No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: Mike in A-town] #6161235
02/18/18 02:10 AM
02/18/18 02:10 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted By: Mike in A-town
I don't know Angela, a lot of these schools are huge nowadays.

My little podunk school's entire campus... elementary, middle, and high school... would fit in the sports complex of Union High School in Tulsa. And that's just one of the schools in Tulsa.

My wife grew up in California. Her school district didn't even have its own buses... It was cheaper for the schools to provide passes for the kids to ride city buses because there were so many kids.

Mike

Ok, but with schools that large, it should be a simple matter to afford metal detectors, locking doors, and an armed guard to open the locked doors, no?

I mean, if my village of 800 did the first 2 20 years ago.....

Edited to add: The metal detectors did not come for 3-4 years after I was out of school

Last edited by yotetrapper30; 02/18/18 02:13 AM.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161237
02/18/18 02:13 AM
02/18/18 02:13 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Not completely random. I keep hearing people in these discussions say that these shootings are happening because we took God out of our schools.

It would take a totalitarian state to put God back in our schools.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161238
02/18/18 02:19 AM
02/18/18 02:19 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
I don't believe the shootings are happening because they took God out of schools. I believe a big part of it is because they took God out of HOMES, or pretty much any mention of Him anywhere. All that said, I think you can still raise a good kid without God, but it will come harder. Religion inherently teaches morals. I believe agnostics can have morals, but it's not something inherent. It doesn't come natural, it's learned. And because it is learned, your kids would also need to learn it, instead of it just coming natural through their religion.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161240
02/18/18 02:36 AM
02/18/18 02:36 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Morals are independent of religion. I do believe that.

But I'm not going to say you're wrong, yotetrapper. My wife and I raised a son to have good morals, and he turned to God when he grew up. So you never know.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: James] #6161253
02/18/18 05:20 AM
02/18/18 05:20 AM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: James
Not completely random. I keep hearing people in these discussions say that these shootings are happening because we took God out of our schools.

It would take a totalitarian state to put God back in our schools.

Jim

I know what you meant... I just figured one extreme rant was worthy of another. wink

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161256
02/18/18 05:42 AM
02/18/18 05:42 AM
Illinois
foxkidd44 Offline OP
trapper
foxkidd44  Offline OP
trapper

Illinois
thanks for the reponses so far......I know my idea isn't a perfect one......but we need a starting point someplace , because yes......our society is crumbling. when twisted thinking becomes accepted and proper morals tossed aside................how do you fix that??

Stand by your principles, Stand by your guns, and victory complete and permanent is sure at last.
Abraham Lincoln
Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161284
02/18/18 07:37 AM
02/18/18 07:37 AM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
You folks, probably, don't want to hear my take on this, but, here goes. Including this last "massacre" there have been a total of 138 people killed in school shootings over the past 6 years. That translates to about 23 a year. This is hardly an epic problem! In fact, it is nearly the same number of children who die each year on the high school football field, and pales in comparison to the number killed in car accidents (which averages about 7 each DAY) for 16-19 year old drivers. The only reason this is being talked about at all is to create an agenda and each and everyone of you on this thread is biting. Yeah, it sucks if your kid is killed in a school shooting, but is sucks just as bad if he/she is killed or dies some other way and many if not most are preventable, but not convenient. If everyone made their kids walk to school, we could save more lives in a week than will be killed in a year of school shootings. Somehow, I don't see that happening. This might be one of the more ridiculous threads I have I have seen. The mainstream media has sure found a way under the skin of a crapload of people. Just based on what I am seeing here, there will be a scary black rifle vote in the near future for a problem that is less worrisome than a mosquito bite (94 people died in 2016 from the West Nile Virus). The point is, nobody can protect you an yours from everything and the argument of "If it saves just one life, it is worth it, no matter the cost" is ridiculous. The cost? Well, you will get to keep your life, but your liberty and persuit of happiness will be history.

"The voice of reason!"
Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161304
02/18/18 08:45 AM
02/18/18 08:45 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
Trapperkeck hit it on the head. The anti-2nd amendment folks don't want this problem solved because school children being killed by other school children with guns is their most effective argument for gun control. Just like they don't want the immigration problem solved, they don't want school shootings solved. Part of selling their argument is also selling the idea that the solution is up to the federal government. Nothing could be further from the truth when it comes to protecting our children, but if you buy the lie then you won't be taking action locally. The real answer is to implement deterrents at the local level, school by school. Parents should be demanding immediate action from the local school boards. Don't accept the litany of excuses that Adam M listed. Everyone of them can be overcome, and when it comes to cost remind them that protecting our children is more important then educating them. A dead child can't learn anything.

Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161319
02/18/18 09:16 AM
02/18/18 09:16 AM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

Trapperkeck, if they would ban these more children's lives would be saved than are lost from mass shootings,car accidents,sports injuries,etc. combined.

Yet the same folks wanting to ban guns will fight tooth and nail to keep these instruments available.

Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161389
02/18/18 10:58 AM
02/18/18 10:58 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Exactly Mike.
Angela not at all a minority. I would estimate 90%+ of all schools here are similar.
I searched Google maps of the high school attack 11 main buildings and roughly 5 other buildings.
Just under 3000 kids go there.

I agree J. Staton.

EdP,

It's not an excuse but a logistical and safety nightmare to implement metal detectors. For the same price if not much cheaper, I would rather have teachers and staff armed and trained. Sure schools could be remodeled to create funnels but that's a huge timly undertaking especially for small town schools. How do you protect the parking lots the fields drop off zones etc...?

I wouldn't mind a slight tax increase if I knew it was just for the protection of students. The solution isn't the governments. No matter what safety precautions are taken attacks will happen which need to be met with quick and force.

Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161397
02/18/18 11:10 AM
02/18/18 11:10 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
We had a school shooting back when I was in grade 10.They had just built a brand new high school,and in November the first year two drunk bushwackers went to the school one night.There was night classes going on and some janitors there.One guy put a gun to the janitors head and said -go call the cops,we want to kill some cops.
The janitor took off and got the classes to lock down the people in there.The cops showed up and a shoot out followed.I heard a first hand account from a cop that was there,that the cops were at one end of the hall,and the two bushwackers were at the far end of the long hallway.One guy would jump out into the hallway and fire off his rifle,then duck back into another hallway.Then a couple of cops would jump out at the other end,and unload their 38 revolvers,then duck back.This went on for a while,when one cop said-When the one guy jumps back in I can see part of his arm sticking out,I'm going home and get my rifle.he came back with his rifle and when he got the opportunity,he shot off the guys arm.When the wounded bushwacker fell out into the hallway,the other guy stepped out into the hallway with his hands up and was drilled through the guts with a 38 special round.I had just moved north to this town with my folks a week before,and wound up getting a week off school until they replaced the bullet riddled lockers and patched up and painted the walls.
I remember thinking to myself,I'm really gonna like living here,its just like the wild west,lol.
And I think the whole thing just made the local news one night,that was it.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161401
02/18/18 11:13 AM
02/18/18 11:13 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Average cost of walk through metal detectors is $4k each and that's just for the unit. + installation and people to be posted at each one all day. Hand held units average $150 + people to be posted at all times. Boston schools have both walk through ones and at least 2 hand held ones per walk through detector.

Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161405
02/18/18 11:20 AM
02/18/18 11:20 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
It is a combination of reasons, They took Good out first and that Started the disrespect. That year in a National survey of teachers; the #1 school issue stated was gum under the students was putting gum under the desk.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161408
02/18/18 11:22 AM
02/18/18 11:22 AM
MN
FlyinFinn Offline
trapper
FlyinFinn  Offline
trapper

MN
Local control of schools would help solve the national hand wringing. What is good for new York city isn't good for buxton, ND. Centralized control of ANYTHING used to be disparaged in this country. Now we argue about putting metal detectors in all the schools. How about if you're passionate about a metal detector you tell your school board to put one in your local school.leave the rest of us alone.

Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161435
02/18/18 11:43 AM
02/18/18 11:43 AM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
Quote:
I think we need a totalitarian state that shoves God down everyone's throat. That would take care of these school shootings.

Jim

confused

Vietnam--1967 46th. Const./Combat Engineers

"Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction."
"After the first shot, all plans go out the window!"
Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161447
02/18/18 11:56 AM
02/18/18 11:56 AM
Perham Minnesota 54
R
racerboy108 Offline
trapper
racerboy108  Offline
trapper
R

Perham Minnesota 54
I see a lot of different reasons on how we got to this point.

The technology world has changed kids up bringing. Whether it's social media or video games its deterioted kindness to each other. And yes video games are a big part of the problem. Millions might play and only a few might only act out to the extreme but millions others carry out less extreme acts of violence imitating them. Thinking they are not part of the problem is being negligent on our part.

The value of life has been lessen due to the constant propaganda of playing kill games. Even cartoons are violent.

Putting God back in school would not work today as there is to many types of religion out there today. And the person teaching would push their own beliefs or interpretations on the kids.

Teaching respect and morals need to come from the parents but today we have way to many broken families so a lot of kids never get that. Our educational system puts way to much pressure and emphasis on subjects that really don't matter. Our schools have lost the teacher parent relationship. Administrations are running schools like a business rather than caring what parents think. I see that even in the school my kids attend in northern Minnesota. They blame federal rules as they claim thier hands are tied. I say they are hiding behind the system and going along with it.

Fix the welfare system and quit taking jobs away from rural areas and the families would do a better job raising kids. Fix the educational system to really believe in no kid left behind and our kids would not feel they are failures. And get rid of the tenured bad teachers.

These kids are good kids but thier exposures in life is what is separating them. Some do have mental problems that need extreme attention but we don't have a answer to help them. Why NOT?

Lack of compassion toward each other whether it's shootings or just bullying someone driving down the road just because one person feels they are more important than the next person is all part of this new its all about me mentality.

Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161474
02/18/18 12:19 PM
02/18/18 12:19 PM
Perham Minnesota 54
R
racerboy108 Offline
trapper
racerboy108  Offline
trapper
R

Perham Minnesota 54
I want to add one more thing.

Gun control has been and will continue to be used as a go to blame subject.

It's unfortunate guns get used to carry out these acts giving gun owners a bad name.

Guns are exploited as bad today because of these acts and the constant visual tool used in video games that most of the population only sees.

Majority of our population are not people like us using guns for their proper intent as hunting.

Today all you see or hear are the bad use of guns being used in drugs, games, crimes. This paints the wrong image on gun owners. I for one do not like guns to be promoted as bad.

Should we as honest respectful gun owners allow the use of guns to be used in a negative way. We can fight gun rights against the animal rights people but where we are losing the battle in the public eye on seeing guns used in a negative violent way.

Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: racerboy108] #6161486
02/18/18 12:30 PM
02/18/18 12:30 PM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
Originally Posted By: racerboy108
I want to add one more thing.

Gun control has been and will continue to be used as a go to blame subject.

It's unfortunate guns get used to carry out these acts giving gun owners a bad name.

Guns are exploited as bad today because of these acts and the constant visual tool used in video games that most of the population only sees.

Majority of our population are not people like us using guns for their proper intent as hunting.

Today all you see or hear are the bad use of guns being used in drugs, games, crimes. This paints the wrong image on gun owners. I for one do not like guns to be promoted as bad.

Should we as honest respectful gun owners allow the use of guns to be used in a negative way. We can fight gun rights against the animal rights people but where we are losing the battle in the public eye on seeing guns used in a negative violent way.

I would have to disagree with the bolded statment above. If the majority of people weren't treating firearms the way they should be treated, we would have a lot bigger problems than we do now! We only hear about the tiny fraction of the population carrying out despicable acts with guns.

"The voice of reason!"
Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161489
02/18/18 12:31 PM
02/18/18 12:31 PM
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
trapper234 Offline
trapper
trapper234  Offline
trapper

Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
I say post more signs stating that guns are not allowed on the property. That seems to be working. LOL

Life Member WTA
Life Member NRA
Member NTA

Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161498
02/18/18 12:44 PM
02/18/18 12:44 PM

O
Oh Snap
Unregistered
Oh Snap
Unregistered
O

3 adult male teachers were gunned down. If they were armed I would bet the outcome would have been different!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread