ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: problem coon [Re: bob pake] #6132781
01/21/18 04:05 AM
01/21/18 04:05 AM
Desert Southwest-CA
DezertTrapper Offline
trapper
DezertTrapper  Offline
trapper

Desert Southwest-CA
Strobe them out, using a one-way. If you've got indoor access to the attic, it might work-unless it's just too cold for them to move right now-or you can't get light into the entire area.

Member NTA
Member NRA
Platinum Member: School of Hard Knocks
Re: problem coon [Re: bob pake] #6137440
01/25/18 07:51 AM
01/25/18 07:51 AM
Virginia
K
Kurt in Va Offline
trapper
Kurt in Va  Offline
trapper
K

Virginia
Did it finally come together for you and you got the SOB?

Re: problem coon [Re: Kurt in Va] #6137876
01/25/18 04:20 PM
01/25/18 04:20 PM
southern ont. canada
B
bob pake Offline OP
trapper
bob pake  Offline OP
trapper
B

southern ont. canada
Kurt it did not all come together. The last kick at the can for me was to watch the trail camera closely. I was able to find the exact rout the coons wanted to travel in the attic. I buried a sheet of plywood with two coils with extra swiveling , then re created the shallow trench that they traveled. Six days later + camera and nothing. I think I was trying to catch animals that were not present at this time.
Some one had asked miles and pricing . About 15 miles one way. Initially the home owners were to be billed for three animals captured , that had nothing to do with the attic problem . pest proofing + installing a one way door. And nothing for my time.
The coons would not use the one way, but would push through the flimsy hardware cloth boxing it in. I am told the CO. will bite the bullet for most of the expenses but not the pest proofing.
This is the worst coon experience ever. ( Wow should have never posted this one )
I have had 2 coons in the past that took me to school every bit as bad as this one. The first was a summer animal a under sized barren female that I believe spent most of it's life as a abused pet . The next was also a attic pest . I had it blocked in with one cage facing in the other facing out. It would take a feat of strength to move the cages even a little. It moved the cages.
It seems that there are two adc people . Those that can slap a 220 over a exit and those that expect no kill no foot capture. Two completely different skill sets.
Thanks for the help

Re: problem coon [Re: bob pake] #6138061
01/25/18 07:48 PM
01/25/18 07:48 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Don't feel bad Bob...most of us have also experienced the exasperation of stubborn coon. I had one that took me 3 months to catch...another trapper screwed up and then I got a call....should have turned them down.
But I learned a bunch...humility being some of that "bunch"
Good luck

Re: problem coon [Re: bob pake] #6138870
01/26/18 01:09 PM
01/26/18 01:09 PM
N Central Iowa 40+
iayogi17 Offline
trapper
iayogi17  Offline
trapper

N Central Iowa 40+
I'm some what new to this business but to me it sounds like you took more of a trapper/fur harvester approach to this problem then a nuisance operator.

Brad Mohr
Re: problem coon [Re: iayogi17] #6138928
01/26/18 02:06 PM
01/26/18 02:06 PM
southern ont. canada
B
bob pake Offline OP
trapper
bob pake  Offline OP
trapper
B

southern ont. canada
Iayogi - The normal adc operator techniques that we favor had been tried long before I showed up. The co. relaxed the no kill no foot hold on this job. They still would be very up set if a neighbor called in with a visible animal in a 220 or leg hold. As frustration grew I slowly gravitated to the more aggressive methods.
I think a 220 over the exit is as simple and efficient as it gets. ( I will tell on myself a bit. Why stop now )While laying in the snow working up hill installing a 220 I could not get it stabilized quite the way I wanted. I ended up putting my hand in the trap. I reefed my hand out and kept on working. Much later that evening I had a queezy feeling in the pit of my gut. If I didn't get a bone crushing jolt from the trap neither would the coon. I envisioned massive roof damage. That ended my 220 ing

Re: problem coon [Re: bob pake] #6138951
01/26/18 02:33 PM
01/26/18 02:33 PM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
If u are a trapper in Iowa like iayogi and i are...we have killed a few hundred coons in 220s. To be honest though i would opt for the square 5 x 5 made by rbg with the 160 springs. That trap will kill biggest of coons with very lil movement made by dying coon. Perfect over a hole in a house

Re: problem coon [Re: bob pake] #6139558
01/27/18 07:56 AM
01/27/18 07:56 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
We've all been there, maybe not to that extent, but we've all had problem critters. Anyone who denies that is just kidding themselves. If there's a perfect Tech out there, I sure would like to meet them. Should have, could have, would have always starts to race through the mind on these jobs. Better luck on the next one.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread