Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Fox vs Wolf #6128060
01/16/18 11:08 PM
01/16/18 11:08 PM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline OP
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline OP
trapper
J

MB
Obviously wolves would kill the fox if they ever went at it. But here’s the question, can Wolves catch a fox? How big of a problem are wolves on fox predation?

It got me wondering because fox aren’t out killing moose, elk, caribou, or deer. So wolves can survive with fox picking up the scraps. But coyotes will take down big game and a population of coyotes can take away food from the wolves. So wolves chase away the coyotes, but do they try to chase away the fox?

With a well tree’d bush with a lot of undergrowth and deadfall can the fox sneak through quicker than a wolf, letting him get away?

Cold as ice!
Re: Fox vs Wolf [Re: Jurassic Park] #6128128
01/17/18 12:07 AM
01/17/18 12:07 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I don't think wolves bother fox too much at all,they tolerate them like they do ravens.I have had fox ripped out of snares and eaten by wolves because of the easy opportunity.Fox in the bush depend a lot on wolf kills in winter to make their living.Lots of times I take fox at jackpots where wolves have already been snared.Fox snares in close,wolf snares back a ways.Fox don't seem to be scared of the wolves.

Last edited by Boco; 01/17/18 12:08 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Fox vs Wolf [Re: Jurassic Park] #6128175
01/17/18 12:58 AM
01/17/18 12:58 AM
Bethel, Alaska
fishermann222 Offline
"OX"
fishermann222  Offline
"OX"

Bethel, Alaska
Wolves eat fox out of snares here all the time. If you have fox in a snare and a wolf goes near, that fox is toast.

I survived the Tman crash of '06
Re: Fox vs Wolf [Re: Jurassic Park] #6128284
01/17/18 08:01 AM
01/17/18 08:01 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Absolutely as stated above. None of the wolf tracks I have ever cut here take any detour for fox tracks. If they cross fresh coyote tracks it's a different story.

Now that the wolves have knocked the moose out and the deer down so far here, they spend less time driving out the coyotes, a few seem to be slipping back in. Perhaps the wolves are becoming much more concerned about finding enough food?

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Fox vs Wolf [Re: Jurassic Park] #6128658
01/17/18 02:34 PM
01/17/18 02:34 PM
SW Alaska
otterman Offline
trapper
otterman  Offline
trapper

SW Alaska
I don't think the wolves spend time chasing the fox down but will eat everyone they find in a trap or snare around here. Coyotes are another story I believe they keep the few coyotes we have in check and have found evidence on one occasion of them hunting one out of a brush patch and eating everything but the head. I imagine they would have eaten the head if we hadn't come along we took 2 of those wolves home that day smile

We get out of life only as much as we really want and work hard enough to achieve
Re: Fox vs Wolf [Re: Jurassic Park] #6128693
01/17/18 03:14 PM
01/17/18 03:14 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
There was a winter night in the late 90's when I heard a tremendous wolf conglomeration raising heck. Next morning down off a old back road there was some large cast off wood panels, We found where a pack had chased an old dog coyote in under things and had worked like heck to drag him out which they did and killed him. 7-8 big puncture wounds in the back of the coyotes neck. Seems they bit and shook him breaking the neck. Skun it to figure all this out but it was too wooly a hide to be worth anything.

They made no effort to eat or tear it up beyond the killing chomps.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Fox vs Wolf [Re: Jurassic Park] #6128910
01/17/18 07:31 PM
01/17/18 07:31 PM
Western Alaska
T
Thurman Offline
trapper
Thurman  Offline
trapper
T

Western Alaska
not a wolf but a few years ago i caught a large bushy red fox at the start of a valley i trapped that year, and hung it in the bush above next to the set as i wold be back through that way in about an hour. When I came back through there was monster lynx tracks right to that bush, it had pulled the fox down from about 6 ft up in the alders and dragged it off. Tried tracking it but the lynx got into some really heavy and rocky stuff. Wish it had checked out my set. On a final note about half of the 4-5 white fox i catch every year come from snare pens baited with fox remains, know it isnt a huge sample size but ive always found it interesting.

Re: Fox vs Wolf [Re: Jurassic Park] #6129036
01/17/18 09:06 PM
01/17/18 09:06 PM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline OP
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline OP
trapper
J

MB
Thanks guys! That’s kinda what I figured.

Cold as ice!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman