Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
sack oil #6106736
12/30/17 11:40 PM
12/30/17 11:40 PM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline OP
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline OP
trapper
A

Fontana KS
I have saved beaver sack oil in a jar for my own use for several years. Today I was cleaning in the shed and noticed that it had separated into 3 distinct layers. The top layer is clear dark oil, the middle is a dark cream color, and the bottom is a lighter cream color. I am wandering if any of these layers is better than the other or if I should just shake it up and use as normal. I had never let it set long enough to do this before and hate to mix it if one layer is better than the rest.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Re: sack oil [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #6108645
01/01/18 10:28 AM
01/01/18 10:28 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Simply shake it up until it is one color again and it is as good as new. Beaver sac oil will stratify if left to sit un agitated for a period of time. That is just what it does. Many products of various weights and compositions will separate over weeks and months. Some lures and baits will do the same. Just shake or stir before use.

Re: sack oil [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #6109047
01/01/18 04:10 PM
01/01/18 04:10 PM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline OP
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline OP
trapper
A

Fontana KS
Thank you Bob, that is what I needed.