Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #6145524
02/02/18 02:36 PM
02/02/18 02:36 PM
South Texas Brush Country
TEJAS Offline
trapper
TEJAS  Offline
trapper

After several dirt hole dig outs at this catch circle, I put in a p-post set and had this female waiting a few days later.

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #6145580
02/02/18 03:50 PM
02/02/18 03:50 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
grin

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #6146080
02/03/18 12:43 AM
02/03/18 12:43 AM
ohio USA
Y
yotecope Offline OP
trapper
yotecope  Offline OP
trapper
Y

ohio USA
Set pics if you can Tejas

You gonna learn taday.....
Re: The Post set [Re: TEJAS] #6146238
02/03/18 09:24 AM
02/03/18 09:24 AM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Those old girls have a way with that... wink

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #6146348
02/03/18 11:29 AM
02/03/18 11:29 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
You have some nice looking dogs down that way James. Those post sets are a sure fire way to put an end to those cautious pesky educated dogs that come along every now and then.

Some seem to have difficulty with having much success with this type of set. But I can assure you that it can be a very productive set when its use and placement is better understood. I too in my early years didn't quite understand why I wasn't getting the results that I thought that I should.

I believe there is a maturing period and a learning curve that has to be acquired to really take advantage of this set. However once you get on to it you will surely find great rewards and gratification in the results of your new found skill...

Don't be too impatient at first. Experiment with different backings and placements on your line and you will soon begin to see a pattern as to what works well. I prefer vegetation post type backings in agriculture settings (tuffs of outstanding grass in color contrast or size, bean chaff,corn stalks etc ). In wooded areas I lean more towards rocks, trees and branches of sorts for marking spots. In pasture and feedlot areas cow patties work great for natural eye appeal scent markers.

I have used sticks, posts of all types and charred wood. It all works if the set,location and the subtle smell is right for them.
Too many over use lure at these sets.

A big cat couldnt resist a post/rub set on a large laying branch. Got two more cats,2 coyotes, a badger and a skunk here in a 9 days.

Two cats,3 coyotes and a skunk at this post set made against a corner of a round bale.12 days

A close up of the previous cat catch and some of the small branch debris I had used for a marking area in front of the bale.

An outstanding clump of corn stalks above the snow in a field corner made a sure thing scent post. 2 coyotes in 4 days here.

A small pile of dried cow patties with a couple drops of marking scent fooled this old dog at a gateway near a feed lot. My old buddy Seth knows this location well I am sure.:) He helps to cowboy this section I know.

A small pile of bean chaff on a harvested bean field edge along a field road access corner took 3 coyotes 3 days in a row. Turned out to be an exceptional marking/travel way for coyotes. Those kinds of locations can spoil a fella.

A better photo of the previous coyote catch shows the location much better.

Another corner field set up with a scent post of an outstanding corn stalk bent away from the access side.

Caught 3 coyotes, 2 fox, coon and opossum here in a week with 2 traps. I call my favorite post set the two drop set.

Many of these scent post/rub set ups were placed with a dirt hole type or flat set / walk thru type set a few feet away. Many scent posts were placed as a stand alone set at a noted or man made scent post that I planted in that position or used at remakes. They all work once you get on to these placements.

I most always set 2-4 traps per location sometimes many more at known draw stations.

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #6149678
02/06/18 09:19 AM
02/06/18 09:19 AM
ohio USA
Y
yotecope Offline OP
trapper
yotecope  Offline OP
trapper
Y

ohio USA
Wow just got back to this thread .. Thank you Mr.Jameson for the info . I wait out on a little scout adventure yesterday after work found a nice set of tracks and followed them awhile,it was a pair of yotes but they never marked a thing. That being said I did see where I probably could entice them to mark a few things if I take the lead hopefully I can get them in this evening after work and hopefully have some before and after pictures

You gonna learn taday.....
Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #6149741
02/06/18 10:14 AM
02/06/18 10:14 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Its kind of like seeing a hot pretty girl approaching you on the street or in a shopping place. When she walks past you, if you are able, you just have to turn and take a look going the other way if you aren't in the company of another that may frown upon that behavior. LOL

Canines can't resist or help themselves on marking a previously marked area even if its not particularly in the most obvious area. Many times they will mark a dead mouse, a strange object that catches their interest, an ole bone or who knows what strikes their fancy along the way. Just predators being predators.

I find I get a much higher rate of success on these sets after a good rain. I know predators are anxious to remark their territory after fronts to keep their presence known to travelers or occasional invaders into their realm.

Just keep the set well blended and don't over lure the placement and let it ride. I catch lots of cats and coon on scent posts which aren't intended targets in most cases. That is just further evidence of the interest these sets with subtle odor can attract.

Years back when I was trapping some old grown up strip mine properties I found a marking spot/toilet station. It was used by fox that had found an old discarded oil filter from a vehicle left years ago interesting enough to mark. It was laying in the grassy medium on an old access road to the mine.

I caught several fox there during my time on that leg of my line. I used a slide away wire system much like you would for beaver or coon to run the catch over a grassy bank to hide each catch and to keep them from destroying the set after the catch. Great set up there. I love those set ups when they can be used. You do have to plan ahead some to allow time to set it up but well worth the effort when you can identify the potential of a location.

Animals are just plain curious by nature and driven by instincts that they just can't resist nor can you at times. smile

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #6149745
02/06/18 10:15 AM
02/06/18 10:15 AM
S.W. Michigan
L
late bite Offline
trapper
late bite  Offline
trapper
L

S.W. Michigan
I followed a pair of coyote tracks the other day with fresh snow and found where one marked a fallen branch at the edge of a bean field, I was shocked at the height of the object it was marking. The branch end was 16-18" off the ground, it was kind of a aha moment.

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #6149749
02/06/18 10:19 AM
02/06/18 10:19 AM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline
trapper
ambush32  Offline
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Great thread....

I might end my season setting post sets...honestly never use them....maybe it's time to experiment...
Guessing, breeding season the post set will shine?

Thought I was a good trapper until I started trapping coyotes......
Thought I was a good bowhunter until I targeted mature bucks....
Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #6150124
02/06/18 05:56 PM
02/06/18 05:56 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
The best way to learn is to study track patterns in snow were they mark over another. After all that's how they'll work our sets when we lure and or urine them.
Good stuff Mr. Jameson

Last edited by trappergbus; 02/06/18 05:58 PM.

Re: The Post set [Re: Bob Jameson] #6150366
02/06/18 10:26 PM
02/06/18 10:26 PM
TEJAS Offline
trapper
TEJAS  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Bob Jameson
You have some nice looking dogs down that way James. Those post sets are a sure fire way to put an end to those cautious pesky educated dogs that come along every now and then.

Some seem to have difficulty with having much success with this type of set. But I can assure you that it can be a very productive set when its use and placement is better understood. I too in my early years didn't quite understand why I wasn't getting the results that I thought that I should.

I believe there is a maturing period and a learning curve that has to be acquired to really take advantage of this set. However once you get on to it you will surely find great rewards and gratification in the results of your new found skill...

Don't be too impatient at first. Experiment with different backings and placements on your line and you will soon begin to see a pattern as to what works well. I prefer vegetation post type backings in agriculture settings (tuffs of outstanding grass in color contrast or size, bean chaff,corn stalks etc ). In wooded areas I lean more towards rocks, trees and branches of sorts for marking spots. In pasture and feedlot areas cow patties work great for natural eye appeal scent markers.

I have used sticks, posts of all types and charred wood. It all works if the set,location and the subtle smell is right for them.

Many of these scent post/rub set ups were placed with a dirt hole type or flat set / walk thru type set a few feet away. Many scent posts were placed as a stand alone set at a noted or man made scent post that I planted in that position or used at remakes. They all work once you get on to these placements.

I most always set 2-4 traps per location sometimes many more at known draw stations.

Its kind of like seeing a hot pretty girl approaching you on the street or in a shopping place. When she walks past you, if you are able, you just have to turn and take a look going the other way if you aren't in the company of another that may frown upon that behavior. LOL

Canines can't resist or help themselves on marking a previously marked area even if its not particularly in the most obvious area. Many times they will mark a dead mouse, a strange object that catches their interest, an ole bone or who knows what strikes their fancy along the way. Just predators being predators.

I find I get a much higher rate of success on these sets after a good rain. I know predators are anxious to remark their territory after fronts to keep their presence known to travelers or occasional invaders into their realm.

Just keep the set well blended and don't over lure the placement and let it ride. I catch lots of cats and coon on scent posts which aren't intended targets in most cases. That is just further evidence of the interest these sets with subtle odor can attract.

Years back when I was trapping some old grown up strip mine properties I found a marking spot/toilet station. It was used by fox that had found an old discarded oil filter from a vehicle left years ago interesting enough to mark. It was laying in the grassy medium on an old access road to the mine.

I caught several fox there during my time on that leg of my line. I used a slide away wire system much like you would for beaver or coon to run the catch over a grassy bank to hide each catch and to keep them from destroying the set after the catch. Great set up there. I love those set ups when they can be used. You do have to plan ahead some to allow time to set it up but well worth the effort when you can identify the potential of a location.

Animals are just plain curious by nature and driven by instincts that they just can't resist nor can you at times. smile

This is some solid advice & valuable insight; along with a great set of photos & descriptions.

Thanks for taking the time to post this Mr. Jameson.

Re: The Post set [Re: ambush32] #6150966
02/07/18 04:37 PM
02/07/18 04:37 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Originally Posted By: ambush32
Great thread....

I might end my season setting post sets...honestly never use them....maybe it's time to experiment...
Guessing, breeding season the post set will shine?

True, but I use them at most gang sets all season. If I set just one set its a scent post..

Re: The Post set [Re: Bob Jameson] #6150996
02/07/18 05:32 PM
02/07/18 05:32 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas

A big cat couldnt resist a post/rub set on a large laying branch. Got two more cats,2 coyotes, a badger and a skunk here in a 9 days.

Two cats,3 coyotes and a skunk at this post set made against a corner of a round bale.12 days

A close up of the previous cat catch and some of the small branch debris I had used for a marking area in front of the bale.

An outstanding clump of corn stalks above the snow in a field corner made a sure thing scent post. 2 coyotes in 4 days here.

A small pile of dried cow patties with a couple drops of marking scent fooled this old dog at a gateway near a feed lot. My old buddy Seth knows this location well I am sure.:) He helps to cowboy this section I know.

A small pile of bean chaff on a harvested bean field edge along a field road access corner took 3 coyotes 3 days in a row. Turned out to be an exceptional marking/travel way for coyotes. Those kinds of locations can spoil a fella.

A better photo of the previous coyote catch shows the location much better.

Another corner field set up with a scent post of an outstanding corn stalk bent away from the access side.

Caught 3 coyotes, 2 fox, coon and opossum here in a week with 2 traps. I call my favorite post set the two drop set.

I recognize a few of those locations. I might've hung some steel on a few in some of these same locations. Lol just keeping the spots warmed up until you make it back out.😁

Re: The Post set [Re: USMC47 🦫] #6151073
02/07/18 07:22 PM
02/07/18 07:22 PM
Northern Utah
B
Bucksnorts Offline
trapper
Bucksnorts  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Utah
Originally Posted By: USMC47
There was an abandoned set of roads on a base where I was trapping. The firehydrants were still there. I smeared a little castor on the hydrant and caught a yote. Buddy doubted me.

I wish I had trapped when I was in. I spent 4 years at the Stumps and looking back I realize I could've had some fun trapping out there.

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #6151106
02/07/18 08:08 PM
02/07/18 08:08 PM
Pa, usa
T
Trapper new Offline
trapper
Trapper new  Offline
trapper
T

Pa, usa
So can anyone explain why to use a charred post set?

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #6151111
02/07/18 08:13 PM
02/07/18 08:13 PM
Kanawha Co West Virginia
R
ron miller Offline
trapper
ron miller  Offline
trapper
R

Kanawha Co West Virginia
The charred post stands out in brown or green grass , also in snow ! The burnt post also holds urnine, gland or other scent !
God bless ya

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #6151116
02/07/18 08:15 PM
02/07/18 08:15 PM
Kanawha Co West Virginia
R
ron miller Offline
trapper
ron miller  Offline
trapper
R

Kanawha Co West Virginia
The contrast of the black post in daylight or night is unbelievable !

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #6151133
02/07/18 08:26 PM
02/07/18 08:26 PM
TEJAS Offline
trapper
TEJAS  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: yotecope
Set pics if you can Tejas

Let me rummage through my photos and see what I can find YC.

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #6151539
02/08/18 10:18 AM
02/08/18 10:18 AM
Kanawha Co West Virginia
R
ron miller Offline
trapper
ron miller  Offline
trapper
R

Kanawha Co West Virginia

This pic was taken last night in the Hill Country of Texas, burnt wood, bobcat gland and bobcat urine, Grey Fox,
burnt piece of wood really stands out, this was a night time pic !

Re: The Post set [Re: yotecope] #6151553
02/08/18 10:33 AM
02/08/18 10:33 AM
Oklahoma
Ken Smith Offline
trapper
Ken Smith  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Im new and I have to ask. How much is too much lure? I have some nice post sets out but I'm afraid I may have over done it.
I've noticed that many of my sets connect long after I should have pulled them.

Right now I'm pushing for cats real hard and I have maybe 3 post out, and plan on adding more soon.

I've been using Sierra mist, Rocky mountain Rub, and some Sweetwater flat tail.

Last edited by Ken Smith; 02/08/18 10:47 AM.

Matthew 7:6 KJV
Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine....
-OFBA, NTA, FTA, TTFHA-
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91