No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Catahoula cur? #6126105
01/15/18 02:52 PM
01/15/18 02:52 PM
WI
H
handitrapper Offline OP
trapper
handitrapper  Offline OP
trapper
H

WI
I’m interested in this breed. Maybe some hunting? But mostly a companion.
Who has one? Or do any of you have experience with them? The good & bad?

Re: Catahoula cur? [Re: handitrapper] #6126136
01/15/18 03:28 PM
01/15/18 03:28 PM
AK
F
FL cracker in AK Offline
trapper
FL cracker in AK  Offline
trapper
F

AK
I liked them when I lived in FL. Great hunting dogs and companions. Need lots of exercise, or will get bored and into trouble.

Psalm 34:6
Re: Catahoula cur? [Re: handitrapper] #6126157
01/15/18 03:50 PM
01/15/18 03:50 PM
Shenandoah County, VA
L
l1ranger Offline
trapper
l1ranger  Offline
trapper
L

Shenandoah County, VA
i've got one. has been my favorite dog so far. have had him for almost 5 years.
has a strong hunting instict and has shown some promise on squirrels although I havent really developed. routinely brings home rabbits and birds to "play" with.

mine is not a "cuddler" as my wife says. he likes an ear or back scratch, from time to time, and not too much of that.
he will sit beside me and lay his head on my leg. I'll scratch his ear, and he'll shake his head and give me a look. he just wants rest his head.

he will let you know when something outside moves, whether its a car on the driveway or a leaf off a tree.

pretty smart, driven and hard headed. if you aren't pretty familiar with training dogs, i'd suggest classes as a pup, and lots of extra work.
its also good to socialize as a pup too. mine gets along with other dogs after a short time if they are allowed to run. not so much when stuck inside. oddly enough (mine just weighed in at 62 lbs), he was put in his place by a 3lb mini yorkie over christmas. they vary in size from about 45 to 100 lbs depending on breed lines.

lots of energy and if he doesnt get it out most every day he gets a little mischevious.
he's good with the girls (both teenagers), tries to herd the chickens when they are out and about, and not agressive, but very wary of strangers.
he has warmed up to everybody that has visited the house within 10 minutes or so - except one of my wife's cousins. he has never liked him, and I think he might be right.

he harasses the cat, almost constantly, but the cat deserves it.

my wife takes him to "daycare" on occassion, though it used to be a couple times a week. they give him one on one time with some grooming, and then allow for plenty of free time outside with other dogs to socialize and expend energy.

he's also a talker - not so much barking unless somethign has him alerted, but mumbles if we forget to feed him, or he needs out

2 things I'll reiterate (kind of 3)
training
exercise (give him a task)

we took ours to some local classes for about 16 weeks total his first year. the idea was to get the girls and wife in on how to train a dog so we'd all be consistent, but I shoudl have taken a class on how to train the kids first. he recognizes me as the leader, but probably thinks he's on the same level as my wife, and the kids barely register unless they are holding a treat. the kids did not participate the way they needed to.

I run mine good for about an hour almost everyday - he's not a huge fan of the cold, but he'll tolerate it if somebody is with him.
his task is to fetch, which also plays into the exercise. we have a large yard (3 acres), and a good supply of tennis balls...and he will bring back almost anything i toss, including throwing hickory nuts off the deck, or tossing firewood off the truck.
I try to get him out in the big woods every couple of weeks and let him explore on his own and run himself to exhaustion. for every mile I walk, he'll cover 3, but stays within a good distance of me and always returns on the whistle

Josh
Re: Catahoula cur? [Re: handitrapper] #6126353
01/15/18 06:50 PM
01/15/18 06:50 PM
sw iowa
jv220 Offline
trapper
jv220  Offline
trapper

sw iowa
We have a Catahoula that is 7 years old. He is our favorite dog! He is very protective of our children. Great watch dog. If some kids are in barn and some in house he will lay 1/2 way between to keep an eye on everyone. Never been fixed and he doesn't leave the yard unless we go out on the farm then he follows. Not very sociable as far as other animals go. Keeps stray animals off of our place. Eliminates coons and opossums out of the yard. We don't hunt with dogs but he could have been trained. This weekend we just picked up a female Catahoula pup. They come in a lot of different colorations and sizes. Our male is 80 pounds. If you have any questions pm us.

My reading of history convinces me that most
bad government results from too much government.
Thomas
Jefferson
Re: Catahoula cur? [Re: handitrapper] #6126393
01/15/18 07:23 PM
01/15/18 07:23 PM
western Oklahoma
D
Davisfur Offline
trapper
Davisfur  Offline
trapper
D

western Oklahoma

I love my Catahoula and blackmouth cur cross! He will hunt just about anything with hair or feathers and is my constant companion. I hunted curs on hogs for 20 years and have to say some of the best dogs I ever had were Catahoula or Catahoula crossed. As stated above they require A LOT of exercise! And from my experience they can be very protective of "thier" humans. Some to the point of being a "one person only" dog. Meaning no one can lay a hand on him without pulling back a stump except his master. My dog in the picture is very protective of me but otherwise not aggressive towards people. But nobody lays hands on me not even my wife unless I tell him it's OK for them to do so.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread