No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Concealed carry help [Re: Tattoodlineman] #6123007
01/12/18 08:53 PM
01/12/18 08:53 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Hate 'em !!!

Mean As Nails
Re: Concealed carry help [Re: white17] #6123015
01/12/18 09:02 PM
01/12/18 09:02 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Originally Posted By: white17
Hate 'em !!!

I concur, I bought my Kahr PM9 for a backup/ultra concealable gun. Much prefer my P-250 for a full sized carry. For live fire training with the Kahr I reholster by removing the holster and then put the gun in it. But it has a place.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Concealed carry help [Re: Tattoodlineman] #6123025
01/12/18 09:09 PM
01/12/18 09:09 PM
Wright county, Minnesota
Birch Tree Offline
trapper
Birch Tree  Offline
trapper

Wright county, Minnesota
You can get a million different answers to this question and they are all opinion based so I will give you my input/opinion. I am basing my opinions on the fact that I have gone through extensive (MP) military training and shot more than a few IPPSC competitions in my day so take them with a grain of salt!

I would carry the largest handgun that you can conceal well enough and still draw it without interference in a millisecond of time, my personal preference is a full sized 1911 .45 in an inside the waistband holster on my right back side of the hip.

I do not like the micro compact guns because for the average citizen the gun is worthless because of the control factor in a high-stress situation, people are more likely to shoot wild because of the recoil of the little guns, I call them gut guns because that is the range they are best suited for.

The smallest gun that I personally would recommend for an average guy is a Glock 19 (the same size guns in .40/.45 are good if you can handle the recoil), it is light enough and easy to control, carries plenty of rounds and the 9mm is mild but sharp and can be kept from "running" away from the target during rapid fire (likely to happen in a combat situation with all the adrenaline pumping). The smallest gun I have fired is the Freedom arms belt buckle revolver in .22 LR and one version in .22 magnum and both are not even usable in a firefight, I owned a Keltec subcompact 9mm and got rid of it because the DOA trigger plus the recoil made the gun unfit for CC IMO for uncontrollability. If you can't control a gun it does you no good in a fight period and just because you can shoot it at paper well enough doesn't mean you can control it during a very high-stress situation.

That you are taking one-on-one classes with a professional trainer with LE background is awesome, it speaks volumes for your desire to be a safe CC holder! Even after the training is complete, practice as much as you can afford to using the same techniques he trains you in but you will most likely have to do it on private property because most ranges will not let you shoot like that for liability reasons. IPPSC shooting is a good substitute albeit an expensive one!

I know many people who have the Ruger LC series of guns will argue with me on my opinions but I am betting most if not all of them have never had to use those guns in an actual firefight, more power to them and I pray they never have to use it as I pray you will never have to use yours, God bless and keep you safe!

Mark Skokan, Buffalo MN.

MTA and NTA Member.
Re: Concealed carry help [Re: white17] #6123062
01/12/18 09:54 PM
01/12/18 09:54 PM
Central/Adirondacks NYS
Tattoodlineman Offline OP
trapper
Tattoodlineman  Offline OP
trapper

Central/Adirondacks NYS
The one thing I would like is a loaded chamber indicator for exercises in the dark.

My buddy from work came up to my range today and let me try his SR45. It had a loaded chamber indicator which I really liked. I liked the way it fit in my hands and the textured grip felt very secure right away when I held. I did not like the trigger pull at all.

Criticism is the death gurgle of a non achiever
7 yr apprentice
Coyote- 94
Red fox- 2
Grey fox- 9
Fisher- 46
Bobcat- 1
Coon- 14
Crow- 2
Turkey-1
Re: Concealed carry help [Re: Tattoodlineman] #6123065
01/12/18 09:58 PM
01/12/18 09:58 PM
Central/Adirondacks NYS
trapper
trapper

Central/Adirondacks NYS
Love all the input you veteran CC guys and military fellas are feeding me.
However my piggy bank might not agree after I hit the gun shop tomorrow grin

7 yr apprentice
Coyote- 94
Red fox- 2
Grey fox- 9
Fisher- 46
Bobcat- 1
Coon- 14
Crow- 2
Turkey-1
Re: Concealed carry help [Re: Tattoodlineman] #6123069
01/12/18 10:03 PM
01/12/18 10:03 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Piggy banks and gun shops rarely agree !!

Mean As Nails
Re: Concealed carry help [Re: Tattoodlineman] #6123127
01/12/18 11:00 PM
01/12/18 11:00 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Planning on getting my CC permit soon and haven't got a gun picked out. Thank all of you for all the great information.

Re: Concealed carry help [Re: Marty] #6123181
01/13/18 12:19 AM
01/13/18 12:19 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Marty
Glocks are known for discharging while being holstered...they call it glockleg... smile

really good at going bang when you pull the trigger , be it your finger or clothing caught in the holster

always holster in a safe direction

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Concealed carry help [Re: Tattoodlineman] #6123187
01/13/18 12:30 AM
01/13/18 12:30 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
if we knew we were headed into a fire fight , we wouldn't go.

if we had no other option but to go we would bring help with rifles and body armor.

but we don't know when it will happen or where it will happen. so carrying a small 9mm is a lot more useful than a full size left at home. as long as you are familiar with it and practiced.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Concealed carry help [Re: Tattoodlineman] #6123188
01/13/18 12:33 AM
01/13/18 12:33 AM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
I carry a full sized pistol daily..

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Re: Concealed carry help [Re: Tattoodlineman] #6125314
01/14/18 08:52 PM
01/14/18 08:52 PM
Central/Adirondacks NYS
trapper
trapper

Central/Adirondacks NYS
So I had my first 10 hours of CC self defense training this weekend, instructor turned me onto this for practicing in the House.
Saves on ammo and helps break the trigger too.

https://www.itargetpro.com/

7 yr apprentice
Coyote- 94
Red fox- 2
Grey fox- 9
Fisher- 46
Bobcat- 1
Coon- 14
Crow- 2
Turkey-1
Re: Concealed carry help [Re: Tattoodlineman] #6125414
01/14/18 09:38 PM
01/14/18 09:38 PM
SW WI
trapper20 Offline
trapper
trapper20  Offline
trapper

SW WI
First off you said you don't have much experience with a pistol. First thing you should do is practice. Next get a feel for a pistol at a good shop. Try on a few ccw holsters. Then practice practice practice. Practice drawing, and then practice drawing and firing. Before carrying make sure you understand what could happen if you use it.
Before people start bashing me. I agree I'd rather be alive and face the music than be dead! And if in a life or death situation pull and shoot without hesitation. This more for knowing what to do when the police show up and if you decide to use your weapon for other reasons.

Re: Concealed carry help [Re: trapper20] #6125444
01/14/18 09:56 PM
01/14/18 09:56 PM
Central/Adirondacks NYS
trapper
trapper

Central/Adirondacks NYS
Originally Posted By: trapper20
First off you said you don't have much experience with a pistol. First thing you should do is practice. Next get a feel for a pistol at a good shop. Try on a few ccw holsters. Then practice practice practice. Practice drawing, and then practice drawing and firing. Before carrying make sure you understand what could happen if you use.

All of which I HAVE been doing

7 yr apprentice
Coyote- 94
Red fox- 2
Grey fox- 9
Fisher- 46
Bobcat- 1
Coon- 14
Crow- 2
Turkey-1
Re: Concealed carry help [Re: Tattoodlineman] #6125518
01/14/18 10:44 PM
01/14/18 10:44 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
For concealed carry.....after you figure out what holster you will use and where it will always be placed on your body.....hold pistol up as if shooting with an extended arm with one hand and use the other hand to align sights while figuring out your 'perfect' (master) grip.

While retaining this grip reverse engineer the pistol back into the holster...paying attention to your hand position after it is fully inserted.

That is the proper hand position to initiate the draw.....you will be able to come right up to sight alignment and instinctive shooting at very close quarters.

Different holsters dictate a different initial hand position.....I have a few that I have to draw with just the thumb and the pinky and ring finger while my first two fingers remain pointed along the side of the pistol until it clears the holster....then I can get those two fingers into the correct grip. How close the holster holds the gun to your body, its position on the body and the cut away below the trigger guard will be the things that are different from one set up to another.

When a second may be very important there will be no time to fumble around with your grip.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Re: Concealed carry help [Re: Tattoodlineman] #6125538
01/14/18 10:54 PM
01/14/18 10:54 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I am familiar with the itarget

it is dry fire practice with instant gratification , it is my opinion if you can be honest with yourself as to where your sights really were on the target when the trigger broke and your gun stayed on target , then you don't need an electric gadget to tell you that.

I have a friend who is confined to a wheel chair that really likes his , he just can't get to the range near as often as he would like.

really getting good at breaking the trigger clean and strait back will allow you to shoot distances few think are possible with a handgun. not that shooting a 12 inch steel plate at 100 yards with a compact pistol is something you need , it is kind of fun . but having the trigger control that well developed will make the close shots that much faster and easier

have you worked on controlled pairs at all ?

Re: Concealed carry help [Re: Tattoodlineman] #6125692
01/15/18 02:29 AM
01/15/18 02:29 AM
missouri
M
meat eater Offline
trapper
meat eater  Offline
trapper
M

missouri
I carry a Springfield SDS 45 In the small of my back, I have hip problems and IWB on my side makes my hip hurt, I also carry a Kimber Solo 9mm, and for a pocket gun I carry a Kel-Tec 380 mostly in the summer because they are much smaller. It doesn't matter the gun manufacture as long as it is a reputable name, it matters most what fits you, your comfortable with, and you are accurate with, holsters is the same way, whatever works for you, unfortunately you may have to buy and sell a few holsters before you get that one you love.

Re: Concealed carry help [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6126521
01/15/18 08:51 PM
01/15/18 08:51 PM
Central/Adirondacks NYS
trapper
trapper

Central/Adirondacks NYS
Originally Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE
I am familiar with the itarget

it is dry fire practice with instant gratification , it is my opinion if you can be honest with yourself as to where your sights really were on the target when the trigger broke and your gun stayed on target , then you don't need an electric gadget to tell you that.

I have a friend who is confined to a wheel chair that really likes his , he just can't get to the range near as often as he would like.

really getting good at breaking the trigger clean and strait back will allow you to shoot distances few think are possible with a handgun. not that shooting a 12 inch steel plate at 100 yards with a compact pistol is something you need , it is kind of fun . but having the trigger control that well developed will make the close shots that much faster and easier

have you worked on controlled pairs at all ?

Yes he’s started me off with basic controlled pairs Saturday. Hours of it! Then he started applying stress, I did surprisingly well with accuracy. My weapon jammed up a couple times and he also showed me how to safely clear it which is something I was thankful for.

During my “basic” firearms training class I took last year, the last event we did was shooting at the life size target @100 yards for fun, whoever hit it the most out of 5 shots won a $50 gift card to a local gun shop. I did not hit the target at all. Lol The guy next to me hit center mass 3x!

7 yr apprentice
Coyote- 94
Red fox- 2
Grey fox- 9
Fisher- 46
Bobcat- 1
Coon- 14
Crow- 2
Turkey-1
Re: Concealed carry help [Re: Tattoodlineman] #6126545
01/15/18 09:02 PM
01/15/18 09:02 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted By: Tattoodlineman

Yes he’s started me off with basic controlled pairs Saturday. Hours of it! Then he started applying stress, I did surprisingly well with accuracy. My weapon jammed up a couple times and he also showed me how to safely clear it which is something I was thankful for.

That would concern me waaaaaay more than the safety issue. I had ONE FTF in my training and it was because the primer was upside down in the case. If you have had FTF a "couple times" I would be looking at new magazines or a different gun

Mean As Nails
Re: Concealed carry help [Re: Tattoodlineman] #6126564
01/15/18 09:10 PM
01/15/18 09:10 PM
Central/Adirondacks NYS
trapper
trapper

Central/Adirondacks NYS
So far I’ve purchased three different IWB holsters for my LC9S, and go figure the one I liked the most was the cheapest one smh...Made by Blackhawk, suede like material open top grip up. As I said before I’m skinny and the material is very comfortable to the body.
The one I got from forgetech was ok, concealed well and was comfortable, but I didn’t like how the weapon sat straight up and down and could not adjust the angle.

7 yr apprentice
Coyote- 94
Red fox- 2
Grey fox- 9
Fisher- 46
Bobcat- 1
Coon- 14
Crow- 2
Turkey-1
Re: Concealed carry help [Re: white17] #6126595
01/15/18 09:29 PM
01/15/18 09:29 PM
Central/Adirondacks NYS
trapper
trapper

Central/Adirondacks NYS
Originally Posted By: Tattoodlineman

That would concern me waaaaaay more than the safety issue. I had ONE FTF in my training and it was because the primer was upside down in the case. If you have had FTF a "couple times" I would be looking at new magazines or a different gun

Stop giving me reasons to buy more pistols!
Joking aside, not going to lie I don’t like the countless number of times I look down or check and my safety is off. It gets turned off very easily. I’m 41 yrs old and I still hear my father harping me when I was young “is your safety on, is your safety on, is your safety on?”......

And yes my weapon jammed 2x, both times nearing the end of my training class,
Instructor said I didn’t secure clip property. Clips were getting covered with snow/ice laying on ground.

Last edited by Tattoodlineman; 01/15/18 09:39 PM.

7 yr apprentice
Coyote- 94
Red fox- 2
Grey fox- 9
Fisher- 46
Bobcat- 1
Coon- 14
Crow- 2
Turkey-1
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread