No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
MO Trappers' Association Auction this Saturday! #6158136
02/14/18 08:33 PM
02/14/18 08:33 PM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
The MO Trappers' Association auction is this Saturday the 17th in Montgomery City at the Fairgrounds! We're scheduled to start at 8am and will run til we're done. I'd guess, based on last year, that we'll be done around lunch. There is a 50cents per pelt commission on sales. You do NOT have to sale fur to attend! Come see some great MO fur, talk to some trappers from across the state, see how a well-run auction runs, talk to local and out of state fur buyers, see some well handled fur and pick up some helpful tips and advise.

This is some of the fur I'll be bringing from my 2017-18 season. Hope to see you there!

For those interested, I will try to do as I have in the past, posting the results of my sales, and the over-all auction results.

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Re: MO Trappers' Association Auction this Saturday! [Re: cfowler] #6158182
02/14/18 09:05 PM
02/14/18 09:05 PM
lincoln co mo
jonesy Offline
trapper
jonesy  Offline
trapper

lincoln co mo
your surrounded by some fine looking fur and good luck to everybody at the sale....

Re: MO Trappers' Association Auction this Saturday! [Re: cfowler] #6158222
02/14/18 09:51 PM
02/14/18 09:51 PM
10714 Apple road Carthage,Mo6...
C
Cletis Richards Offline
trapper
Cletis Richards  Offline
trapper
C

10714 Apple road Carthage,Mo6...
Originally Posted By: cfowler
The MO Trappers' Association auction is this Saturday the 17th in Montgomery City at the Fairgrounds! We're scheduled to start at 8am and will run til we're done. I'd guess, based on last year, that we'll be done around lunch. There is a 50cents per pelt commission on sales. You do NOT have to sale fur to attend! Come see some great MO fur, talk to some trappers from across the state, see how a well-run auction runs, talk to local and out of state fur buyers, see some well handled fur and pick up some helpful tips and advise.

This is some of the fur I'll be bringing from my 2017-18 season. Hope to see you there!

For those interested, I will try to do as I have in the past, posting the results of my sales, and the over-all auction results.
Looking good Cliff

Appleroad Predator Bait

www.appleroadlures.com

Like us on Facebook

Re: MO Trappers' Association Auction this Saturday! [Re: cfowler] #6158225
02/14/18 09:54 PM
02/14/18 09:54 PM
North Missouri
L
longbow31 Offline
trapper
longbow31  Offline
trapper
L

North Missouri
Hopefully I can run up for a while Saturday morning and say hi. Be fun to see everyone.

Re: MO Trappers' Association Auction this Saturday! [Re: cfowler] #6158233
02/14/18 09:59 PM
02/14/18 09:59 PM
missouri
J
Justin E Offline
trapper
Justin E  Offline
trapper
J

missouri
42 lots of fur so far and some of the best buyers in the mid west will be there

Re: MO Trappers' Association Auction this Saturday! [Re: Justin E] #6158242
02/14/18 10:09 PM
02/14/18 10:09 PM
Kansas. MS.
J
Joe krogman Offline
trapper
Joe krogman  Offline
trapper
J

Kansas. MS.
Wow, That's a lot of fur and a great put up. Hope you do well.

Re: MO Trappers' Association Auction this Saturday! [Re: cfowler] #6158317
02/14/18 11:46 PM
02/14/18 11:46 PM
Northern Missouri
Northmocats Offline
trapper
Northmocats  Offline
trapper

Northern Missouri
Looks like a successful trapping season. Hope everything sells well good luck!

Re: MO Trappers' Association Auction this Saturday! [Re: cfowler] #6158321
02/14/18 11:55 PM
02/14/18 11:55 PM
SE Nebraska
T
trapperne Offline
trapper
trapperne  Offline
trapper
T

SE Nebraska
Are those rats in the front? They look like huge rats

Follow me on Facebook @ Lincoln Fur
Re: MO Trappers' Association Auction this Saturday! [Re: trapperne] #6158364
02/15/18 01:10 AM
02/15/18 01:10 AM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
Originally Posted By: trapperne
Are those rats in the front? They look like huge rats

They are rats in the front. Probably 40 or so 15" and above. Only a couple 17" or so. They are out front, so the pic probably distorts them a little. The one in the center is a 17" or bigger.

~You Grin, You're In~
Re: MO Trappers' Association Auction this Saturday! [Re: Justin E] #6158365
02/15/18 01:12 AM
02/15/18 01:12 AM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
Originally Posted By: Justin E
42 lots of fur so far and some of the best buyers in the mid west will be there

Thanks for that update on the number of lots. Last I heard through the grapevine was low 30's. I know you put in a lot of effort and time overseeing the auction for us. Thank You! Very much appreciated. See you Friday.

~You Grin, You're In~
Re: MO Trappers' Association Auction this Saturday! [Re: cfowler] #6158426
02/15/18 06:07 AM
02/15/18 06:07 AM
Saginaw, Mi
M
micheal Offline
trapper
micheal  Offline
trapper
M

Saginaw, Mi
Lookin good

Re: MO Trappers' Association Auction this Saturday! [Re: cfowler] #6158442
02/15/18 06:59 AM
02/15/18 06:59 AM
lincoln co mo
jonesy Offline
trapper
jonesy  Offline
trapper

lincoln co mo
how many buyers??

Re: MO Trappers' Association Auction this Saturday! [Re: cfowler] #6158505
02/15/18 09:01 AM
02/15/18 09:01 AM
Misery
Michael Morris Offline
"Hombre que mata demasiadas cosas"
Michael Morris  Offline
"Hombre que mata demasiadas cosas"

Misery
Way to go Cliff! You busted your hump and the proof is in the picture! I will be at the sale 8am! Look forwarding to meetin some missouri trappers and seeing some old friends!

Push yourself to be more than you were
Re: MO Trappers' Association Auction this Saturday! [Re: jonesy] #6158661
02/15/18 11:24 AM
02/15/18 11:24 AM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
Originally Posted By: jonesy
how many buyers??

I don't know. JustinE is the auction chairman, and I've talked to him in the past about other auctions. Hard to get a commitment from many buyers. We aren't the only sale around usually. Last year I think we had 15 buyers. Only had commitments from 5-6. This year I believe there's about the same number that confirmed they would be coming. It only takes a few good buyers. Those (don't know who) that have confirmed are usually among the stronger buyers. Some buyers don't want to tell us yes and someone else no. So they just show up. Some commit so that better handled fur items, they are stronger buyers of, are available. They have strategies in their buying I'm sure. I'm expecting about 5 buyers, and hoping for more. I've attended the last 5 auctions. Always been more buyers than expected. Have heard MANY buyers compliment us (association) for running a good sale. We have lots of good volunteers that help get the fur moved from the trappers truck, to the fur buyers.

~You Grin, You're In~
Re: MO Trappers' Association Auction this Saturday! [Re: cfowler] #6158723
02/15/18 12:46 PM
02/15/18 12:46 PM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
Just a short basic description of what to expect if you come to sell fur.

1) you need a lot number. This can be obtained by contacting Justin Elliot at (573) 692-4454, or, you can just show up and purchase a number there. You must be an association member to sale. You can renew your association membership or join at the sale. A Lot Number is $20. This covers the 50cents per fur commission on the first 40 furs you sale. If you sale less than 40 furs, there is no refund. The full $20 commission fee still applies.

2) there will be about five rows of tables. These are for display and staging. When your lot number is called, you will bring your furs into the building and lay them out on one of the rows of tables. There are plenty of association members willing to assist you through this entire process.

3) your number will be called again when it's time for your furs to be placed on the conveyor belt. Staging your furs on the display tables, in the order you intend to sale, helps volunteers (if you need assistance) get your fur to the conveyor belt in the order you want them.

4) when your furs are ready to be auctioned, you will need to be by the auctioneer. You need to know exactly what you have. I write all mine down. In order each bundle or fur is being sold. You tell the auctioneer what the item(s) being sold is, he announces it, and starts the bidding. Once a final bid is announced, you have the option to NO SALE. If you no sale, this is the point you must state it, otherwise, it's considered sold, and a volunteer will be taking the fur to a buyer. I always write down the final bid on my list as I go down it selling.

5) after your fur is sold, you will go get your receipts and pay any additional commission fees. (Example: you sell 50 coons, you will owe a $10 commission fee in order to pick up receipts)

6) you take each receipt to the buyer who purchased that fur(s), and get your money. Please assist the buyers by having your trapping or hunting license handy. They need to copy information from it into their ledgers.

7) you're rich now, you're a fur trapper. Knowledge and experience are the only things that retain their true value anyways. Gotta embrace that idea in a down market. Have fun! Learn some new stuff! Don't take yourself too seriously!

A fur comb is where it all starts. Use it! Take some pride in your fur. It's the end result of your efforts, and it speaks volumes about you as a trapper, an outdoorsman or woman, and an individual. Clean, well-handled fur brings more money. And if you don't know how to put-up fur, there are plenty willing to share their knowledge on the subject.

Your furs need to be tagged and state: size, number of pelts, and your lot number.
Examples: I have 50 3X coons. I will split that into 2 bundles of 25 to make it easier to carry. One tag will have my lot #, 3X coons, 25 of 50. The other bundle will have my lot #, 3X coons 25 of 50. As your furs come down the conveyor belt towards you and the auctioneer, the buyers are able to look at the furs. They need to know what they're looking at and bidding on. The tags provide that information to them. Like in the example, the buyers know that there's two bundles that are up for bid. These tags don't have to be fancy. A cardboard box cut into pieces is a common item used to make tags, index cards, just needs to be attached, and easy to read. Do NOT use wire to bundle fur together! You can use almost any type small rope pieces you can find around.

Hopefully that helps give a basic description of what to expect if you haven't sold your fur at our auction before. You don't have to sell to attend! Come just to check it out, even if you're not a member. And, if you come and you don't have every thing quite right, volunteers will assist you and get you through the process with a friendly smile!

~You Grin, You're In~
Re: MO Trappers' Association Auction this Saturday! [Re: cfowler] #6158787
02/15/18 01:59 PM
02/15/18 01:59 PM
Missouri.
T
topgun Offline
trapper
topgun  Offline
trapper
T

Missouri.
does anyone bring whole frozen critters for taxidermy market?

Re: MO Trappers' Association Auction this Saturday! [Re: topgun] #6158835
02/15/18 02:58 PM
02/15/18 02:58 PM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
Originally Posted By: topgun
does anyone bring whole frozen critters for taxidermy market?

YES! I do. So do others. We tried a special auction for taxidermy items, but taxidermist said they are able to get more items than than need many times from trappers directly, especially in this down market. Whole frozen carcasses are sold as a regular item though. Cats and otter are the two most common. Buyers have expressed a preference at our sale for these items whole frozen. That's not to say other buyers might prefer put-up, some do. Couldn't explain why. I will say that an animal sold whole, for possible taxidermy, should be somewhat unusual or odd in some wày. A black otter, a large rosette spotted cat, something to that nature tends to do well. Still, I have sold my average otter or mink (I sell these whole too), to a taxidermist attending the sale. Some taxidermist obviously prefer to shop around and see what is available, rather than just accept what comes through their door. It's a market, and like all markets, you need a seller, a buyer, and an agreed upon price. The association provides the market place and contacts buyers and sellers. We (the association and it's volunteers) hire the auctioneer, rent the building, and set up everything, assist buyers and sellers throughout the whole auction process, then we clean it all up. The sale is one of the biggest benefits offered to our members. Whether the member is a trapper, or he hunts with dogs. Yes, we do have members who aren't trappers. Wanna know why? The auction brings the buyers from our state and others into one place, so you're not just hearing from one buyer what they're willing to give you. PLUS, there's just a lot of good folks àt our auction willing to assist you in presenting your fur in the best way possible.

~You Grin, You're In~
Re: MO Trappers' Association Auction this Saturday! [Re: cfowler] #6159315
02/16/18 01:15 AM
02/16/18 01:15 AM
Northern MN
I
Itasca taxidermy Offline
trapper
Itasca taxidermy  Offline
trapper
I

Northern MN
For anyone who hasn't attended an auction that the Missouri Trappers association holds it is usually a sight to behold. Great group of guys to be around and I always felt that I got a more than fair price there. I attended the auction if it was held in Montgomery City at the fairgrounds even if I wasn't able to set that season. When I first started trapping some of the buyers would even mention after my lot sold what I could improve on finishing my fur. I wish there was the same type of auction organized through the Minnesota association id give it a try.

ItascaTaxidermy.com
Re: MO Trappers' Association Auction this Saturday! [Re: cfowler] #6159956
02/16/18 08:14 PM
02/16/18 08:14 PM
Farmington,mo
R
Rikki1 Offline
trapper
Rikki1  Offline
trapper
R

Farmington,mo
Awesome job cliff. I tried to load a pic but no luck. I'll see ya up there tomorrow. I drew lot# 1 lol. Tim

Re: MO Trappers' Association Auction this Saturday! [Re: cfowler] #6159996
02/16/18 08:53 PM
02/16/18 08:53 PM
Melrose,Minnesota
JeremyEickhoff Offline
trapper
JeremyEickhoff  Offline
trapper

Melrose,Minnesota
Looking great my man! Hope your hard work brings you gratification at your sale!

Those rats look awesome!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread