No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Topic Options
Hop to:
#6156777 - 02/13/18 03:49 PM New member, enjoying getting back into trapping!
Rcates Offline
trapper

Loc: Kansas
Hello trapperman, first post here so hopefully I can figure out the pictures right.

After an 8 year break from trapping I decided to ease myself back into the sport. My family is growing but my son is old enough to start introducing to the woods. That makes things much more special to me to have him included. I decided since deer season here was over I might as well trap for a couple weeks to re-learn a few things and then hopefully next year take a week or 2 off work to run a longer line. Could not find any of my coilspring traps and remembered that I sold them while I was in college. I ordered a dozen MB 550s and set on some good locations that I can check before work. The 1st week I only had time to set 6 coyote sets and then set the rest when I found more time. Managed to catch 7 coyotes and a bobcat in that time frame. Also caught more coons than I wanted as well but my son really enjoyed checking the traps with me and told everyone all about it. He will make a fine outdoorsman.

Here is a picture of us on the 1st morning that he could come check traps with me.

2 out of the last 3 coyotes caught were rubbed pretty good so I moved sets and switched over to targeting cats. Caught this pretty female.

Things have definitely changed while I was away. 1st time using the 550s and am very impressed. Was also my first experience with earth anchors. Holy cow. I pulled a few of the traps on a nice 55 degree day and realized just how good they hold. Don't have a nice puller so used a short chain and a handyman jack (after failing with some other brilliant ideas). Learned my lesson after straightening out a few j hooks and breaking a cable. I even drilled around them before my attempts. Next year will have quick clips on everything to ease with that and changing out dirty traps.

Luckily my wife enjoyed tagging along on the weekends so I'm sure she won't mind me ordering a few dozen more traps before next season wink Had a blast and can't wait for next winter!

#6156782 - 02/13/18 03:51 PM Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! [Re: Rcates]
Rcates Offline
trapper

By the way, that is the first time I have caught a bobcat with both feet. I'm sure it happens often but was a first for me

#6156785 - 02/13/18 03:52 PM Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! [Re: Rcates]
Law Dog Offline
trapper

Loc: Central, SD
Looks like you hit the ground running after 8 years, WTG!

Jerry Herbst

#6156804 - 02/13/18 04:14 PM Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! [Re: Rcates]
bleeohio Offline
trapper

Loc: NW Ohio
That's what it's all about, getting the family involved when you can. Looks like you haven't forgotten how to do it either.

John 10:27

#6156831 - 02/13/18 04:47 PM Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! [Re: Rcates]
Osky Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern MN
Pretty great stuff there Rc.... Congratulations. Ask anything here, tons of knowledge to be found.

Osky

www.SureDockusa.com

#6156842 - 02/13/18 04:57 PM Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! [Re: Rcates]
mttrapperguy Offline
trapper

Loc: missoula, mt 59803
Great job. You have some great years ahead of you to enjoy trapping and having the family come along.

#6156849 - 02/13/18 05:04 PM Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! [Re: Rcates]
forestman3 Offline
trapper

Loc: Huntingdon Co. Pa.
For only a dozen traps you did good.Nice looking cat.

#6156879 - 02/13/18 05:38 PM Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! [Re: Rcates]
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper

Loc: Fontana KS
Nice job getting the family involved and nice catch. Depending on your location the state convention in Seneca Dec 5-7 might be a good place to get new gear without shipping cost.

#6156933 - 02/13/18 06:48 PM Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! [Re: Rcates]
Pawnee Offline
trapper

Good job. Glad your back trapping

#6157043 - 02/13/18 08:21 PM Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! [Re: Rcates]
Rcates Offline
trapper

Thanks everyone! I really missed it. Now let's hope coon market gets better

#6157133 - 02/13/18 09:32 PM Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! [Re: Rcates]
thebeaverguy Offline
trapper

Loc: MA
Excellent.

#6157144 - 02/13/18 09:46 PM Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! [Re: Rcates]
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper

Loc: Southwest Michigan
Way to go, you have probably heard it a lot, but I'm telling you again. That boy will grow up real fast, spend as much time as you can with him. The time I have spent with my son on the line and putting fur up has been priceless. Now he's 17 and Is talking about joining the coast guard, hard to believe how fast he has grown up

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell

#6157297 - 02/14/18 04:27 AM Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! [Re: Rcates]
micheal Offline
trapper

Loc: Saginaw, Mi
Congrats

#6157383 - 02/14/18 06:47 AM Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! [Re: Michigan Trappin]
Rcates Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Michigan Trappin
Way to go, you have probably heard it a lot, but I'm telling you again. That boy will grow up real fast, spend as much time as you can with him. The time I have spent with my son on the line and putting fur up has been priceless. Now he's 17 and Is talking about joining the coast guard, hard to believe how fast he has grown up

I believe every word of that. At this age it is amazing how fast they grow and change. We have boy #3 due in April which will give us a 3yo, 2yo, and newborn. (I've been busy grin ). Someday I will have plenty of help.

#6157410 - 02/14/18 07:16 AM Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! [Re: Rcates]
Kansas Rook Offline
trapper

Loc: Hutchinson KS
Glad your back in it! We can stand to thin the herd here in Kansas! keep it up!

#6157449 - 02/14/18 07:57 AM Re: New member, enjoying getting back into trapping! [Re: Law Dog]
330-Trapper Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Originally Posted By: Law Dog
Looks like you hit the ground running after 8 years, WTG!
That's what I was thinking. Welcome to T-man.