No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Remington Arms filing for bankruptcy [Re: Teallbrook] #6156739
02/13/18 04:54 PM
02/13/18 04:54 PM

B
bleeohio
Unregistered
bleeohio
Unregistered
B

Blame it on whatever suits you, but remington has been on a downward spiral for a long time. I'm surprised they kept afloat this long? Bad designs, bad customer service, heck even their ammo quality went to pot.

Re: Remington Arms filing for bankruptcy [Re: lebowski] #6156748
02/13/18 05:06 PM
02/13/18 05:06 PM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
[quote=lebowski]when do you think this change happened to the 870s? Mine is from 1993 and have had no issues with it...

I bought my 1100 in 1988, my buddy bought a 870 the same year. I am not sure when it happened but I'd say sometime in the late
90's or early 2000's. I can definitely tell you the quality of the stock and metal is not what it is with mine. Heck my buddy's
870 was $380 in 1988 and you could buy a new one for about $280 in 2010?

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog!"
Re: Remington Arms filing for bankruptcy [Re: Mike in A-town] #6156749
02/13/18 05:07 PM
02/13/18 05:07 PM
Michigan
coonlove Offline
trapper
coonlove  Offline
trapper

Michigan
Originally Posted By: Mike in A-town
Does anyone make a reasonably priced firearm anymore?... One that is worthy of use and being passed down? Not stamped aluminum and Rynite!

I'd pay upwards of a grand for a bolt rifle that looked halfway nice and worked well enough to pass on to my grandkids when the time comes. Browning? Weatherby?

Mike

Mike, plenty of quality vintage used guns that fit the description. Shop around. Even quite a few sporterized Springfields and Mausers out there that are still fine pieces. For a Grand on a new gun, A guy could hardly do better than a Ruger #1. I keep my eyes out for gently used at gun shows and have come up with some bargains.

"I'm the paterfamilias"
Re: Remington Arms filing for bankruptcy [Re: Teallbrook] #6156770
02/13/18 05:33 PM
02/13/18 05:33 PM
lincoln co mo
jonesy Offline
trapper
jonesy  Offline
trapper

lincoln co mo
my 1187 has been flawless and taken a barge load of critters

Re: Remington Arms filing for bankruptcy [Re: jonesy] #6156784
02/13/18 05:51 PM
02/13/18 05:51 PM
Michigan
coonlove Offline
trapper
coonlove  Offline
trapper

Michigan
Yes, the average Joes are going to say "I have a Remington XXXX and it works great" But what about all the people in the class action barrel suit, and the trigger group guys? I have Remington guns also, but always wonder when it will be mine.

"I'm the paterfamilias"
Re: Remington Arms filing for bankruptcy [Re: coonlove] #6156792
02/13/18 06:03 PM
02/13/18 06:03 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted By: coonlove
Does anyone make a reasonably priced firearm anymore?... One that is worthy of use and being passed down? Not stamped aluminum and Rynite!

I'd pay upwards of a grand for a bolt rifle that looked halfway nice and worked well enough to pass on to my grandkids when the time comes. Browning? Weatherby?

Mike

Mike, plenty of quality vintage used guns that fit the description. Shop around. Even quite a few sporterized Springfields and Mausers out there that are still fine pieces. For a Grand on a new gun, A guy could hardly do better than a Ruger #1. I keep my eyes out for gently used at gun shows and have come up with some bargains.

Rugers... Sako.... Some Winchesters...Savage upper or lower models... To name a few.

Osky

Last edited by Osky; 02/13/18 06:04 PM.

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Remington Arms filing for bankruptcy [Re: Mike in A-town] #6156800
02/13/18 06:11 PM
02/13/18 06:11 PM
Oklahoma
M
Matt28 Offline
trapper
Matt28  Offline
trapper
M

Oklahoma

Mike
I have a new weatherby vanguard with the new 2 stage trigger it been a decent gun so far. But if I was going to buy a new gun and plan on having it for ever, I would get a Thompsoncenter,tika or sako. Them are my picks.

Re: Remington Arms filing for bankruptcy [Re: Teallbrook] #6156816
02/13/18 06:33 PM
02/13/18 06:33 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Thanks guys.

I was starting to think that I was going to have to save up and go to the Holland & Holland showroom in Dallas. Lol

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Remington Arms filing for bankruptcy [Re: coonlove] #6157391
02/14/18 08:50 AM
02/14/18 08:50 AM
Tug Hill, NY
S
Squash Offline
trapper
Squash  Offline
trapper
S

Tug Hill, NY
Originally Posted By: coonlove
The Remington 700 safety/trigger problem has gone on for a long time. There was a recall of guns made between 2006 and 2014. Also a ton of barrel failures in 870s and 1100s. They settled a class action suit on that one years ago. Their product line has gotten cheaper and even included some imported guns, so all the symptoms were in place.

Not true, the class action suit has not yet been settled. I sent a 700 back this past fall for trigger repair on a rifle that had a discharge without a trigger pull. Was told by Remington that the suit is still not settled, but the judge has ruled Rem has to repair every 700 that has this problem . Also, on their website, where you enter your rifles serial number to check to see if your rifle is affected, does not give accurate info.. My serial number stated it was OK, but when I called Rem. They said my rifle needed to be repaired , and no cost to me.

Much of their financial problem is thanks to Andy Cuomos SAFE Act. It cost them to move much of their operation to Alabama.
But if they close, Herkimer, Ilion, and Frankfort, NY, Will suffer . Thanks Andy Cuomo and the rest of the NY Democrats for making northern NY the new Appalachia.

Re: Remington Arms filing for bankruptcy [Re: Teallbrook] #6157405
02/14/18 09:11 AM
02/14/18 09:11 AM
NY
E
Elitebowman Offline
trapper
Elitebowman  Offline
trapper
E

NY
Remington Arms is 25 miles from my house. It employs many people in our Area. I personally have a few of their guns, and I really like them. Grew up and used them exclusively. I have never had an issue that was a big deal. Took one gun in last fall for a problem. FIxed it for nothing. I have had the gun for close to 30 years. Right now they are ferlowing their workers here and there. I hope they get it together because I like their line, and want the area to not take a bad hit if they leave this area. I also have used a 700 model 243 for 25 years with no problems. My son loves that gun. Killed his first few deer with it.

Re: Remington Arms filing for bankruptcy [Re: Teallbrook] #6160953
02/17/18 07:29 PM
02/17/18 07:29 PM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
As a 30 year retired former employee (retired in 2004) I can tell you this: DuPont owned Remington until 1993 when they sold it to investment bankers out of NYC, Clayton, Dublier & Rice, we used to refer to them as Dewie-Cheatem and How. THAT was the beginning of the downfall. They moved all of the salary R&D people to Kentucky, the over 50 ones they terminated and lost a big lawsuit (including DuPont) for age discrimination, held the company for 8 years because they couldn't sell it at year 5, they had bled too much out of it. Finally Ceribus (spelling) Finacial purchased the business and set up the Freedom Group. That's when they started buying up the other companies. It's been chaos inside ever since.
Remington is the longest, continuous manufacturing facility in the United States. The model 700 has been under lawsuits for decades. Mostly by the same law group that vowed to put Remington out of business. I can say this, if you own an older M700 and you do NOT tamper with the sear engagement screw, and you clean it as the owners manual instructs with Rem Oil, NOT WD40, BAD, BAD, BAD, you will not have a problem with it.
The 870 Chinese look alike is a close look alike, but don't overload it by mistake.
The company situation now has been caused by bankers. That's it. Sad thing to us that worked there when DuPont actually cared about product quality.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread