No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Disappointed in Vortex [Re: 30/06] #6110482
01/02/18 05:01 PM
01/02/18 05:01 PM
Western Wisconsin
T
TraderVic Offline
trapper
TraderVic  Offline
trapper
T

Western Wisconsin
I just retired from my own business. The problem with buying quality American made products is.......The vast majority of Americans want CHEAP.

Cheap this, cheap that, and so on. Everybody talks smart about making America great again - until they get their wallet out.

Can't tell you how many potential customers said "how much ? , I can get it cheaper at Walmart or "xyz". Many manufacturers have gone offshore to stay competitive, a.k.a. staying in business. I sold a quality product and it was "locally grown".

Re: Disappointed in Vortex [Re: hippie] #6110491
01/02/18 05:08 PM
01/02/18 05:08 PM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: hippie
No poop Sherlock, where did they get the technology?
I should say steal the technology.

Guessing, 75% of the stuff made in China is stolen tech. No respect for patents.

Everyone got the technology, at least originally, from Galileo, an Italian.

No doubt the Chinese rip off patented technology. That wasn't the point.

Enjoy your computer.

Sherlock

Re: Disappointed in Vortex [Re: Blaine County] #6110497
01/02/18 05:14 PM
01/02/18 05:14 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted By: Blaine County
No poop Sherlock, where did they get the technology?
I should say steal the technology.

Guessing, 75% of the stuff made in China is stolen tech. No respect for patents.

Everyone got the technology, at least originally, from Galileo, an Italian.

No doubt the Chinese rip off patented technology. That wasn't the point.

Enjoy your computer.

Sherlock

Do i have much choice?
Never said i could avoid it if you reread my post. I said we need to level the playing field.

Some people gonna cry? Yep, look at the post before yours. I also deal with the public and he's 100% correct, the customer usually, not all the time as some want better stuff on their vehicle in my case, but most want cheap and our fine gov't has fostered this for way too long.

Re: Disappointed in Vortex [Re: hippie] #6110516
01/02/18 05:29 PM
01/02/18 05:29 PM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

Do i have much choice?
Never said i could avoid it if you reread my post. I said we need to level the playing field.

Some people gonna cry? Yep, look at the post before yours. I also deal with the public and he's 100% correct, the customer usually, not all the time as some want better stuff on their vehicle in my case, but most want cheap and our fine gov't has fostered this for way too long.

Wait. Are you selling Chinese products for vehicles?

You have choices.

Re: Disappointed in Vortex [Re: 30/06] #6110527
01/02/18 05:35 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
Reminds me of the song lyrics " my transistor radio comes from far away" made in Japan

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Re: Disappointed in Vortex [Re: 30/06] #6110529
Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper
RiversNorth13  Offline
trapper

Gitche Gumee Wisconsin

If everyone was a millionaire they all would buy high end , but not everyone is a millionaire.
People know things they buy are not high end, but it works for the money spent .
Good things can be had for cheaper if a person does good research.

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Re: Disappointed in Vortex [Re: Blaine County] #6110536
01/02/18 05:42 PM
01/02/18 05:42 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted By: Blaine County
Do i have much choice?

Wait. Are you selling Chinese products for vehicles?

You have choices.

Depends, which paragraph are you asking about?

Now i understand you, my dumbness.

Yes, from about every country you could amagine.

Engine bearings fron India, can you believe that? India for an American ebgine.

I've had enough of it and won't hold back on calling out our Gov't for allowing it.
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Last edited by hippie; 01/02/18 05:48 PM.
Re: Disappointed in Vortex [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6110565
01/02/18 05:58 PM
01/02/18 05:58 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Originally Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE
I have nikon and vortex stuff I like the vortex and got over the china thing because they have a great warrantee and seem good quality.

Vortex really does a nice job on the customer service end , I called there last week to ask questions before I ordered another scope , he was very helpful and I got to a person right away.

heck half of my "American" made car was made in china and assembled in Ontario.

I agree totally with you. IMO Vortex is way out in front of others because of service and warrantee hands down the best in the industry. Vortex also makes a top notch product also.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Disappointed in Vortex [Re: 30/06] #6110597
01/02/18 06:24 PM
01/02/18 06:24 PM
Alaska
H
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"
Hupurest  Offline
"Andy S wannabe"
H

Alaska
for the price you are looking at for Razor 10x50, $1,100

you can get a pair of Swarovski CL 10x30

https://www.amazon.com/Swarovski-Companion-10x30-Binocular-Tan/dp/B00556ZH70

the FOV will be smaller, but the glass in the Swaro is far superior to the vortex.

I have these in 10x and 8x as well as the EL 10x42.

I find myself taking the Cl more often than the El, because of compact size and weight. there is no difference in the glass or image quality between the two.....

for hours of sitting and glassing, the EL are more comfortable for me..

Vortex makes an ok product for the prices they sell them at. but, without the warranty, the binos would be 25% cheaper, because they build the cost of the "great warranty" into the price....

as for made in china, everything is exactly the same for the Razor line, except the location of the manufacturing.

while I am not impressed with the vortex glass or products, they do make a decent product that the average person can afford....

that said,
in the world of optics,
Good, great, top notch, clear, crisp, are NOT words id use describing any of the vortex line...
ok, economical, affordable, decent, meh, are more appropriate.

Originally Posted By: Malukchuk
I'll take wolves over idiots any day.
Re: Disappointed in Vortex [Re: RiversNorth13] #6110603
01/02/18 06:28 PM
01/02/18 06:28 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted By: RiversNorth13

If everyone was a millionaire they all would buy high end , but not everyone is a millionaire.
People know things they buy are not high end, but it works for the money spent .
Good things can be had for cheaper if a person does good research.

Very good points.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Disappointed in Vortex [Re: Hupurest] #6110633
01/02/18 06:55 PM
01/02/18 06:55 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
Originally Posted By: Hupurest
for the price you are looking at for Razor 10x50, $1,100

you can get a pair of Swarovski CL 10x30

https://www.amazon.com/Swarovski-Companion-10x30-Binocular-Tan/dp/B00556ZH70

the FOV will be smaller, but the glass in the Swaro is far superior to the vortex.

I have these in 10x and 8x as well as the EL 10x42.

I find myself taking the Cl more often than the El, because of compact size and weight. there is no difference in the glass or image quality between the two.....

for hours of sitting and glassing, the EL are more comfortable for me..

Vortex makes an ok product for the prices they sell them at. but, without the warranty, the binos would be 25% cheaper, because they build the cost of the "great warranty" into the price....

as for made in china, everything is exactly the same for the Razor line, except the location of the manufacturing.

while I am not impressed with the vortex glass or products, they do make a decent product that the average person can afford....

that said,
in the world of optics,
Good, great, top notch, clear, crisp, are NOT words id use describing any of the vortex line...
ok, economical, affordable, decent, meh, are more appropriate.

My only use for binoculars is to say "yup that's (insert species name here)" don't need to measure points or inches so "it works" is how I describe my binoculars. I don't buy into that use the most expensive stuff mentality. But like it's been said if you can afford it why not I suppose.

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Re: Disappointed in Vortex [Re: Hupurest] #6110637
01/02/18 06:59 PM
01/02/18 06:59 PM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
Well guys, as far as Vortex staying and investing in the USA I would like to point out a few things that I know firsthand.
1. They bought approximately 150 acres in the outskirts of the Village of Barneveld in Iowa County, Wisconsin.
2. They have invested over 20 million dollars in said facility. This includes corporate offices, warehouse facilities, machine shops, etc.
3. They are investing and building a day care center for the employee's children. Another million bucks.
4. They are building a shooting range (indoor and out) I don't have a price on that.

I know this because of my company's involvement in the project providing engineering and surveying services. That is about as much commitment to the good old USA as I have seen in awhile. I wish them the best.

Zim

Re: Disappointed in Vortex [Re: Ryan McLeod] #6110645
01/02/18 07:08 PM
01/02/18 07:08 PM
Western Illinois
#
#11 Offline
trapper
#11  Offline
trapper
#

Western Illinois
Check out Meopta Meopro. 8X42 HD can be found around $750. Assembled in New York from European parts. Meopta is a respected Czech company that has been quietly building great optical equipment since 1933. I use mine as much as 6 hours a day, 6 days a week for weeks at a time doing surveys for USFWS. Never any eyestrain. The 10X42 Meopro is slightly higher.

Re: Disappointed in Vortex [Re: 30/06] #6110669
01/02/18 07:26 PM
01/02/18 07:26 PM
Ashland, OH
TrapperT25 Offline
trapper
TrapperT25  Offline
trapper

Ashland, OH
I normally don't like to get into these topics but all I own optic wise is vortex and I have never had any issues with them and their customer service is outstanding. But working in the line of work I do you start to realize why companies go off shore to either produce or assemble their products. The bottom line is the customer. All customers want is price reduction after price reduction and if you want to keep the work you must move off shore. I'm sure vortex wants to produce their optics in the US but in order to get the price we pay NOW they probably had to move it off shore. I'd hate to see the prices we would pay if everything was made in the US. No one would be able to afford it.

