No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
rear sights for Savage MSR patrol AR-15 #6158476
02/15/18 08:37 AM
02/15/18 08:37 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline OP
trapper
Kart29  Offline OP
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
fellow trappers:

I recently sold an old gun to free up some money to purchase my first AR-15. I am leaning toward buying a Savage MSR Patrol model. However, it looks like it has crummy rear sights on it. I intend to use iron sights only on this rifle. So, I want a good rear sight with both windage and elevation adjustments available at the rear sight.

It looks like a detachable carry handle may be the way to go. However, this model of AR15 rifle says something about it having a low profile gas block. So, I'm afraid a standard rear sight will not work well with a low profile gas block. But honestly, I don't even know what a gas block is so I may be concerned for nothing.

I still think black rifles are ugly but everyone else has one and I like to play with guns so I figure it's time to check them out. But, dang! They are confusing!

So how about it? Does anyone know if adding a standard detachable carry handle or other quality fixed rear sight would work with the Savage MSR Patrol? Do you have any suggestions on how I can find out?

Much thanks!
Kart29
crazy

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: rear sights for Savage MSR patrol AR-15 [Re: Kart29] #6158503
02/15/18 09:00 AM
02/15/18 09:00 AM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
The elevation adjustment is usually in the front sight on an AR and the windage is on the rear. So any quality rear sight you can fit to the rail will do you just fine.

On sale at the moment
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/si...-prod42048.aspx

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: rear sights for Savage MSR patrol AR-15 [Re: Kart29] #6158561
02/15/18 10:01 AM
02/15/18 10:01 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline OP
trapper
Kart29  Offline OP
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
Yes, it seems most of the mountable rear sights are flip up, backup style. But being the only sights on the gun, I'm not sure the flip-up, back-up style sights are going to be what I want. The gun already comes with a flip up style backup sight. But I want something better.

And having used my M1 in local rifle shooting competition I have come to expect quick elevation adjustments at the rear aperature. It's not uncommon to need a slight elevation adjustment when moving from prone to sitting positions. Eleveation adjustment at the front sight is not really practical in a competition environment.

None shall take thee

Re: rear sights for Savage MSR patrol AR-15 [Re: Kart29] #6158623
02/15/18 10:52 AM
02/15/18 10:52 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I think this is what your looking for

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/372401...-aluminum-matte

while it uses a 0.50 minute adjustment wheel that is with the rifle length gas system I think as a mid-lenght gas system it tends to run 0.70 minute

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 02/15/18 10:58 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: rear sights for Savage MSR patrol AR-15 [Re: Kart29] #6158682
02/15/18 11:52 AM
02/15/18 11:52 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline OP
trapper
Kart29  Offline OP
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
Yes, that's what I'm looking for. I just question if that will work with the front sight that comes with the rifle.

None shall take thee

Re: rear sights for Savage MSR patrol AR-15 [Re: Kart29] #6158721
02/15/18 12:46 PM
02/15/18 12:46 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
it should most all of the front sights are 2.5 inches above bore access . just measure from the center of the barrel to the front sight post.

it looks like the savage uses a sight tower that is different from the standard military f-marked sight tower probably to keep the gas tube close to the barrel to accommodate a lower profile hand-guard

the next question if your shooting local military rifle matches will the savage qualify for the rules. if it would I would be interested in how your shoots work our club is looking at starting up a semi informal club level only military rifle type match.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: rear sights for Savage MSR patrol AR-15 [Re: Kart29] #6158755
02/15/18 01:23 PM
02/15/18 01:23 PM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline OP
trapper
Kart29  Offline OP
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
GREENCOUNTYPETE,

I usually just participate in the weeknight club matches. They supposedly follow NRA high power rules but I think they get a little lax on the equipment rules for the weeknight matches. I think they are mostly for practice. The weekend matches they have once a month get a bit more serious and the rules are enforced more stringently. But I can never make the matches on Sunday mornings so I just stick to the weeknight practice matches. I'm not real serious about competition shooting but feel like participating in the matches made me a MUCH better shooter than just shooting targets on my own.

Thanks for your help, all.

None shall take thee

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread