Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hey Alaskans, how did you aquire your trapline.? [Re: fishermann222] #6147985
02/04/18 08:02 PM
02/04/18 08:02 PM
Unit 14 Alaska
358wsm Offline OP
trapper
358wsm  Offline OP
trapper

Unit 14 Alaska
Originally Posted By: fishermann222
Originally Posted By: Wylee
It ain't easy up here, I'll say that. Haven't had any luck meeting any friendly folks. Had a lot of people give incorrect info. Most everything valuable I've learned came by trial and error or "the hard way".

For me the experience was just the opposite, people were very into sharing. The thing a person has to do is be extremely humble while meeting seasoned Alaskan's and you MUST remember, you have 2 ears and one mouth.

Isn't that how we are all supposed to be, to walk humbly and love through listening. I appreciate your having shared this gem, it is a good reminder for us all.

Scott
Re: Hey Alaskans, how did you aquire your trapline.? [Re: 358wsm] #6148015
02/04/18 08:25 PM
02/04/18 08:25 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
There is your answer,Just go trap,If some other guy tells you its his line beat the snots out of him,and throw him on the baitpile,lol.Actually in the old days there was a lot of burnings and shootouts here between families encroaching on other families traditional trapping territory.
And on the Railroad,the track gang foreman was the guy who could whup all other seven section gang workers.
And you wouldn't want to cross a yard foreman who was in charge of 60 or 80 men in the yard in winter,lol.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Hey Alaskans, how did you aquire your trapline.? [Re: FairbanksLS] #6148019
02/04/18 08:28 PM
02/04/18 08:28 PM
Unit 14 Alaska
358wsm Offline OP
trapper
358wsm  Offline OP
trapper

Unit 14 Alaska
Originally Posted By: gray dog
I've been here a few years and met plenty of friendly folks.

Most of them don't want to point you to their favorite hunting spot, fishing holes or share their trapline, but they are very nice folks.

I would be the same way if I were an Alaskan Trapper, or if I was anywhere else. I know places where trout can be caught on NY rivers that know one else knows about, and I'll take my sectets to the grave. So I totally get it.
I don't want to encroach upon anyone, and I want to be isolated enough that no one is croweding me either.

I just want to know "how" things work there, how to aquire my own piece, far from any other living soul.

I want to know the answers to things like;
Can I just wander 500 hundred miles into the interior and begin trapping and erect a cabin.?

Would anyone be willing to answer that for starters.?

Where I am from the answer is "No." I am Not allowed to pack back into the Adirondacks and build a structure out of which to trap. Thus the basis of my question concerning Alaskan ground.

Thank you guys for bearing with me.

Scott
Re: Hey Alaskans, how did you aquire your trapline.? [Re: 358wsm] #6148021
02/04/18 08:30 PM
02/04/18 08:30 PM
Palmer Alaska
C
chasing eyes Offline
trapper
chasing eyes  Offline
trapper
C

Palmer Alaska
Great question i will be following this one closely as I am now planning a trip to Alaska in March for a couple job interviews and some house hunting. So if everything work's out i will be looking into finding a spot of my own.

Re: Hey Alaskans, how did you aquire your trapline.? [Re: isnarewolves] #6148032
02/04/18 08:41 PM
02/04/18 08:41 PM
Unit 14 Alaska
358wsm Offline OP
trapper
358wsm  Offline OP
trapper

Unit 14 Alaska
Originally Posted By: isnarewolves
The neighboring trapper starting encroaching into my country, so after many verbal disputes. we had a knock down throw all rules out fight. Now i have more trap line. cool

I'd say that after "many verbal disputes" he was lucky to have escaped with his life not have been converted into Wolf bait.

Hopefully he's learned a thing or two about respecting others, cuz if I come up and he tries that kind of thing with me he's apt to get more than a bloody nose. If that's him in the pic, I going to save it and keep an eye out for him. And trust me, there will only be 1 verbal warning. I won't tolerate that level of disrespect.

A lot of people can get "lost" in the woods and never come back out. mad

Scott
Re: Hey Alaskans, how did you aquire your trapline.? [Re: 358wsm] #6148052
02/04/18 08:59 PM
02/04/18 08:59 PM
Interior Alaska
E
EurekaTrapper Offline
trapper
EurekaTrapper  Offline
trapper
E

Interior Alaska
Originally Posted By: 358wsm
Originally Posted By: gray dog
I've been here a few years and met plenty of friendly folks.

Most of them don't want to point you to their favorite hunting spot, fishing holes or share their trapline, but they are very nice folks.

I would be the same way if I were an Alaskan Trapper, or if I was anywhere else. I know places where trout can be caught on NY rivers that know one else knows about, and I'll take my sectets to the grave. So I totally get it.
I don't want to encroach upon anyone, and I want to be isolated enough that no one is croweding me either.

I just want to know "how" things work there, how to aquire my own piece, far from any other living soul.

I want to know the answers to things like;
Can I just wander 500 hundred miles into the interior and begin trapping and erect a cabin.?

Would anyone be willing to answer that for starters.?

Where I am from the answer is "No." I am Not allowed to pack back into the Adirondacks and build a structure out of which to trap. Thus the basis of my question concerning Alaskan ground.

Thank you guys for bearing with me.

Yes, you can wander out 500 miles and start trapping. (Good luck with that) No, you can't build a cabin. To get a permit for a trapline cabin, you have to show a history of trapping in that area before you can apply for the permit. It can only be used for trapping purposes. You could possibly find a remote spot of land to purchase from the state, but there might be someone already trapping there. Your best bet is to move to Alaska first then get out and explore.

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise."
Re: Hey Alaskans, how did you aquire your trapline.? [Re: 358wsm] #6148055
02/04/18 09:02 PM
02/04/18 09:02 PM
Bethel, Alaska
fishermann222 Offline
"OX"
fishermann222  Offline
"OX"

Bethel, Alaska
You can not just decide where you want to trap and then build a cabin, unless you buy a chunk of remote land. Trapline cabins can be put up on state land, only after proving you have been trapping the area for a few years.

What is your occupation? That will determine what areas you can live in and easily find work.

I survived the Tman crash of '06
Re: Hey Alaskans, how did you aquire your trapline.? [Re: 358wsm] #6148186
02/04/18 10:15 PM
02/04/18 10:15 PM
Unit 14 Alaska
358wsm Offline OP
trapper
358wsm  Offline OP
trapper

Unit 14 Alaska
Eureka & Fishermann,

Thank you both. You have answered my question clearly and I understand.

My occupation has been that of an accomplished carpenter (both framing and finish) from foundation (masonry) to roof top and every detail in between, whether building the cabinets or making my own T&G flooring... I do all of it.
I've made my living, humble though it may be, with my own two hands and have been building homes and doing remodels for 34 years now. I do all phases of residential work except that I sub out electric and HVAC to licensed installers.

I am actually on the Island of Maui as we speak working three projects. The homeowner discovered me, hired me to do some work on a mainland project of his. He liked my approach and results so much that he asked me to come, all expense paid, to Maui and tackle these other needs of his. We struck a deal and here I am.

I've had to sacrifice a season of hunting and fishing in order to assist this family. I miss the North country about to tears, and cannot wait to get finished up and outta here. But, I won't be returning to Liberal New York.

Thus my incessant questioning concerning location.

I want to say say Thank You again.

Scott
Re: Hey Alaskans, how did you aquire your trapline.? [Re: chasing eyes] #6148189
02/04/18 10:16 PM
02/04/18 10:16 PM
Unit 14 Alaska
358wsm Offline OP
trapper
358wsm  Offline OP
trapper

Unit 14 Alaska
Originally Posted By: chasing eyes
Great question i will be following this one closely as I am now planning a trip to Alaska in March for a couple job interviews and some house hunting. So if everything work's out i will be looking into finding a spot of my own.

I wish you well.

Scott
Re: Hey Alaskans, how did you aquire your trapline.? [Re: AKHowler] #6148353
02/04/18 11:46 PM
02/04/18 11:46 PM
alaska
S
spotter Offline
trapper
spotter  Offline
trapper
S

alaska
Originally Posted By: AKHowler
Isnarewolves may have gained a little more trapline and I lost mine but just for you all's information, he's a lot tougher than he looked. I may have ended up with a broken nose and a few bumps and bruises but my new trapline is pretty sweet

You’re small but pretty wiry!

Re: Hey Alaskans, how did you aquire your trapline.? [Re: 358wsm] #6148492
02/05/18 04:38 AM
02/05/18 04:38 AM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
You’ve been given good info. To sum it up, in my opinion: you have to get here first, then start looking. For reasons like Oh Snap’s story, you’re not going to get very much information over the internet, no matter how genuine you are. You’ll get a lot more help in person. But like others said, unless you happen to stumble across someone wanting to sell a line, you’re still going to have to scout and find it yourself. I consider scouting and establishing a line sort of a “rite of passage.” Anyone can set traps, and anyone can follow a trail blazed by someone else. But nothing proves you’ve got the grit like learning the land and doing the hard work that comes before the fur.

If you’re coming here to work and live, then those are going to determine where you’re based. From there you start scanning Google Earth and land ownership maps, most of which are available online but only by borough I believe (I’m not aware of a statewide ownership map.) USFWS has a good interactive ARCGIS map on their website that shows major landholders. Basically you start looking for good looking areas and access, then get out and scout during trapping season to see if anyone else is there. And still, some people take rest years from their lines, and might come back next year and claim it. So it really takes a lot of homework and legwork just to get started. Your mode of access will make the biggest difference in where you can go. Boat? Snowmachine? ATV? Foot? All have limitations, and a learning curve.

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: Hey Alaskans, how did you aquire your trapline.? [Re: KenaiKid] #6148914
02/05/18 02:04 PM
02/05/18 02:04 PM
Unit 14 Alaska
358wsm Offline OP
trapper
358wsm  Offline OP
trapper

Unit 14 Alaska
Originally Posted By: KenaiKid
You’ve been given good info. To sum it up, in my opinion: you have to get here first, then start looking. For reasons like Oh Snap’s story, you’re not going to get very much information over the internet, no matter how genuine you are. You’ll get a lot more help in person. But like others said, unless you happen to stumble across someone wanting to sell a line, you’re still going to have to scout and find it yourself. I consider scouting and establishing a line sort of a “rite of passage.” Anyone can set traps, and anyone can follow a trail blazed by someone else. But nothing proves you’ve got the grit like learning the land and doing the hard work that comes before the fur.

If you’re coming here to work and live, then those are going to determine where you’re based. From there you start scanning Google Earth and land ownership maps, most of which are available online but only by borough I believe (I’m not aware of a statewide ownership map.) USFWS has a good interactive ARCGIS map on their website that shows major landholders. Basically you start looking for good looking areas and access, then get out and scout during trapping season to see if anyone else is there. And still, some people take rest years from their lines, and might come back next year and claim it. So it really takes a lot of homework and legwork just to get started. Your mode of access will make the biggest difference in where you can go. Boat? Snowmachine? ATV? Foot? All have limitations, and a learning curve.

I agree, I have been given good advice, and yours is among the best of it.

Thank you for taking the time, and being so constructive and informative.

Scott
Re: Hey Alaskans, how did you aquire your trapline.? [Re: 358wsm] #6148918
02/05/18 02:09 PM
02/05/18 02:09 PM
Unit 14 Alaska
358wsm Offline OP
trapper
358wsm  Offline OP
trapper

Unit 14 Alaska

I just want to take a minute and say "thank you" to all who have contributed and who have been willing to intrust me with like information, from predator rifles and loads, to coon cubby sets, and to the sensitive topic of Alaskan trapping.

Scott
Re: Hey Alaskans, how did you aquire your trapline.? [Re: 358wsm] #6148982
02/05/18 03:34 PM
02/05/18 03:34 PM
Bethel, Alaska
fishermann222 Offline
"OX"
fishermann222  Offline
"OX"

Bethel, Alaska
As a skilled carpenter, you can probably find easy work in most of the hub communities. Dillingham, Bethel, Nome, Kotz, however there are also lots of trappers who have established lines in these areas. But if your willing to fly out from these areas to trap, the sky is the limit.

I survived the Tman crash of '06
Re: Hey Alaskans, how did you aquire your trapline.? [Re: 358wsm] #6149438
02/05/18 10:26 PM
02/05/18 10:26 PM
Palmer Alaska
C
chasing eyes Offline
trapper
chasing eyes  Offline
trapper
C

Palmer Alaska
Thanks Scott
Wish you well also.

Definitely getting excited now just booked our airline tickets.

Definitely a lot of good advice here.

Re: Hey Alaskans, how did you aquire your trapline.? [Re: 358wsm] #6149535
02/06/18 12:33 AM
02/06/18 12:33 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
You should have no problem finding work wherever you want !!

The most important element is dependability !!! Be there when you say you will !!

Mean As Nails
Re: Hey Alaskans, how did you aquire your trapline.? [Re: fishermann222] #6149579
02/06/18 02:47 AM
02/06/18 02:47 AM

W
Wylee
Unregistered
Wylee
Unregistered
W

Originally Posted By: fishermann222
Originally Posted By: Wylee
It ain't easy up here, I'll say that. Haven't had any luck meeting any friendly folks. Had a lot of people give incorrect info. Most everything valuable I've learned came by trial and error or "the hard way".

For me the experience was just the opposite, people were very into sharing. The thing a person has to do is be extremely humble while meeting seasoned Alaskan's and you MUST remember, you have 2 ears and one mouth.
For the record most of that experience was handled with my ears. I will admit I can be a motor mouth but I was raised with values. And trust when given advice I listen. Not just a babbling idiot here, I'm many other things too. Man it's hard to convey anything through text.

Re: Hey Alaskans, how did you aquire your trapline.? [Re: 358wsm] #6149581
02/06/18 02:50 AM
02/06/18 02:50 AM

W
Wylee
Unregistered
Wylee
Unregistered
W

Thanks Scott for allowing me to share my experience. Hope I didn't offend anyone else here, not my intention. I should have said I haven't made any real friends yet..and it's difficult because I rarely make it to civilization.

Re: Hey Alaskans, how did you aquire your trapline.? [Re: 358wsm] #6149705
02/06/18 09:44 AM
02/06/18 09:44 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Wylee: I suspect a lot of folks know who and where you are. Alaska is a small place in that regard.

Some of you may know that my daughter is married to Pete's son. I think I met Pete in 2000 but knew who he was for many years before that....even though we are several hundred miles apart. After all......his picture is in every post office in the country ! Our kids met before we did

Mean As Nails
Re: Hey Alaskans, how did you aquire your trapline.? [Re: 358wsm] #6149900
02/06/18 01:26 PM
02/06/18 01:26 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
For you new guys to Alaska, you've got to realize new guys to Alaska is a revolving door. Once the local people realize after 5 or 6 years that you are actually going to stay for the long haul, maybe people will invest the time in helping you out. I've tired of investing time in people who dream big and give up in a few weeks to a few years.

You know how many new guys have offered to help me cut trapline trail?

Last edited by Dirt; 02/06/18 01:36 PM.

Who is John Galt?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman