Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Taxidermy tan? #6156681
02/13/18 03:44 PM
02/13/18 03:44 PM
Alaska
A
AKnick Offline OP
trapper
AKnick  Offline OP
trapper
A

Alaska
I caught my first wolf this year and am planning on rugging it myself. Wondering where do you guys send your furs to get tanned for taxidermy? I sent a couple to moyles and was not satisfied with the taxidermy quality they produce. Thanks.

The word "civilized" has no place in any discussion of the affairs of this world.
Re: Taxidermy tan? [Re: AKnick] #6156766
02/13/18 05:24 PM
02/13/18 05:24 PM
N.J.
PineDoggin Offline
trapper
PineDoggin  Offline
trapper

N.J.
I think my Taxidermist uses Animal Artistry if that helps.

Re: Taxidermy tan? [Re: AKnick] #6156864
02/13/18 07:21 PM
02/13/18 07:21 PM
Southeast, AK
R
rosscoak Offline
trapper
rosscoak  Offline
trapper
R

Southeast, AK
I use furs for fun in idaho...I've yet to be disappointed by Hectors work.

Re: Taxidermy tan? [Re: AKnick] #6156881
02/13/18 07:42 PM
02/13/18 07:42 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

If you are rugging it yourself I would home tan it using just about any home tan kit, then after neutralizing and rinsing the skin tack it out on your rug board and proceed with the rugging process. There is no need to "break" the skin. I think they keep their shape much better when done this way instead of starting with a soft, garment tanned skin.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Taxidermy tan? [Re: waggler] #6157192
02/14/18 12:53 AM
02/14/18 12:53 AM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted By: waggler
If you are rugging it yourself I would home tan it using just about any home tan kit, then after neutralizing and rinsing the skin tack it out on your rug board and proceed with the rugging process. There is no need to "break" the skin. I think they keep their shape much better when done this way instead of starting with a soft, garment tanned skin.

X2 especially if you plan on displaying it on a wall

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Taxidermy tan? [Re: waggler] #6157458
02/14/18 10:04 AM
02/14/18 10:04 AM
Ohio
Ronaround Offline
trapper
Ronaround  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Originally Posted By: waggler

you brought up a really good point!

Re: Taxidermy tan? [Re: waggler] #6157703
02/14/18 01:47 PM
02/14/18 01:47 PM
fairbanks,ak.
isnarewolves Offline
trapper
isnarewolves  Offline
trapper

fairbanks,ak.
I would not totally agree with the home tanning concepts as posted. Yes it may be cheaper than paying a professional and quicker than a commercial tannery and yes you will end up with a very stiff/ridged rug.
But a commercial tan offers better stretch,thinner leather, consistence thickness of leather, and generally cleaner fur. Why are these important to a good mount? Thinner and consistence leather thickness allow sewing to be much easier and sewing seams such as in the arm pit will match much nicer. Also sewing your felt boarder and backing on the pelt will be more consistent and much easier. Of coarse you could use hot glue, but i would not recommend it. Commercial tanneries use cleaners in the drumming process and degrease pelts.All which give you a clean and lively hair and the hair will lay right in all the important places,such as around the eyes and ears(on a wolf rug). When the hide is thinned (shaved) properly. you'll have less chance of drumming(shrinkage) around your head, the taxidermy part of the rug.
But if your wanting to attempt tanning and rugging your first wolf for the experience. you will have fun and experience what commercial tanneries deal with on a daily basis and the time it takes to have a quality product.

Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid!
Re: Taxidermy tan? [Re: AKnick] #6157769
02/14/18 03:04 PM
02/14/18 03:04 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

^^^^^^^^^
I will agree to some extent, especially when it comes to thicker skinned animals. But a decent home tan using proper chemicals and de- greaser, etc, can produce very good results that are often better and much faster than commercially tanned skins.
I've seen skins that were sent off to fur dressers and the shipper requested that they be tanned for taxidermy purposes. Extra care was given to the face (eyelids, lips, etc.), however the chemicals and other processes used resulted in a very stretchy skin that made setting the eyes and other features pretty difficult. If a skin is sent off for tanning I'd recommend that it be sent to a tannery that specializes in taxidermy tanning and not fur skin dressing.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Taxidermy tan? [Re: AKnick] #6158079
02/14/18 07:58 PM
02/14/18 07:58 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Depends on how much time you want to put into it, and to some extent what equipment you have. Top taxidermists do their own tanning so that says something. I do a lot of it from bears to marten. Thin skinned animals like wolves need very little thining on the body. The head does require some thinning but that is easily done with a skife knife. I use a fleshing wheel now but did a lot by hand before I got it. With the new chemicals available now it is pretty easy to get a better tan or at least as good as a commercial tan, but you have to be willing to work at it.

Also be aware that there is a big difference in a taxidermy tan vs a garment tan.

Last edited by yukon254; 02/14/18 07:59 PM.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: Taxidermy tan? [Re: AKnick] #6159330
02/16/18 01:58 AM
02/16/18 01:58 AM
Northern MN
I
Itasca taxidermy Offline
trapper
Itasca taxidermy  Offline
trapper
I

Northern MN
I don't know if any of the above are as well but Ill throw in my opinion as a fulltime taxidermist. I personally send all my furs out that are to be rugged and those that are to be "wall hangers". As suggested above I would send to a tannery that provides a "taxidermy tanned" product especially if you are wanting to have a rug shell head put in. I have customers that have requested that I tan their fur especially bears so that they are extra rigid and stiff but many still prefer the soft tan as it provides options like laying over a stair rail or couch down the road. I have never used Moyle Mink for anything taxidermy related but have used them pretty extensively in the past for clients wall hangers but as with most big tanneries in the down fur market I think their turn around has gotten a little out of hand. Last 2 times I used them It took long enough I started getting calls from customers wondering about their furs.

All that to say this lol

You may look at The Wildlife Gallery, they are in Michigan but they have a shipping depot in Wasilla so you only pay shipping to and from their rather than the whole way. I haven't personally sent anything there so I'm unsure about the turn around time but I have mounted several customer supplied hides they did and all were very well done.

IMO

If you have any questions on the taxidermy part feel free to message me.

ItascaTaxidermy.com
Re: Taxidermy tan? [Re: Itasca taxidermy] #6159756
02/16/18 04:34 PM
02/16/18 04:34 PM
Alaska
A
AKnick Offline OP
trapper
AKnick  Offline OP
trapper
A

Alaska
I’ll look into them and I’ll let you know if I have any questions come time to rug it. I am going to do a head mount and am looking for a softer tan. Plan on hanging it over a loft handrail possibly. Thanks.

The word "civilized" has no place in any discussion of the affairs of this world.
Re: Taxidermy tan? [Re: yukon254] #6164592
02/20/18 10:35 PM
02/20/18 10:35 PM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB
Originally Posted By: yukon254
Depends on how much time you want to put into it, and to some extent what equipment you have. Top taxidermists do their own tanning so that says something. I do a lot of it from bears to marten. Thin skinned animals like wolves need very little thining on the body. The head does require some thinning but that is easily done with a skife knife. I use a fleshing wheel now but did a lot by hand before I got it. With the new chemicals available now it is pretty easy to get a better tan or at least as good as a commercial tan, but you have to be willing to work at it.

Also be aware that there is a big difference in a taxidermy tan vs a garment tan.

Hey Yukon, what’s the difference between taxidermy tan and garment tan?

Cold as ice!
Re: Taxidermy tan? [Re: AKnick] #6164743
02/21/18 12:54 AM
02/21/18 12:54 AM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
A taxidermy tan isn't broken as soft as a garment tan. Most taxidermists that I know tan their capes then freeze them wet. Then they mount them later. I had a wolverine garment tanned once with the idea of getting it mounted.....taxidermist would touch it. Might work for a rug, but not a mount.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: Taxidermy tan? [Re: AKnick] #6164769
02/21/18 01:30 AM
02/21/18 01:30 AM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J