No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Can a dog know you're feeling bad [Re: hrdtoflw] #6134026
01/22/18 08:52 AM
01/22/18 08:52 AM
Warren co Mo
H
hrdtoflw Offline OP
trapper
hrdtoflw  Offline OP
trapper
H

Warren co Mo
Thanks for all of the replies. Dogs are way smarter than one may think.

If your mind draws a blank, turn off the sound, because ya can't learn a thing if you're doin all the talkin
Re: Can a dog know you're feeling bad [Re: hrdtoflw] #6134175
01/22/18 11:37 AM
01/22/18 11:37 AM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
Listen to Doc, Gary!

Dogs can smell or sense organic compounds in parts per trillion, including chemicals in your system that indicate impending seizures, cancer, high blood pressure, all kinds of things! They have amazing sniffers paired with their ties to humans they care about. It's a powerful combination!

Please let us know how this turns out. All our best to you!
Patrice

WTA District 9 Director ... Go D9!
Member: WTA, Intertel, Mensa (Trappers ain't stupid.)
Life Member: NRA
Re: Can a dog know you're feeling bad [Re: hrdtoflw] #6134182
01/22/18 11:48 AM
01/22/18 11:48 AM

O
Oh Snap
Unregistered
Oh Snap
Unregistered
O

If your dog all of a sudden starts staying close to you and won't leave your side you best get checked out. That was my experience anyway.

Re: Can a dog know you're feeling bad [Re: Mac] #6134219
01/22/18 12:57 PM
01/22/18 12:57 PM
Niobrara Nebraska
J
jjbathke2001 Offline
trapper
jjbathke2001  Offline
trapper
J

Niobrara Nebraska
Originally Posted By: Mac
Dogs sense energy. Most will recognize that their person does not feel well long before the person does. Dogs will recognize when their owner is afraid or anxious.
You will see this a lot when teaching basic dog training classes and in dealing with dogs that have behavior issues.
Not all of course, but a large amount of the time it seems that dogs exhibiting certain behavior at a dog class can be traced right up the leash or lead attached to the dog's owner.

An example: When you have a dog owner that feel anxious and is expecting a problem when another dog approaches their space, this energy is picked up by the owner's dog. The anxious dog owner will have a dog that recognizes that the owner is upset and anxious and will immediately behave differently. The dog will feel that something about the situation, what ever it is, is "bad" because the of the owner's reaction.
Seen many, many examples. Dogs pick up on energy and how you feel.

Sometimes, well most of the time, it is harder to train the pet owners than it is the dogs.

Mac

I'm sorry but dogs don't pick up on "engery" dogs are visual and scent oriented. What the dog is picking up on is body languge and smell. In you anxious owner post the dog picks up on facial ticks and other body language features. In the OP thing im sure the dog is picking up different than normal than he is used to seeing body language and scent.

Dogs are used by medical field to sniff out cancer, detect siezers, and numoures other things.

There is no try or try not, only a coyote in the trap or not.
Re: Can a dog know you're feeling bad [Re: hrdtoflw] #6134224
01/22/18 01:08 PM
01/22/18 01:08 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Dog's are very Empathic, and are used by the Medical profession to help diagnose some problems, such as Diabetes. Also, they can tell if your feeling "Blue", and will want to snuggle. Can drive you nuts sometimes tho. LOL

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Can a dog know you're feeling bad [Re: hrdtoflw] #6134487
01/22/18 06:48 PM
01/22/18 06:48 PM
Idaho Falls, Idaho
F
Furvor Offline
trapper
Furvor  Offline
trapper
F

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Short answer is yes. And some dogs let you know.

Re: Can a dog know you're feeling bad [Re: hrdtoflw] #6134601
01/22/18 08:18 PM
01/22/18 08:18 PM
Warren co Mo
H
hrdtoflw Offline OP
trapper
hrdtoflw  Offline OP
trapper
H

Warren co Mo
Well, no real news. Doctor cannot pinpoint anything in particular. Blood sugar is normal ( my dad has test strips) and ekg normal. I thought it could be that I forgot my blood pressure meds yesterday, but that's not the case. My dog, Doc, slept against me all night , which is rare for him. He'll normally move around a lot at night, and does not want to be touched a lot. That is normal of the breed, like lots of hounds. Last night, he seemed like a babysitter, with a newborn. Today, I feel just fine, and Doc is acting normal.
My crew at work won't let me help much, which is ok with me. I got caught up with reports today, and they did the work. Even though I'm the boss, I still like to help with the work, which has always been the way I am.
I'll make sure Doc is with me at all times. I think he may be smarter than me! Take care all!!!

If your mind draws a blank, turn off the sound, because ya can't learn a thing if you're doin all the talkin
Re: Can a dog know you're feeling bad [Re: hrdtoflw] #6134976
01/23/18 02:16 AM
01/23/18 02:16 AM

O
Oh Snap
Unregistered
Oh Snap
Unregistered
O

2 months later than this picture I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer,
She knew before I did!

Re: Can a dog know you're feeling bad [Re: hrdtoflw] #6134981
01/23/18 02:36 AM
01/23/18 02:36 AM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
To go with the headline of this post
YES 100 % and then some

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Can a dog know you're feeling bad [Re: ] #6135084
01/23/18 08:57 AM
01/23/18 08:57 AM
Warren co Mo
H
hrdtoflw Offline OP
trapper
hrdtoflw  Offline OP
trapper
H

Warren co Mo
Originally Posted By: Oh Snap
2 months later than this picture I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer,
She knew before I did!

Sorry to hear that. I hope all is well now. Looks like she's staying close. And nice picture, it looks really cool with the trees in the background. I have not made it to Alaske, YET! It is on my list of things to do.
Now, due to this latest episode, my wife says she's going with me, on my hikes. I said, come on if you're coming.
On another note, we ran into a woman at a pet store, that saw my dog. This started us talking, and she knew Doc was a Rhosesian ridgeback, because her father had one. She said that her dads dog, saved him in a house fire, by dragging him out of the house. I wondered how he got the door open!

Re: Can a dog know you're feeling bad [Re: hrdtoflw] #6135252
01/23/18 11:54 AM
01/23/18 11:54 AM

O
Oh Snap
Unregistered
Oh Snap
Unregistered
O

Thanks that was 9 years ago. Point is when there is a change in your dogs actions just be aware. Might just save your life smile

Last edited by Oh Snap; 01/23/18 11:55 AM.
Re: Can a dog know you're feeling bad [Re: hrdtoflw] #6135828
01/23/18 09:26 PM
01/23/18 09:26 PM
Central Mn
the wife Offline
trapper
the wife  Offline
trapper

Central Mn
several years ago I attended an inservice training at work where a man and his therapy dog spoke... His family was in the medical field and he volunteered at the local hospital with his dog, and the dog had a "gift" of sorts. It assisted in identifying patients hospitalized with unknown illnesses. I don't recall the entire story anymore but they would gain permission to take the dog into the hospital room, and the dog would climb onto the bed with the patient and lie next to them, and after a while certain parts of the dog would get warm- that coincided with where the illness was in the human counterpart. It took his expertise of knowing the dog's anatomy, but they visited the area hospital on a semi-regular basis until the dog passed. Hearing that testimony, and knowing the nature of my own animals, I believe they have ways of telling us when we aren't well.

Throughout your entire life, you will never see the same sky twice.
Re: Can a dog know you're feeling bad [Re: the wife] #6135882
01/23/18 09:55 PM
01/23/18 09:55 PM
Warren co Mo
H
hrdtoflw Offline OP
trapper
hrdtoflw  Offline OP
trapper
H

Warren co Mo
Originally Posted By: the wife
several years ago I attended an inservice training at work where a man and his therapy dog spoke... His family was in the medical field and he volunteered at the local hospital with his dog, and the dog had a "gift" of sorts. It assisted in identifying patients hospitalized with unknown illnesses. I don't recall the entire story anymore but they would gain permission to take the dog into the hospital room, and the dog would climb onto the bed with the patient and lie next to them, and after a while certain parts of the dog would get warm- that coincided with where the illness was in the human counterpart. It took his expertise of knowing the dog's anatomy, but they visited the area hospital on a semi-regular basis until the dog passed. Hearing that testimony, and knowing the nature of my own animals, I believe they have ways of telling us when we aren't well.

I am starting to think that dogs can feel when we have problems. It may be a difference in our actions, movements, smell etc... when we don't feel well. I know that when I am really sick, I'm like a baby. When just feeling a little bit sick, we may not realize that we act slightly different. Dogs may notice anything different, who knows? Tonight, I counted my meds, which were recieved last week. I am one shy on a blood pressure med, and one too many on the other bp med. i never count them when they come in, but My count is off on what I have left, so I think I doubled up on one, and did not take the one that controls my heart rate. That is a mistake that I have never made, and I still don't know for sure, but I think I did this to myself. I know that I felt really excited that day, and my bp was elevated. Either way, lil' Doc knew something was different that day.
I do keep some of my meds in my vehicle, just in case I forget them on work days.

Re: Can a dog know you're feeling bad [Re: hrdtoflw] #6156081
02/12/18 10:01 PM
02/12/18 10:01 PM
Warren co Mo
H
hrdtoflw Offline OP
trapper
hrdtoflw  Offline OP
trapper
H

Warren co Mo
Well, here's the latest. After all of the tests, the docs think that all of my problems are a combo of lumbar disk damage, which is causing pressure on nerves, which have caused a chain reaction of other problems. I will be getting another MRI done soon to see if it has gotten worse. I have been dealing with this since I fell from a ladder( at home) doing something stupid. At the time, I thought I broke my back, but my last MRI showed no breakage, but disk damage toward the front. Most times, herniated disks are bulged toward the back, which is not good either. Anyway, I guess time will tell with my back problem. The good news is, that all other tests showed that I'm normal. But, there is no proof of that. Lol
We went for a long hike last weekend, and Doc the ridgeback was acting like I was not there, so We kept going farther. To make a long story short, we had a perfectly normal day. Woohoo

Re: Can a dog know you're feeling bad [Re: hrdtoflw] #6156091
02/12/18 10:11 PM
02/12/18 10:11 PM
Louisiana
AirportTrapper Offline
trapper
AirportTrapper  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
I am an epileptic as well as have extreme blood sugar fluctuations (due to seizure medication). My lab knows when things are fixing to happen. He will stay very close to my side and whine beforehand.

If it makes a track on this earth , I can catch it.
Re: Can a dog know you're feeling bad [Re: AirportTrapper] #6156097
02/12/18 10:17 PM
02/12/18 10:17 PM
Warren co Mo
H
hrdtoflw Offline OP
trapper
hrdtoflw  Offline OP
trapper
H

Warren co Mo
Originally Posted By: AirportTrapper
I am an epileptic as well as have extreme blood sugar fluctuations (due to seizure medication). My lab knows when things are fixing to happen. He will stay very close to my side and whine beforehand.

It is amazing how a dog knows. I think our pups know us well. They must pick up on anything different in our movements. Subtle things to us, may be a big thing to a dog. I know mine will be with me all the time, from now on. Shoot, thats why I got him to begin with.

Re: Can a dog know you're feeling bad [Re: hrdtoflw] #6156098
02/12/18 10:18 PM
02/12/18 10:18 PM
eastern, CT
scott k Offline
trapper
scott k  Offline
trapper

eastern, CT
I had that same back issue in 2015. I am not a fan of surgery but it hurt so much anything was better. Had the micro discectomy. Walked out of the hospital 4 hours later. 100% better. Wish you the best. I was 54 when I had that done

Re: Can a dog know you're feeling bad [Re: scott k] #6156101
02/12/18 10:21 PM
02/12/18 10:21 PM
Warren co Mo
H
hrdtoflw Offline OP
trapper
hrdtoflw  Offline OP
trapper
H

Warren co Mo
Originally Posted By: scott k
I had that same back issue in 2015. I am not a fan of surgery but it hurt so much anything was better. Had the micro discectomy. Walked out of the hospital 4 hours later. 100% better. Wish you the best. I was 54 when I had that done

I am 54 now. I will try to avoid surgery, but I don't know how much longer I can sit on ice.

Re: Can a dog know you're feeling bad [Re: hrdtoflw] #6156287
02/13/18 05:50 AM
02/13/18 05:50 AM
Missouri
riverbank Offline
trapper
riverbank  Offline
trapper

Missouri
Totally agree with you scott k. I ruptured a disc in my back and tried everything I could to treat it, but I had no quality of life. Long story short, I had a micro discectomy as well last year when I was 31. I know that my back will never be the same, but it did give me my life back and I am relatively pain free now. I would highly recommend the surgery if it is bothering you that much.

Re: Can a dog know you're feeling bad [Re: Patrice] #6156302
02/13/18 07:08 AM
02/13/18 07:08 AM
MI
lebowski Offline
trapper
lebowski  Offline
trapper

MI
+1!

Originally Posted By: Patrice
Listen to Doc, Gary!

Dogs can smell or sense organic compounds in parts per trillion, including chemicals in your system that indicate impending seizures, cancer, high blood pressure, all kinds of things! They have amazing sniffers paired with their ties to humans they care about. It's a powerful combination!

Please let us know how this turns out. All our best to you!
Patrice

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

--The Dude
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread