ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Hop to:
#6148192 - 02/04/18 08:18 PM Re: Beaver Pond Levelers [Re: Aix sponsa]
Trapper Don Offline
trapper

Loc: Mass.
Forgot one thing..these protect damming INSIDE the culvert. So the ones not taken care of still protect the culvert from major damage and keep cost of repair down. Got hundreds of dataking to back this up.
Don

#6148212 - 02/04/18 08:29 PM Re: Beaver Pond Levelers [Re: Aix sponsa]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
I agree with you on the maintenance.Usually these devices are installed after a problem situation has been taken care of by removing beaver on the drainage.Then the devices are checked for a while with no damming taking place.Many times these are in semi remote locations,and if no beaver activity is taking place they are forgotten about-until the water is over the road a couple years later.Maintaining both the devices as a deterrent and the beaver populations at reduced levels both play a part.

#6148361 - 02/04/18 09:50 PM Re: Beaver Pond Levelers [Re: Boco]
52Carl Offline
trapper

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: Boco
I seen those things in your picture so plugged up they had to be dynamited to get the water running.
After 35 years of professional nuisance beaver removal,I have seen them all.Sometimes they work for a few years,then plugged to the teats.

Did the ones you mention have the flexible pipe with the cage in deep water? None of them will work if they do not have that feature.

#6148429 - 02/04/18 10:35 PM Re: Beaver Pond Levelers [Re: Aix sponsa]
Trapper Don Offline
trapper

Loc: Mass.
Yes.most have the Pipe included. When damming at Culver cage gets to pipe level, it kicks in and holds water level there.
Beaver don't damage if water is not going over top of dam. They do keep the dam up.
To.much detail for this. It takes a 45 minute power point for me to scratch the surface. Maybe next WCT.

Edited by Trapper Don (02/04/18 10:36 PM)

#6149366 - 02/05/18 07:25 PM Re: Beaver Pond Levelers [Re: Trapper Don]
52Carl Offline
trapper

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: Trapper Don
Yes.most have the Pipe included. When damming at Culver cage gets to pipe level, it kicks in and holds water level there.
Beaver don't damage if water is not going over top of dam. They do keep the dam up.
To.much detail for this. It takes a 45 minute power point for me to scratch the surface. Maybe next WCT.

If you are responding to my post about the pipe, my post was directed toward Boco in reference to the structures he had seen fail miserably.

#6151574 - 02/08/18 08:54 AM Re: Beaver Pond Levelers [Re: Aix sponsa]
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper

Loc: New York
One local state highway supervisor installed something like the picture of the long tube going straight out into the water as in an above photo. It was a solid tube with holes in it and I guess a fence on the end. For a period it worked fine and I wasn't upset because it was a long drive anyway. I guess I was off the hook for a couple of years and then drove by one day to see the whole thing completely buried. Next trip the whole mess was gone. Have to make the setup right in the first place, in the right areas as not all areas are a go and then maintained, which seems to get neglected after a while.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2