I myself want to keep the parts that I produce in the US but I order for my company and I to keep the work I have no choice to outsource it to a foreign country

Trap Hard, Hunt Harder... Until the buck tags filled then trap harder!
Re: Disappointed in Vortex [Re: Zim] #6110697
01/02/18 07:42 PM
01/02/18 07:42 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Originally Posted By: Zim
Well guys, as far as Vortex staying and investing in the USA I would like to point out a few things that I know firsthand.
1. They bought approximately 150 acres in the outskirts of the Village of Barneveld in Iowa County, Wisconsin.
2. They have invested over 20 million dollars in said facility. This includes corporate offices, warehouse facilities, machine shops, etc.
3. They are investing and building a day care center for the employee's children. Another million bucks.
4. They are building a shooting range (indoor and out) I don't have a price on that.

I know this because of my company's involvement in the project providing engineering and surveying services. That is about as much commitment to the good old USA as I have seen in awhile. I wish them the best.

Zim

That is interesting and I also wish Vortex to succeed and do well.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Disappointed in Vortex [Re: 30/06] #6110786
01/02/18 08:41 PM
01/02/18 08:41 PM
VA
J
jackrock Offline
trapper
jackrock  Offline
trapper
J

VA
I have had a pair of Swift 10x binoculars for several years now. They were not all that expensive and I really like them. I have looked through other folks hunting binos and I always prefer the Swift.

Re: Disappointed in Vortex [Re: Zim] #6110789
01/02/18 08:43 PM
01/02/18 08:43 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted By: Zim

Zim

Excellent post Zim, If you want to see a razor scope being built right now, go to Middleton Wi. The guys at Vortex take a square piece of aluminum and turn it into a Razor scope, also they assemble the Vipers there. all will be moving to their new facility in Barneveld this spring. Their cheaper scopes etc. will still be built over seas.

Re: Disappointed in Vortex [Re: 30/06] #6110989
01/02/18 10:44 PM
01/02/18 10:44 PM
Morehead city NC
JakeDog Offline
trapper
JakeDog  Offline
trapper

Morehead city NC
If you can spend the money on Leica or swaros then sure there is no better and by all means that is the way to go. If I had t choose between vortex, bushnells or nikons? Be vortex. I always liked leupold stuff too and their customer service is awesome, lost turret cap for leupold scoops and had a new pair second day shipping without having to spend a dime, just made a phone call, lady asked my address I had my card in my hand to pay a fee and she said don't worry about it.

If I was gonna go after razors though or high end vortex then I'd go bit more like Hup said and get the swaros, I have like a 500$ pair of vortex? Can't remember the name of them? Talons? But they have been great and tough! I am hard on my stuff, not just hunting but in the kayak, saltwater dunking them? Dropping them over board? They have held up for three years now.

Got a good pair of older zeiss? Hardly use them anymore and they were more higher end?

Best of luck on the choice.

J

Last edited by JakeDog; 01/03/18 07:35 AM.

Suppression rules/prevention drools

Confidence is going fly fishing for Moby Dick, in a row boat, and bringing tartar sauce with you.
Re: Disappointed in Vortex [Re: 30/06] #6111035
01/02/18 11:18 PM
01/02/18 11:18 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
I have had many different makers of scopes spotting scopes, and bino etc. except Leica and swaros. I'm sure they are good so I can't judge for them. I use eye gear everyday of the year and IMO Vortex has been the best for wear and tear and warranty/service. I'm not saying some of the other brands that have been mentioned here are not good in those areas but Vortex has raised the bar and has done me a lot better then the competition.

Re: Disappointed in Vortex [Re: 30/06] #6111171
01/03/18 01:45 AM
01/03/18 01:45 AM
South Dakota
R
Rammer Offline
trapper
Rammer  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
I have a pair of Swarovski CLs and they are a pile of junk. Two times they have been back to Swarovski and been rebuilt. I haven’t taken them out of Box the second time. Would love to get my money back.

I have a pair of Zeiss conquests that have bounced on my dash hundreds of thousands of miles over ten years and are picture perfect glass yet. They have lots of battle scars and keep on ticking.

I bought the 400 dollar ish Zeiss a few years back, and they are still running strong.

My dad bought a pair of the vortex diamond backs a few years ago, and I’m impressed with them. I was so impressed I bought my wife a pair for Christmas this year when Cabela’s Ran em half off for Black Friday.

Just my .02 worth.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread