No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: Finster] #6133354
01/21/18 06:37 PM
01/21/18 06:37 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Originally Posted By: Finster
Nothing wrong with a spanking. I'm a firm believer in corporal punishment when needed. I think it's a major problem that more parents don't.

X2

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6133362
01/21/18 06:41 PM
01/21/18 06:41 PM
Wilmington, NC
Tim H. Offline
trapper
Tim H.  Offline
trapper

Wilmington, NC
I think flying off the cuff is more of a problem than spanking. My mom was the fly off the cuff type, my dad was a "never lay a hand on a child" type. Neither is ideal in my mind, but somehow I turned out reasonably well.

"The man who goes to sea for pleasure would go to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) to pass the time!"
Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6133960
01/22/18 02:35 AM
01/22/18 02:35 AM
Franklin county, Indiana
Hillbilly910 Offline
trapper
Hillbilly910  Offline
trapper

Franklin county, Indiana
Ive been spanked alot, but when great grandma got me...
My great grandma was blind, sweetest woman ever, literally. She would feed me anything. That woman could cook, blind as a bat, make food that Gordon Ramsey could only hope for.
Same woman, thought the sun rose, and set on me.
Same blind woman, lit my hind end a fire, when I said dang it. OK, I took the Lords name in vain. Bet your sweet keister, I'll not do it again...
You can shoot me in the face with a shotgun, and I won't take the lords name in vain...

When a crippled blind lady spanks your butt with an RCA, remote...

An RCA TV remote will make a fellar choose his words quite carefully

God created all men, but Sammuel Colt made all men equal
Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6133964
01/22/18 02:50 AM
01/22/18 02:50 AM
Franklin county, Indiana
Hillbilly910 Offline
trapper
Hillbilly910  Offline
trapper

Franklin county, Indiana
I'd pay anything to have her back...
Only grandparent that ever put me in my place, and she couldnt see. Still thought the sun rose and set with me.

Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6133967
01/22/18 03:34 AM
01/22/18 03:34 AM
Franklin county, Indiana
Hillbilly910 Offline
trapper
Hillbilly910  Offline
trapper

Franklin county, Indiana
First time I got in a fight, I won, wasn't a great victory, but when my opponent took the Lords name in vain, I commenced to running like a hound dog on a hot coon track...

RCA got me once...lol

Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6134007
01/22/18 08:00 AM
01/22/18 08:00 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
I'm strongly in favor of firm discipline when it comes to raising children. I will give my sons a spanking if I feel I have to. But after reading a book called "Gentle Measures in the Management and Training of the Young" I am much less likely to resort to physical punishment and to look for better ways to discipline my kids.

In the book, the author, Jacob Abbott, makes the case that disciplining our children is critically important. Corporal punishment, he says, is effective and far better than no discipline at all. But he claims it is a rather crude and blunt method of discipline. There are better ways of doing teaching our children discipline without causing the mental terror imparted by a spanking. Seeing how my young sons react to a spanking, I tend to agree with him. My father certainly didn't "spare the rod" and thinking back on it, my fear and terror of the pain and humiliation of being physically punished probably was a big reason why my dad and I were never very good friends.

The main thing I remember from the book was to "make your children love you and then be what you want them to become, in their presence." I'd rather have my sons lovingly follow my example than have them be like I was to my father - lying to him, sneaking around, and avoiding his presence so that I could escape his spankings, anger, and humiliation.

The book is so old it is in the public domain and you can read it for free on-line or download and listen to an audio version of it. - Try project Gutenberg or librivox.com

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28136594-gentle-measures

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6134051
01/22/18 09:21 AM
01/22/18 09:21 AM
Millville, Pennsylvania
Fairchild #17 Offline
trapper
Fairchild #17  Offline
trapper

Millville, Pennsylvania
I will never hit one of my children. It's just flat out not going to happen.

I tell each one of my kids personally that I love them multiple times a day.
I ask each one of them personally about details of their day and what they will do the next day.
I personally read to and play with each one individually every day.
I have special one-on-one daddy days with each one. They know they are special times.
We pray together at every meal. Each person says what they are thankful for.
We talk to the kids like adults and explain anything and everything they ask about.

The bottom line is my kids know they are loved and we treat them with very generous kindness and respect.

However, they have come to learn when I'm not happy with them. All I have to say is "If I have to tell you again, you're not going to like it."
9 times out of 10 they straighten right up. If not they lose something on the spot that is important to them. If they fuss about that, they get another consequence.
It's amazing how quick kids can wise up when you get them thinking critically.
They usually go and fuss somewhere for a while and then come and apologize to me for their behavior. We talk about what happened and why.

I was hit nearly daily as a kid. I always remember getting hit out of anger. Belts and sticks most of the time. One time was a frozen bag of bread across my head that knocked me out cold. I remember little white stars floating around when I came to. All it did was make me want to avoid those the people that hit me.

I could never bring myself to whip, burn, or beat my kids.

My twin daughters are 6 and my boy is three. We often get compliments on their kindness towards others.

I know if my kids principal did to them what my principal did to me........I would walk into his house and beat him with a perforated wooden paddle until he bawled........then spit in his face and tell him I'll be back for another one tomorrow.

Nowadays it just don't pay to be a good 'ol boy.
Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: Fairchild #17] #6134079
01/22/18 10:08 AM
01/22/18 10:08 AM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
I am a firm believer that it is NEVER alright to hit (hit not spank) a woman or child. I will also go out and say no matter
how angry I get I will never hit my dog. There is ways to discipline without spanking. Now I have heard the same to never spank a kid
but I have seen some out of control kids that if I had them I'm not sure what I'd do?

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog!"
Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6134183
01/22/18 11:51 AM
01/22/18 11:51 AM
havelock, NC
Rye Offline
trapper
Rye  Offline
trapper

havelock, NC
It's a tool, and like any tool, applied incorrectly it does more damage than good. Used correctly, it makes the job so much easier.

To those that say they won't spank, I have a serious question. How do you reason with a two year old? I've never been able to get it to work. But a quick swat on the butt sure seemed to get the message across. When I say "No!" it means just that.

Last edited by Rye; 01/22/18 11:53 AM.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first. "
--Mark Twain.

Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6134226
01/22/18 01:10 PM
01/22/18 01:10 PM

C
CaptGus
Unregistered
CaptGus
Unregistered
C

Correction is a tough job. But in the course of raising children there are times when a parent must correct a child and let them know there are consequences to actions. My wife and I have raised 3 boys and at times spanking was used as correction. Its never easy to use punishment on a child that you love and loves you in return but its either correct them as they grow or go visit them in prison. I'm a firm believer in spankings, I wish the school systems hadn't removed the paddle. Nobody said it would be easy raising children but if you want to have good adults you better correct them when they are young. I had plenty of spankings and paddlings growing up and wasn't scarred or never sit in counseling over it, looking back I'm glad my mom and dad loved me enough to correct me. I'm hoping when I become a grandparent that I wont have to correct the grandkids, I'm hoping my children will take care of that job because I'm getting soft in my old age.

Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6134241
01/22/18 01:23 PM
01/22/18 01:23 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Never had to spank my kid.

Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6134248
01/22/18 01:33 PM
01/22/18 01:33 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I wish you were my dad ADC. Now I am scarred for life.. grin

Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: Rye] #6134305
01/22/18 02:54 PM
01/22/18 02:54 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Originally Posted By: Rye
It's a tool, and like any tool, applied incorrectly it does more damage than good. Used correctly, it makes the job so much easier.

To those that say they won't spank, I have a serious question. How do you reason with a two year old? I've never been able to get it to work. But a quick swat on the butt sure seemed to get the message across. When I say "No!" it means just that.

Especially when they are wearing a diaper. Gets their attention without any real pain. No has to mean no, no matter how you get there for their safety. I have not had to spank my son since he was in diapers, even then it was a little tap on the bottom, but he knows what no means. He is very polite and listens well. If you do it right, you don’t have to do it often no matter how you discipline.

I had some pretty good swats when I was a kid, but not a lot. I remember most every one to this day. I don’t want to do that with my son though. He is way more behaved than I was anyhow.

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: bhugo] #6134350
01/22/18 03:58 PM
01/22/18 03:58 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
To each their own. I wouldn't try to tell you fellas how to raise your kids. My philosophy was that I am enough smarter than a little kid to figure out a punishment, or way to divert the bad behavior, that works without spanking.

I've seen kids that I wouldn't want to deal with though, but I wonder how they were dealt with in the past to get them to where they were when I saw them.

Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6134775
01/22/18 10:00 PM
01/22/18 10:00 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
When I see an out of control wild child running around screaming in a public place, I start looking for the parent. That is the one who needs to be beaten.

Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6134806
01/22/18 10:26 PM
01/22/18 10:26 PM
Meridian , ID
B
Badgerman50 Offline
trapper
Badgerman50  Offline
trapper
B

Meridian , ID
Harleyparts, I don’t know you that well but from that interaction I had with you when you transported that pup for me, I knew you were a good guy. If you weren’t you wouldn’t care about the whole thing.

I don’t hit my kid either. He’s six inches taller than me and a boxer. I’d like to stay out of the hospital.

Badgerman
Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: 52Carl] #6134826
01/22/18 10:46 PM
01/22/18 10:46 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Originally Posted By: 52Carl
When I see an out of control wild child running around screaming in a public place, I start looking for the parent. That is the one who needs to be beaten.

Go to the hood often?

laugh

Maybe try Chicago?

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6134832
01/22/18 10:52 PM
01/22/18 10:52 PM
kentucky
L
logger coffey Offline
trapper
logger coffey  Offline
trapper
L

kentucky
After reading all this ,i wonder whats wrong with the world today ,whip them into shape, after reading all this .i just want to hug and kiss. and go watch peter pan.

Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6135134
01/23/18 10:07 AM
01/23/18 10:07 AM
Shenandoah County, VA
L
l1ranger Offline
trapper
l1ranger  Offline
trapper
L

Shenandoah County, VA
i'll add that not everybody is the same, and we will all react, behave, and learn differently from different experiences.

I got spanked, grounded, put in the corner, talked to, talked at, had things taken away, and punished in many different ways and probably deserved all of them. I never considered any of it abuse, or beating

Josh
Re: Spanking children, I'll never to it again [Re: harleydparts] #6135157
01/23/18 10:26 AM
01/23/18 10:26 AM
S. Texas
T
Txcoonman Offline
trapper
Txcoonman  Offline
trapper
T

S. Texas
Reading this it reminds me I haven’t spanked mine in a day or two, makes me wanna go wake em up with a good one right now lol. Im just kiddin but I agree that if you use it as a tool and get on a level with them and talk to them and explain why they got disciplined it should take but one or two times to figure out I probably shouldn’t do that again. Don’t beat em lol but every kid deserves a spanking every now and then, a few good times then all it takes is a look or gesture that gets the point across as they get older

Texas fur and skull buyer
Greg Novak
Gnovakswa@gmail.com
361-793-6706
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread