No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Texas laws and Lonestar Bobs #6125132
01/14/18 06:40 PM
01/14/18 06:40 PM
MI
M
MI Dirthole Offline OP
trapper
MI Dirthole  Offline OP
trapper
M

MI
In early March I am going to Texas with a friend and some of his family to hog hunt. I will be about an hour south of San Antonio on private land. I am hopeful that I could put in a few sets when I arrive and pull them when we leave a few days later. My target would be bobcat and coyote, but mainly bobcat because I really like the looks of the animal and they don’t have a season in my part of Michigan.

I have 2 main questions.

1. From my current interpretation of information on the TPWD website, coyote and bobcat are non-game species that can be hunted/trapped year around on private property by any legal means. A bobcat pelt would just require a seal prior to leaving the state. With this in mind, does anyone know if I would require a non-resident trappers license, or just a non-resident hunting license since they both are considered non-game and non-fur-bearers?

2. I have trapped a few seasons in Michigan, and there aren’t any bobcats in my area and they’re not legal so I’m not familiar with them at all. Is there a significant drop off in fur quality for bobcats like there is a potential for with coyotes in the late season? Also, any specific suggestions on sets for the San Antonio area of Texas? - I plan to only use foot holds.

Thank you for any help and insight anyone might have.

Re: Texas laws and Lonestar Bobs [Re: MI Dirthole] #6125195
01/14/18 07:36 PM
01/14/18 07:36 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Unless it's changed you have to have a hunting license and a trapping license for bcat trapping in Texas.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 01/14/18 07:36 PM.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Texas laws and Lonestar Bobs [Re: MI Dirthole] #6125410
01/14/18 09:36 PM
01/14/18 09:36 PM
S. Texas
T
Txcoonman Offline
trapper
Txcoonman  Offline
trapper
T

S. Texas
Since they are not a furbearer you don't need a trappers license for coyote or bobcat, but you will need a hunting license. I assume you will already be getting one since you will be hunting already so that should be fine. If you were to trap and want to keep any fox, coons, or ringtails then you will need the trappers license. You will need to get the cats tagged before you leave the state, I can issue you tags if you can't find anyone close to you, I'm probably about an hour or so away from where you will be, send me a pm or give me a phone call anytime and I'd be happy to talk about the land and what to expect and all that other stuff.

Texas fur and skull buyer
Greg Novak
Gnovakswa@gmail.com
361-793-6706
Re: Texas laws and Lonestar Bobs [Re: MI Dirthole] #6125599
01/14/18 11:42 PM
01/14/18 11:42 PM
MI
M
MI Dirthole Offline OP
trapper
MI Dirthole  Offline OP
trapper
M

MI
Wow - thanks A LOT Txcoonman, I was starting to doubt that trapping that trip would be realistic.

Re: Texas laws and Lonestar Bobs [Re: MI Dirthole] #6125623
01/15/18 12:18 AM
01/15/18 12:18 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

MI Dirthole,
Spot on information from Greg. I live in La Vernia, Texas.... 20 miles southeast of San Antonio and am also a CITIES agent. We don't have a store front but if I'm available I can tag your cats.
You'll need a non-resident hunting license only.

Mark

Re: Texas laws and Lonestar Bobs [Re: ] #6126199
01/15/18 04:24 PM
01/15/18 04:24 PM
MI
M
MI Dirthole Offline OP
trapper
MI Dirthole  Offline OP
trapper
M

MI
Thanks Mark

Really nice to see people be so willing to help. If I need to bug either of you for a tag it would be during the first full week of March.

I’m excited to be able to trap. This trip is about a once every other year thing, and we’re only on the property for 3-4 days. Trapping in such a different environment should be a great experience and maximize the trip.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread