No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Goodman banner
(Please support Joe Goodman because of his support for us)

Topic Options
Hop to:
#6077331 - 12/07/17 09:05 AM HELP- making a trap pan tester.
trapre Offline
trapper

Loc: state college, PA
Has anyone made a pan tester before?
How do I do it?
Is it cheaper just to buy one from F&T?

I have ideas but you may have better/different ones.

If anything I'm doing it just for fun.

#6077345 - 12/07/17 09:12 AM Re: HELP- making a trap pan tester. [Re: trapre]
wetdog Offline
trapper

Loc: perry co.Pa
I just use a hammer of the weight I want but the tension goes up a little after they are treated

#6077349 - 12/07/17 09:16 AM Re: HELP- making a trap pan tester. [Re: trapre]
Scuba1 Offline
"Euro-Redneck"

Loc: On a Boat

NO you can't borrow mine

#6077356 - 12/07/17 09:29 AM Re: HELP- making a trap pan tester. [Re: trapre]
LeviSS Offline
trapper

Loc: Central IL
Just buy one.

#6077359 - 12/07/17 09:30 AM Re: HELP- making a trap pan tester. [Re: trapre]
Ditchdiver Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan
IS THAT YOUR HAND, SCUBA?!?!? OUCHIEE! Looks like you need a little more pan tension. Better test one more time eek

#6077362 - 12/07/17 09:31 AM Re: HELP- making a trap pan tester. [Re: Scuba1]
trapre Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Scuba1

NO you can't borrow mine
lol, ouch, shocked that had to hurt. eek

#6077364 - 12/07/17 09:31 AM Re: HELP- making a trap pan tester. [Re: trapre]
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"

Loc: Idaho
With my wolf gear, I'm generally using 12-14 lbs pan tension. As far as I know, there are still no commercially-available trap testers that go up that high. I don't have a photo, but will try to get that done and posted within the next couple of days. It's pretty simple and works great. I have made a plywood base that will contain either MB750s or No. 7 LPCs to keep them from sliding around. The trap sits on the plywood and has a hole through the plywood under the pan. I've built a three-pronged (single actually works well and is simpler) "probe" that comes up from underneath the board and through the plywood and hits the pan in three places, putting even pressure throughout. The part of the probe that is underneath the plywood is bent like a j-hook, and I simply hook on a Cabela's spring scale (fish scale) and can pull down on that until the trap fires. Sounds complicated, but is simple, cheap, and works well, even at the extreme pressures I'm looking for.

Clear as mud?

Jack

#6077367 - 12/07/17 09:37 AM Re: HELP- making a trap pan tester. [Re: Gulo]
trapre Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Gulo
With my wolf gear, I'm generally using 12-14 lbs pan tension. As far as I know, there are still no commercially-available trap testers that go up that high. I don't have a photo, but will try to get that done and posted within the next couple of days. It's pretty simple and works great. I have made a plywood base that will contain either MB750s or No. 7 LPCs to keep them from sliding around. The trap sits on the plywood and has a hole through the plywood under the pan. I've built a three-pronged (single actually works well and is simpler) "probe" that comes up from underneath the board and through the plywood and hits the pan in three places, putting even pressure throughout. The part of the probe that is underneath the plywood is bent like a j-hook, and I simply hook on a Cabela's spring scale (fish scale) and can pull down on that until the trap fires. Sounds complicated, but is simple, cheap, and works well, even at the extreme pressures I'm looking for.

Clear as mud?

Jack
I got ya. That sounds like a good idea. I hadn't thought about something like that. I'm not going to pressures that high but I don't see how it wouldn't work for a smaller trap.

#6077381 - 12/07/17 09:55 AM Re: HELP- making a trap pan tester. [Re: trapre]
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"

Loc: Idaho
trapre...

Yeah, pretty simple. I should have mentioned that the "probe" is simply a 10-12" piece of bent 9-gauge wire. I've also designed a chain/hook system that I use to keep the jaws from closing so I don't need to continually re-set the trap each time it's fired. It's even simpler. I've got other business to attend to all morning, but will try to post a photo late this afternoon. Glad this may be useful to you, and yes, it does work well on my coyote gear at 4 lbs pressure.

Jack

#6077383 - 12/07/17 09:57 AM Re: HELP- making a trap pan tester. [Re: trapre]
trapre Offline
trapper

Cool, when I see the pic I might even start making it. Thank you for the info!

#6077907 - 12/07/17 06:01 PM Re: HELP- making a trap pan tester. [Re: Ditchdiver]
Scuba1 Offline
"Euro-Redneck"

Loc: On a Boat
Originally Posted By: Ditchdiver
IS THAT YOUR HAND, SCUBA?!?!? OUCHIEE! Looks like you need a little more pan tension. Better test one more time eek

I did that with a table saw a couple of weeks back and thats what it looks like after some healing. Right now the index finder is good for randomly pointing at crap and not much else but it ain't hurting as bad as it looks.

#6077967 - 12/07/17 06:46 PM Re: HELP- making a trap pan tester. [Re: trapre]
dustytinner Offline
trapper

Loc: Money Creek, MN
I use them little one hand dumbbells you see people walking with. They are coated with a sponge/rubbery material. You can buy them cheap and they are really close in size to the trap pan. 2,3,4,5 lb.

#6077997 - 12/07/17 07:09 PM Re: HELP- making a trap pan tester. [Re: trapre]
trapre Offline
trapper

I know too many people who take a chop at their hand via table saw. eek