ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: getting schooled by attic squirrels - HELP!!! [Re: Traps R Us] #6071452
12/02/17 03:07 AM
12/02/17 03:07 AM
Desert Southwest-CA
DezertTrapper Offline
trapper
DezertTrapper  Offline
trapper

Desert Southwest-CA
Have you considered that they may have a healthy food stash, and don't care about what baits you're leaving for them? Is there any way to block them indoors so they can't get to their stashes? If they get hungry enough...

Thought of this because of our ground squirrels here. In the early spring, when there's green stuff everywhere for them to eat, they're almost impossible to trap. Once things start to dry out, WHAM. They'll enter anything to get food to eat and cache.

Member NTA
Member NRA
Platinum Member: School of Hard Knocks
Re: getting schooled by attic squirrels - HELP!!! [Re: Traps R Us] #6072421
12/03/17 03:46 AM
12/03/17 03:46 AM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline
trapper
Muddawg  Offline
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Originally Posted By: Uwe
Very clever Muddawg!

Thank you, Uwe. But I've learned that in this business you're always having to up your game.

Muddawg
Re: getting schooled by attic squirrels - HELP!!! [Re: DezertTrapper] #6072649
12/03/17 10:35 AM
12/03/17 10:35 AM
Wisconsin, USA
Traps R Us Offline OP
trapper
Traps R Us  Offline OP
trapper

Wisconsin, USA
good point dezert trapper, that seems to be one of the issues here, they were not interested in any of the baits, no matter what. exception of the one I got on a black walnut. They were in the attic of a tall 2-story house and chewed a large opening at one corner of the roof. I am not set up to climb around on a roof like that, so no good way for me to block them from the outside. frown

Re: getting schooled by attic squirrels - HELP!!! [Re: Traps R Us] #6073994
12/04/17 02:27 PM
12/04/17 02:27 PM
Desert Southwest-CA
DezertTrapper Offline
trapper
DezertTrapper  Offline
trapper

Desert Southwest-CA
good point dezert trapper, that seems to be one of the issues here, they were not interested in any of the baits, no matter what. exception of the one I got on a black walnut. They were in the attic of a tall 2-story house and chewed a large opening at one corner of the roof. I am not set up to climb around on a roof like that, so no good way for me to block them from the outside. frown

With our demon squirrels here, I have to change baits several times per season, based on their activity for that specific time of year-AT THAT LOCATION. One bait doesn't fix all for our guys (I wish it did!) For me: Are they just out, and eating post-hibernation? What is available? Or, are they looking for food simply to nibble, and cache? Did they have a lot of green to eat in spring, or was it a dry winter? If they didn't have sufficient green forage, have they switched preferences to finding seeds for carbs? If a residence-have they been after fruit trees? If so, what fruit? I often don't use the same bait in the same place twice in a day, I sometimes have to dial down to what they want "right now." Once I get them dialed in, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Until then, they can be a test of my patience (and my gas bill) Maybe a whole walnut is like gold right now, at other times, not so important? If you crack that walnut a bit, to increase the odor of the meat, might that be what they can't resist?

Good luck!

Member NTA
Member NRA
Re: getting schooled by attic squirrels - HELP!!! [Re: Traps R Us] #6076301
12/06/17 12:35 PM
12/06/17 12:35 PM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
It's a squirrel, don't over think things. Catch them coming or going.

Re: getting schooled by attic squirrels - HELP!!! [Re: Traps R Us] #6077024
12/07/17 01:06 AM
12/07/17 01:06 AM
Desert Southwest-CA
DezertTrapper Offline
trapper
DezertTrapper  Offline
trapper

Desert Southwest-CA
I wish I didn't have to keep changing my game-but an invasive species is a real PITA to deal with.

Member NTA
Member NRA
Re: getting schooled by attic squirrels - HELP!!! [Re: Traps R Us] #6077037
12/07/17 01:28 AM
12/07/17 01:28 AM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
a tall 2-story house and chewed a large opening at one corner of the roof. I am not set up to climb around on a roof like that, so no good way for me to block them from the outside. frown

This is actually the problem in this particular job. Trapping inside is almost never effective, as you are entering into their domain. They know every inch of that interior, and being very neophobic, will typically avoid traps inside for a week or longer, regardless of bait.

I rarely even enter an attic on the initial visit, as it can spook the squirrels away for a few days due to the invasion. Of course I check for wiring damage and insulation damage, but only after the trapping/removal is completed.

Setting very near the entry hole (outside) is the key to catching the resident squirrels. Either open, baited sets or multi-catch posi-sets over the hole... or a combination. Personally, I won't install a one-way door (trap or escape) until catching the first few squirrels (a day or two) as it often causes them to chew a new hole (in OR out). But everyone has a different method, so do what works. I also haven't used more than one or two body-grip traps in the past 10 years for squirrels. I can be just as effective using cage traps with good bait and lure, or posi-sets.

Working on a squirrel job right now on a huge lake house, and of course they are entering 3-stories high on the downhill side of the home. Had to park my towable boom lift below the hole and leave it there during the trapping program (and for repairs). Homeowners don't care at all, as they've been fighting these squirrels for months. As in every type of wildlife control, being able to access the issue is the first priority.

Ron Scheller

Re: getting schooled by attic squirrels - HELP!!! [Re: Traps R Us] #6081976
12/11/17 09:53 AM
12/11/17 09:53 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: getting schooled by attic squirrels - HELP!!! [Re: Traps R Us] #6082708
12/11/17 10:10 PM
12/11/17 10:10 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Took a couple pics at the squirrel job today. 3 stories high, 6-foot overhang on the soffit. No safe way to use a ladder, and I'm not hanging over with a rope. I bought this towable lift 10 years ago, and it has been the best investment ever for my wildlife control business. I do a ton of jobs everyone else walks away from.

Homeowners are fine with me leaving in place until the squirrels are trapped and repairs made. I'll also trim the tree branches away from the home, all from this single set-up.

Ron Scheller

Re: getting schooled by attic squirrels - HELP!!! [Re: Traps R Us] #6083113
12/12/17 10:46 AM
12/12/17 10:46 AM
Wisconsin, USA
Traps R Us Offline OP
trapper
Traps R Us  Offline OP
trapper

Wisconsin, USA
That's very nice!

Re: getting schooled by attic squirrels - HELP!!! [Re: Traps R Us] #6083138
12/12/17 11:23 AM
12/12/17 11:23 AM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
Ron, how tall is your lift?

Re: getting schooled by attic squirrels - HELP!!! [Re: Traps R Us] #6083459
12/12/17 06:32 PM
12/12/17 06:32 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Platform about 35 feet, so work height around 40. Looking into purchasing a newer one, and leaning toward the Niftylift TM-40. It has a 40-foot platform height, so work height of 46 feet. The 50's (any brand) are a bit too big and heavy for many residential lawns and landscapes. On the bigger jobs, I rent the big lifts anyway. Figuring out what is actually NEEDED and not WANTED is important if someone is planning to buy one.

Ron Scheller

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread