:50 AM Re: Coyote population east/west [Re: Dirty D]
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper

Not many can scrape out a living in this Eastern Forest:

#6077407 - 12/07/17 10:19 AM Re: Coyote population east/west [Re: herekittykitty]
l1ranger Offline
trapper

Loc: Shenandoah County, VA
I'd say, don't get lost in the numbers - the bounty numbers can be easily counted, but how many are not bountied?

I read the same pennsylvania article - but recent studies in VA, conservatively estimate 50,000 as the total population here.
neither really have a good way to know.

i have seen an increase in the number of hunters, and coyote hunting competitions in the last couple of years, which could account for high numbers, and a more accurate count, if those numbers are turned over to the states.
look at ebsurveyors info - pretty good stuff there that explains it (really good stuff if you like math smile )

#6077489 - 12/07/17 11:26 AM Re: Coyote population east/west [Re: herekittykitty]
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Idaho Falls, ID
The most I heard anybody trapping in one season in PA was the late Darin Freebourough and it was 40 plus. The next numbers where in the 20ís and these where really good trappers. I imagine some have trapped more. Pa also has a 36 hr. check. However, with that said, Pa also sells about 40,000 furtaker licences per year. If one hunter/trapper would kill one coyote that of course amounts to 40,000 coyotes per year. Also, in PA for most of the year, you only need a general license and not a furtakers license to hunt coyotes. On top of all this PA has 30,000 trappers more than any other state. I would say that a 40,000 number is duable.

#6077510 - 12/07/17 11:44 AM Re: Coyote population east/west [Re: Grandpa Trapper]
whartonrattrappe Offline
trapper

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: Grandpa Trapper
The most I heard anybody trapping in one season in PA was the late Darin Freebourough and it was 40 plus. The next numbers where in the 20ís and these where really good trappers. I imagine some have trapped more. Pa also has a 36 hr. check. However, with that said, Pa also sells about 40,000 furtaker licences per year. If one hunter/trapper would kill one coyote that of course amounts to 40,000 coyotes per year. Also, in PA for most of the year, you only need a general license and not a furtakers license to hunt coyotes. On top of all this PA has 30,000 trappers more than any other state. I would say that a 40,000 number is duable.

Then you must not have known this guy.
https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads...._Di#Post6069810

#6077531 - 12/07/17 12:09 PM Re: Coyote population east/west [Re: herekittykitty]
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper

Loc: Pa
If the District fur sales are any indicator,
and we are taking 40k coyotes,
our coon take is in the millions.

Come on over guys, a silky behind every third tree smile

#6077599 - 12/07/17 01:08 PM Re: Coyote population east/west [Re: herekittykitty]
Larry Baer Offline
trapper

Loc: Peoria County Illinois
I have been to several western states and live in Illinois. Kansas has about the same number we have here. Wyoming and Montana - no contest - Illinois has way more coyotes. The difference is that I have to get permission to trap here. Not everyone will give me permission so I am limited to small farms and odds and ends piece of property. In Montana or Wyoming I can trap a whole forest or BLM Land. One guy I visited with mot too long ago puts out a horse or cow and sets an average of 30 snares around it. He comes back ''every once in a while'' to pick up coyotes. In Illinois I have to check traps and remove the catch once each calendar day. This scares off the game. Dead cows and horses are ''disposed of'' for a fee. I can only trap what I can handle each day where as the guy I visited with can have several trap lines out for hundreds of miles and make the numbers that way. Can't do that in any Eastern states I know of. Some guys in Illinois catch 100.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >