ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Hop to:
#6132781 - 01/21/18 02:05 AM Re: problem coon [Re: bob pake]
DezertTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Desert Southwest-CA
Strobe them out, using a one-way. If you've got indoor access to the attic, it might work-unless it's just too cold for them to move right now-or you can't get light into the entire area.

#6137440 - 01/25/18 05:51 AM Re: problem coon [Re: bob pake]
Kurt in Va Offline
trapper

Loc: Virginia
Did it finally come together for you and you got the SOB?

#6137876 - 01/25/18 02:20 PM Re: problem coon [Re: Kurt in Va]
bob pake Offline
trapper

Loc: southern ont. canada
Kurt it did not all come together. The last kick at the can for me was to watch the trail camera closely. I was able to find the exact rout the coons wanted to travel in the attic. I buried a sheet of plywood with two coils with extra swiveling , then re created the shallow trench that they traveled. Six days later + camera and nothing. I think I was trying to catch animals that were not present at this time.
Some one had asked miles and pricing . About 15 miles one way. Initially the home owners were to be billed for three animals captured , that had nothing to do with the attic problem . pest proofing + installing a one way door. And nothing for my time.
The coons would not use the one way, but would push through the flimsy hardware cloth boxing it in. I am told the CO. will bite the bullet for most of the expenses but not the pest proofing.
This is the worst coon experience ever. ( Wow should have never posted this one )
I have had 2 coons in the past that took me to school every bit as bad as this one. The first was a summer animal a under sized barren female that I believe spent most of it's life as a abused pet . The next was also a attic pest . I had it blocked in with one cage facing in the other facing out. It would take a feat of strength to move the cages even a little. It moved the cages.
It seems that there are two adc people . Those that can slap a 220 over a exit and those that expect no kill no foot capture. Two completely different skill sets.
Thanks for the help

#6138061 - 01/25/18 05:48 PM Re: problem coon [Re: bob pake]
MChewk Online   content
trapper

Loc: Northern Illinois
Don't feel bad Bob...most of us have also experienced the exasperation of stubborn coon. I had one that took me 3 months to catch...another trapper screwed up and then I got a call....should have turned them down.
But I learned a bunch...humility being some of that "bunch"
Good luck

#6138870 - 01/26/18 11:09 AM Re: problem coon [Re: bob pake]
iayogi17 Offline
trapper

Loc: N Central Iowa. 40yrs
I'm some what new to this business but to me it sounds like you took more of a trapper/fur harvester approach to this problem then a nuisance operator.

#6138928 - 01/26/18 12:06 PM Re: problem coon [Re: iayogi17]
bob pake Offline
trapper

Loc: southern ont. canada
Iayogi - The normal adc operator techniques that we favor had been tried long before I showed up. The co. relaxed the no kill no foot hold on this job. They still would be very up set if a neighbor called in with a visible animal in a 220 or leg hold. As frustration grew I slowly gravitated to the more aggressive methods.
I think a 220 over the exit is as simple and efficient as it gets. ( I will tell on myself a bit. Why stop now )While laying in the snow working up hill installing a 220 I could not get it stabilized quite the way I wanted. I ended up putting my hand in the trap. I reefed my hand out and kept on working. Much later that evening I had a queezy feeling in the pit of my gut. If I didn't get a bone crushing jolt from the trap neither would the coon. I envisioned massive roof damage. That ended my 220 ing

#6138951 - 01/26/18 12:33 PM Re: problem coon [Re: bob pake]
TRapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Central IA
If u are a trapper in Iowa like iayogi and i are...we have killed a few hundred coons in 220s. To be honest though i would opt for the square 5 x 5 made by rbg with the 160 springs. That trap will kill biggest of coons with very lil movement made by dying coon. Perfect over a hole in a house

#6139558 - 01/27/18 05:56 AM Re: problem coon [Re: bob pake]
TDHP Offline
trapper

Loc: Massachusetts
We've all been there, maybe not to that extent, but we've all had problem critters. Anyone who denies that is just kidding themselves. If there's a perfect Tech out there, I sure would like to meet them. Should have, could have, would have always starts to race through the mind on these jobs. Better luck on the next one.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3