Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Boiling Mink Snares? #6139656
01/27/18 10:48 AM
01/27/18 10:48 AM
Ireland
E
Eddie43 Offline OP
trapper
Eddie43  Offline OP
trapper
E

Ireland
Question for you experienced mink snare men. Do you boil your mink snares to take the shine off them, or will boiling slow them down?

Dog will hunt!
Re: Boiling Mink Snares? [Re: Eddie43] #6140078
01/27/18 10:00 PM
01/27/18 10:00 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
I don't get to snare mink due to our regulations, but I do not find it a good idea to boil snare cable for any critters. Boiling removes the light oil from the inner strands of the cable which will make it stiffer due to friction, plus corrosion begins almost immediately creating even less supple cable and begins to gradually weaken the snares. I'd suggest a very light dusting of camo spray paint to make your snares blend in and not effect the snares performance.

~ADC~

Re: Boiling Mink Snares? [Re: ~ADC~] #6140146
01/27/18 11:08 PM
01/27/18 11:08 PM
Morgantown, WV
D
Dfabs Offline
trapper
Dfabs  Offline
trapper
D

Morgantown, WV
Don't worry about it. Matter of fact, like Jayme, I don't boil any of my snares. I think it makes them slower. My mink snares are built like Eric Space's, and I want them to be fast. Anything touches that bottom wire, I want it to fire.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91