No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: nightlife] #6164706
02/20/18 11:58 PM
02/20/18 11:58 PM
1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
I dont care who kills who as long as its not one of my loved ones. I spent ALL DAY in court waiting to testify. Ill never get that day back. Both her and her old man were juiced up on steroids being body builders showing their beach muscles. She seemed to be a nice girl, knew her for years and never saw her snap.I dont feel guilty for the tip, but thanks for saying that.
Personally, I wouldnt want a weapon in my hand because it would make it harder to choke someone out. A guy needs to be able to use his hands.
Originally Posted By: nightlife
Originally Posted By: Mike Flick
A woman named Sally Mcniel was a friend of mine, and asked the same advice. I told her a shotgun. A month later she shot her husband and I had to testify at her murder trial. She should be getting out of prison about now. Happened in 1995. I wont give that advice again.

So you would feel better if she shot him with a 9mm

Its not your fault if someone takes your advice or instruction and uses it in ways that are wrong

Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6164707
02/21/18 12:00 AM
02/21/18 12:00 AM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
Home defense and conceal carry are two different animals.

I have a number of stashed weapons for home defense. Shotguns, take center stage. That's what I have within reach of the bed.

Near the doors I have .45ACP.

As others have noted: A shotgun is not really a "scattergun" at home defense range. Buckshot patterns at about the size of a softball. Yep, better than a single bullet; but, still requires more aiming than pointing.

Plinking with a revolver also works. Especially if you happen to live in the year 1860.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6164711
02/21/18 12:02 AM
02/21/18 12:02 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I shot a raccoon with a 20ga #6 shot at 20-25 feet after running it out of a corn crib , then I shot it again , and again I could see the shot hitting it the fur moving with each shoot , but it kept standing back up an walking then I shot it with a slug and got the results I wanted the first time.

I am not advocating slugs in the house but there will be no bird shot for me.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 02/21/18 12:06 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6164721
02/21/18 12:19 AM
02/21/18 12:19 AM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
Originally Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

I am not advocating slugs in the house but there will be no bird shot for me.
I agree that the hunting variety of slugs don't make any sense in the home. However, load them down with about 18-20 grains of a faster burning powder under a 7/8-1oz slug, and you have something that will penetrate an invader's jacket, and not so very much beyond your walls.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6164745
02/21/18 12:59 AM
02/21/18 12:59 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Originally Posted By: Grandpa Trapper
Which is your go to firearm for inside defense of your home. Do you prefer a revolver or semi-automatic?

Not to sound like a smart guy but....The one I'm closest to is my preferred defense gun. I have guns throughout the house. Usually my 45 is closest but that's not always the case.

Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6164758
02/21/18 01:16 AM
02/21/18 01:16 AM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
....revolvers and lever action rifles....anything else is for scared women and Yankees lol

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6164765
02/21/18 01:24 AM
02/21/18 01:24 AM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Don't know about y'all Savell... But we whipped the Comanches a while back.

And not all of us can "slap tame" everything.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6164770
02/21/18 01:36 AM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
....I hear you about the dadgum Comanches Mike....had a rouge band ride through here last week...I poured a little old crow fire water in an 81 ford hubcap ...had their heads so bunched up together that a shotgun just wouldn't have been sportin enough lol

...I'm sorry the devil made me say that lol

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6164771
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Revolvers don't jam. Semi's hold more bullets. Any centerfire gun or buckshot or slug is going to penetrate walls. Evil doer high on dope may not even know you just shot him with a 22.

This is a 100% certainty. ANY GUN IS BETTER THAN NO GUN IF THE BOOGEY MAN SHOWS UP. Arm yourself. Shoot and shoot often the firearm you choose to protect your family with. Practice shooting in the dark.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6164792
02/21/18 02:09 AM
02/21/18 02:09 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Revolvers for me...and a couple shotguns

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6164812
02/21/18 03:31 AM
02/21/18 03:31 AM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Revolvers are pretty much panic proof. Another option might be a glazer safety round or two then conventional rounds for follow up. I believe the glazer safety rounds where originally designed for air marshals to reduce the likelihood of putting a hole in a plane while in flight. That being said a glock 21 with night sights and 200gr XTPs keep the boogie man out of mind. Oh and a couple of very protective lionhounds.
I agree with the post above about shooting low I wouldn't want to penetrate an exterior wall. A .45 in the knee or thigh especially a pelvic hit would definitely slow anyone down.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: tomahawker] #6164834
02/21/18 05:57 AM
02/21/18 05:57 AM
South Central PA
oneoldboot Offline
trapper
oneoldboot  Offline
trapper

South Central PA
Originally Posted By: tomahawker
Revolver just start yankin. No safety to forget, no feeding issues,

I have a friend who runs a ranges for law enforcement and has done so for 20+ years. He always talks about semi-autos malfunctioning on the range, but only remembers once in that time a revolver had an mechanical problem.

This isn't my thing, but I understand that there are home defense rounds that are designed to expand rapidly and dissipate energy when making contact with sheetrock.

Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6164838
02/21/18 06:13 AM
02/21/18 06:13 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
How about Tracer loads, Shellcrackers, or Pyrotechnic loads alternating between some HyShok loads just to keep the bad guys attention?

I live out in the country, and late at night I answer the door with a very bright light and a Ruger Super Redhawk. Recently, a deputy came to the door around midnight looking for information about an auto accident. He was quite surprised but understanding. I invited him in and turned off the light and put down the gun and all was fine.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6164841
02/21/18 06:46 AM
02/21/18 06:46 AM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
I only know that if an intruder enters my house and threatens my family I am shooting for a kill shot and don't care if my walls have a hole in them. I don't want to get his attention or try to scare them off... I am talking dead. I was always taught if you point a gun at a person you had better plan on killing them. Any other tactics would be like hunting and not trying to ruin ANY meat with a shot. Most will get away and someone else will have to deal with them... JMO

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6164842
02/21/18 06:47 AM
02/21/18 06:47 AM
orange co, nc
B
brisket Offline
trapper
brisket  Offline
trapper
B

orange co, nc
I have one gun that stays with me all the time,it's a semi auto in 9mm. cc, truck, house, woods , everywhere. I am so comfortable shooting it i can just look at the target and bullets will hit it. All the rest of the guns stay in the safe, I got kids.

Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6164850
02/21/18 06:58 AM
02/21/18 06:58 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
Grandpa has new hand gun fever.
Record high temps here yesterday.

A gunsmith from Valencia, who testified at a LOT of trials,
advised against any and all hand loads or combo stacking the mag for self defense.

He had seen lawyers successfully twist that into premeditated.

Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6164860
02/21/18 07:28 AM
02/21/18 07:28 AM
Iowa
C
coydog2 Offline
trapper
coydog2  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
If the lawyer successfully twist that around of hand loads or combo staking the mag for self defense,how will they be for factory ammo that can worst then some hand loads,beside the law officers use also.This was brought up on another site and it was said they need to prove that the hand load was for what they call. I am not saying that it can not be done.like you stated Wright Brothers that some can do it. I think it also have to do how it was used also.For how some stated on here will be said for if they did had to use it will be call premeditated for how they would use what ever they have.Just for what I see. Like shoot in the feet and then finish them off . Also for what Biden said about shotgun use. Too many end up behind bars for it.They said well VP Biden said to use it that way.

Life member of DAV,NTA,NRA,ITA.Also member of FTA,CBA
Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6164887
02/21/18 08:03 AM
02/21/18 08:03 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
Originally Posted By: Jerry Jr.
I beg to differ on that. By the time my kids were 3 they have been shooting. Told them countless times that if they would like to see or hold a gun all they have to do is ask and bad things will happen if they do not ask. It didn't hurt that I blew up a few milk jugs for them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't leave them laying everywhere but I don't have to worry about them looking for them. They know where they are and all they have to do is ask and they can see them or even go out shooting. I will drop just about anything to do so.

Raise them around them and don't hide them from them and they are just another tool.

Heck, one of the first things I do when my kids have friends over is show them the guns and spend a bit of time taking guns out and show them till they are happy. Take the mystery away.

Not a one size fits all but it is what has worked for me. Just things that I had picked up from those that I have been around growing up and starting a family.

Jerry Jr.

That's exactly what I do with my boys, Jerry. Anytime they want, I will get out the guns and let them look at them and handle them all they want. I make sure any time they feel like looking at the guns that I drop whatever I am doing and give them the opportunity. But, every time we get out the guns I make double sure they know the consequences if they ever touch one of my guns if their mom or dad is not around. We always go over gun safety rules while we are looking at the guns, too. I've been really pleased with how this policy has worked. My sons aren't afraid of the guns and are accustomed to them to the point where they hold no fascination or interest for them. They just don't have any motivation to handle them when I'm not looking. The guns are really no different than a pipe wrench to them. The guns are just something that has always been there and aren't that interesting.

Still, they are just boys and I don't trust them much. I was a kid before and I know just how dumb kids can be. I keep ammo separate from all but one shotgun at the ready and out of easy reach from a 10 year old, and two carry pistols that I keep loaded and in a quick access gun safe on the dresser drawer.

I have a 20 ga. Rem 870 jr. loaded with #2 buckshot. It is very short - something like 36" overall with an 18.5" barrel. has screw-in choke tubes. It serves as primary home defense gun, canoe and camping gun, and will soon be a good hunting gun for a boy.

I feel like small buckshot is a good compromise between stopping power and birdshot which lacks penetration. I am most comfortable shooting a pump shotgun and like the fact that it is properly pointed rather than aimed. In a panic it seems it would be easier to focus on the target rather than focusing on the front sigth. In any case, a shotgun throws A LOT of lead! If trying to put down a threat to hearth and home, I don't think there's anything more effective than sending out large masses of lead. Perhaps only a Tommy gun would send out more lead in a short time than a shotgun.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6164892
02/21/18 08:10 AM
02/21/18 08:10 AM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
Staying in the big city with my girlfriend when the back door got kicked in. I jumped up like a bitin sow and went runnin and hollerin down stairs in my fruit of the looms ready to do battle. They split before I got there, which was a matter of seconds. Point being I didn't grab anything, just went on a rampage to get downstairs. I don't know that if I had a gun I would have done everything correctly. One in the chamber, safety off etc. It was a dead sleep to full adrenaline. A revolver is simple. Yes you could practice and train and do everything correctly but I'm tellin ya when it happens your not in training mode. In the end they didn't get anything. The worst part is my stomping and hollering is what woke my girl and her roommate not the back door getting kicked in. Cops showed up, wasn't much they could do, took report and left. This is the part no one tells you about, now it's 3am, you just got broke into to and the back door is kicked in and won't shut, let alone lock...we didn't get any more sleep.

Last edited by tomahawker; 02/21/18 08:15 AM.
Re: Revolver or semi-automatic for home defense [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6164903
02/21/18 08:32 AM
02/21/18 08:32 AM
Central Florida/ Formerly Ohio
H
Hoppytrapsfur Offline
trapper
Hoppytrapsfur  Offline
trapper
H

Central Florida/ Formerly Ohio
9 Shot .22 revolver. I shot it 100's of times. Very comfortable with it.

Will

"Dad gum it" Larry C. RIP
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread