Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Topic Options
Hop to:
#6077979 - 12/07/17 06:55 PM Mud pushing beaver
kytrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Kentucky
A group of us trapped in western Kentucky this past week and I ran into a problem I don't see here in our rocky type creeks. Some of the guys made small dam breaks in the mud and reed habitat and the beaver pushed up mud like a bulldozer probably starting quite a ways out from the dam and plugged the traps and buried them. You guys that have seen this what's the solution? Move the trap out further? Not a lot of set locations away from the dams or unable to access. Appreciate any suggestions.

#6077985 - 12/07/17 07:03 PM Re: Mud pushing beaver [Re: kytrapper]
Nessmuck Online   content
trapper

Loc: New Hampshire
You using foot hold or Conis ? .....with a dam break,they are coming in to make repairs. Set up on the down side of the slide ....or make some fake pullouts with your boots and set them with some fresh Poplar ....then make some castor mound sets on each end of the dam

#6077989 - 12/07/17 07:04 PM Re: Mud pushing beaver [Re: kytrapper]
Happy Birthday traprjohn Offline
trapper

Loc: Central NC
Breasting sticks...if using footholds...like in Pauls video Beaver Sites and Sets.
They gota stay in place when they hit them with their chests, making beaver drop his front feet right into the trap.
Used all the time here or we'd not catch so many.
Dam break set is not a good place for a 330, IME.

#6078027 - 12/07/17 07:26 PM Re: Mud pushing beaver [Re: kytrapper]
Teacher Offline
trapper

Loc: Rochester, MN
We set both top and bottoms of the dam crossovers with 280s or 330s. You can make your own crawl-out locations with a shovel and plaster a mound with castor and leaves. I donít generally damage a dam to get them moving. Just set the cross overs and wait them out.

#6078043 - 12/07/17 07:36 PM Re: Mud pushing beaver [Re: traprjohn]
bctomcat Online   content
trapper

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC Can
Originally Posted By: traprjohn

Dam break set is not a good place for a 330, IME.
Agree, foothold and breasting stick is the only way to go with a dam break set.

#6078084 - 12/07/17 07:56 PM Re: Mud pushing beaver [Re: kytrapper]
trapperman222 Offline
trapper

Loc: mn
^^^^^^^^^^^this ^^^^^^^ the best way ive found after hundreds of beav.

#6078122 - 12/07/17 08:34 PM Re: Mud pushing beaver [Re: kytrapper]
Paul Dobbins Online   content
"Trapperman custodian"

Loc: Goldsboro, North Carolina
If the beavers are pushing mud to patch the hole in the dam, then the break isn't deep enough. With a sufficient flow of water the mud will not patch the hole. The beaver has to bring sticks first to the break. Once it has placed sticks in the break, it can then bring mud/leaves to patch it the rest of the way.

Where there's a large water impoundment, you can make the break most any time of the day. If there isn't a big impoundment, the break needs to be made late in the day. This way the water level will not drop to the point that there is just a small amount of water going through the break. If that happens, the beaver will bring mud/leaves to patch.

I like this set and use only footholds in front of the break.

#6078562 - 12/08/17 09:53 AM Re: Mud pushing beaver [Re: kytrapper]
Boy Named Sue Offline
trapper

Loc: South Alabama
I was taught to protect the pond side of my trap with a wrist size stick shoved vertically, deep in to the mud and just above the water level with the traps dog to the stick. And directly in line with the brake. This made a big difference in my catches and misses.

#6078847 - 12/08/17 03:31 PM Re: Mud pushing beaver [Re: kytrapper]
Boco Online   content
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
I catch tons of beaver at dam breaks with 330's,lots of times two or three at a time.If you set too shallow(too close to the dam break)they will plug your trap with sticks.The trick is to set out in front of the break in deeper water,a couple feet deep with fencing(or multiple traps).You will catch them both coming and going with this set.

A great set for extended checks,set keeps working after a catch or two.

#6078855 - 12/08/17 03:38 PM Re: Mud pushing beaver [Re: kytrapper]
kytrapper Offline
trapper

That's kind of what I was thinking Boco. The area we were n had very shallow ponds behind the dams. No one brought footholds and I checked with a guy one day and they had absolutely buried his 330's. I'm sure the above posters are correct using footholds. We managed to catch 185 last week in a joint effort. We were trying to help some landowners that were having various problems. I have a few pictures up on our website www.kentuckytrappers.com.

#6079783 - 12/09/17 12:52 PM Re: Mud pushing beaver [Re: kytrapper]
Catcherman Offline
trapper

Loc: Mississippi
I have tried to look at the pictures, but can't find them.

#6079796 - 12/09/17 12:59 PM Re: Mud pushing beaver [Re: kytrapper]
kytrapper Offline
trapper

Go to the bulletin board and the post is "beaver quest" . It will also be a segment on Kentucky Afield television tonight or will be on their web page maybe tomorrow. We had a great time but most of us 50 plus guys were flat worn out.

#6079945 - 12/09/17 03:48 PM Re: Mud pushing beaver [Re: kytrapper]
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
Whenever the opportunity presents itself, a set that hasn't let me down has been to set a 330 perpendicular to the dam. I've always done this with a standing tree or snag in front of the dam. I set between the dam and obstruction and then break the dam on both sides of the trap 5-10 feet from the trap. It creates a situation that they swim to one, repair, and then need to travel to the other. My trap is ALWAYS either blended or submerged, and their option is to swim through the trap or go all the way around the trap, tree, and whatever fencing was used (usually part of the blending).

A trapper may be able to use their imagination to create something that works as the tree, but I haven't yet. Either it's there for me naturally, or I just don't make that set. Due to what has to occur for this to happen, the majority of dams don't have these trees in my experience, but enough of them do to remember the set for the ones that do.

#6079978 - 12/09/17 04:26 PM Re: Mud pushing beaver [Re: kytrapper]
kytrapper Offline
trapper

I like that set too.

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie