No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Boiling sap [Re: coontraper] #6165852
02/21/18 11:31 PM
02/21/18 11:31 PM
Central PA, God's Country
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: coontraper
Sorry don't have any pics but that is what we will be doing to night.

Yo coon, I grew up at the other corner of the county from you. I love that place. Have fun making that family treat. We ate some with hot cereal this morning, and when i went back to check the pot had been cleaned out down to the metal. They left nothing. Yum

Re: Boiling sap [Re: robert.d12] #6165886
02/22/18 12:24 AM
02/22/18 12:24 AM
Kanabec Cty, MN
D
Drakej Offline
trapper
Drakej  Offline
trapper
D

Kanabec Cty, MN
As we only make a gallon or two of finished syrup we use my fur freezers(pretty empty during sugaring season) to "boil"(concentrate) our sap to finishing boil concentration. Pouring raw sap into gallon plastic recycled juice jugs and freeze for 12 hrs. Most water is frozen into slush ice. Unfrozen concentrated sap is poured off and refroze again. Three cycles it is ready to finish boil on stove with about 75% of water removed. An hour or two boil and all done. Tastes the same as when we boiled all day and half the night with grandpa. Some we don't even finish boil as it is the right concentration for making "maple" vinegar. Especially the end of the run sap.

I've learned enough thru the years to now know that I don't know enough. KNOWLEDGE IS FREEDOM.
Re: Boiling sap [Re: Drakej] #6166236
02/22/18 12:32 PM
02/22/18 12:32 PM
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Drakej
As we only make a gallon or two of finished syrup we use my fur freezers(pretty empty during sugaring season) to "boil"(concentrate) our sap to finishing boil concentration. Pouring raw sap into gallon plastic recycled juice jugs and freeze for 12 hrs. Most water is frozen into slush ice. Unfrozen concentrated sap is poured off and refroze again. Three cycles it is ready to finish boil on stove with about 75% of water removed. An hour or two boil and all done. Tastes the same as when we boiled all day and half the night with grandpa. Some we don't even finish boil as it is the right concentration for making "maple" vinegar. Especially the end of the run sap.

Very very cool, Drake. Thanks for the tip. Even though it is mostly water and should be discarded, we keep the bucket ice from cold days, because it keeps the collected sap fresh when we hit those warmer days and haven't yet boiled. Might try your freeze approach. And yeah, I'll tell ya what, that boil all day and half the night thing is exhausting

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread